• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Got 1st time burn done lol

DizzyMarkus

I new better (insert comments here lol) and took on a job for a long time friends Son -- see where this is going already do you :thumb:

60 shirts -- 1 sided, 1 color $720
Got a quote signed to beging work
Heres the issue --

I didn't grab a deposit becuase of "who he was" seemed honest etc.

I completed 60 shirts and called for drop off. I got there and he only had half the money. Here we go, complaining about rent for his store, laptop broke, Christmas orders etc. My worries I THINK NOT. So being the nice guy that I am, I left half the shirts and took half the money. I also allowed him to make 2 payments on the balance. He's 23 and trying to start a new business. MISTAKE #2 There has been no communication as of 2 weeks later. So I went to his store (hehe) in which he still didn't have the money, giving me lip about this and that and generaly feeling beat out of it I left. Now the third week he still not answering his phone etc. I took the balance of the shirts dropped them off to him and told him to "figure out how to pay me". I know I am most likely beat. The shirts were no good to me. What would you have done?

Did I mention I also did Shirt Tags for him out of the scrap while it was cutting, weeded and delivered-- heck Im not a dick lol

So theres my first cherry popped on being "nice" to family and friends being a year in shop. I do get deposits -- just let this one go. I'm sharing this so the newer guys believe the veterns inhere telling you how to do things :0)

Markus

ThinkRight

Half the money means you did not lose money...
Still did not make any though.
Keep bugging him and ....
Don't be ashamed of contacting the long time friend if it comes to that.

DizzyMarkus

Yes I actually asked his Mothors opinion. She called him and he started making stuff up etc --

He didnt have them all done.
The free labels-- he had to press on (not even mentioned in the quote)

I cut it off before it got ugly

OH YES LESSON LEANRED just stings more when you know better lol.

Yeah covered the materials, not my time

Markus

ProWraps

giving him the shirts -- nice of you.

not rubbing them squarely on your coin purse without showering for 3 days -- wasted opportunity.

J

john1

Dang, Yeah man i don't trust anyone. I don't care if your my Mom's best friend or my best friend. Call it harsh but i know from experience.

DizzyMarkus

coin purse -- rof still giggling everytime I say it :thumb: thank you lol

I agree Pat and John and for the most part haven't had any issues and have been taking deposits. But now its deposit from everyone -- even the pope lol

Thanks for all the wisdom shared

Markus

CP Signs

I've been following this holding back and trying to keep my cool until now! My good friend owns a restaurant/bar. He got a new partner and they changed the name of the place and a full redo of tbe inside. He kept telling me how much money his new partner is spending doing this. 2 days before the grand reopenning, he asked if I could at least get the outside signs done and that we would deal with the inside later. The signs were full prints. I met with him and his new partner and we all agree on size and layout. We worked all night trying to get it done in time. A few days after the openning, my buddy tells me his partner is not happy with the size and the price. I was shocked. 1 he agreed on it, 2 no one else would have got it done with 48 hrs. And because he was my buddy, I cut him a deal on the cost. So what I did is write down all the cost time and everything and told my buddy to show his partner. That was 4 weeks ago. Last night, the whole family decides to go to his restaurant for dinnner. We walked in, and right there in my face were a few new signs and logos!!!!!!!! My wife just loomed at me and said; let's go eat somewhere else. She saw my face and new it would be best not to stay (we had the kids with us ) . He has a lot of ansewring to do today!!!!!!!

Jillbeans

In the first case, the signed quote may get you paid if you take him to court.
However, you can't get money from a turnip or whatever and this kid seems like the biggest one in the garden.
It will also sever your friendship with their parent but oh well...she seems like one of those "Who? Not my precious angel!" type parents anyway.

Coin purse...hahahaha I picture a tattered sporran with a few flies bussing about.

Second case- I would send the "buddy" a bill. I don't have anything as clever as the stanky coin purse to add though.
B@stards.

I hate people.
Love....Jill

genericname

I've been following this holding back and trying to keep my cool until now! My good friend owns a restaurant/bar. He got a new partner and they changed the name of the place and a full redo of tbe inside. He kept telling me how much money his new partner is spending doing this. 2 days before the grand reopenning, he asked if I could at least get the outside signs done and that we would deal with the inside later. The signs were full prints. I met with him and his new partner and we all agree on size and layout. We worked all night trying to get it done in time. A few days after the openning, my buddy tells me his partner is not happy with the size and the price. I was shocked. 1 he agreed on it, 2 no one else would have got it done with 48 hrs. And because he was my buddy, I cut him a deal on the cost. So what I did is write down all the cost time and everything and told my buddy to show his partner. That was 4 weeks ago. Last night, the whole family decides to go to his restaurant for dinnner. We walked in, and right there in my face were a few new signs and logos!!!!!!!! My wife just loomed at me and said; let's go eat somewhere else. She saw my face and new it would be best not to stay (we had the kids with us ) . He has a lot of ansewring to do today!!!!!!!

Only did a few jobs for partnership-based restaurants at my previous job, but each one operated just like that. Wouldn't touch a partnership with a ten foot pole now.

To remain on topic. How can you run a retail storefront and not have $720 on hand? I know business is sometimes brisk, but you can't keep a shop open on pocket change! That kid either has your money, and doesn't want to pay you, or his business is an illusion, and he's just living in denial, and the tax man's gonna rip him a new one.

Not to change the subject but $12 a piece for 60 tshirts seems like a really high price even if art and screen fees are included. Things may be more expensive in New York but we would be at $7 each here. That leaves us with about a $4.00 profit on each shirt.. If you can get $12 good for you but we would be hard pressed to even land a print job at those rates.

StarSign

One word.....Collections! We shied away for years from ever really going after someone (too expensive, time, etc.) we found a good collections guy and if the letter from the lawyer doesn't get us paid, by the time the court date hits we always get our money.

petepaz

had that happen but it was my good friend’s father who stiffed me. Lettered some trucks that he needed in a hurry. Trucks where leaving out at 4:00am
I ran vinyl that day and was installing 9:00 till 12:00 (3 trucks) gave him terms because he was a friend. Got paid half the money and then times were tough so he said lets barter for the balance
(they are a shipping company so it was ok we ship stuff) then my friend quit working for his dad and never got any more money or free freight. Here is the topper, the company had the nerve to call me for
Unpaid freight bills…hahaha

fresh

Not to change the subject but $12 a piece for 60 tshirts seems like a really high price even if art and screen fees are included. Things may be more expensive in New York but we would be at $7 each here. That leaves us with about a $4.00 profit on each shirt.. If you can get $12 good for you but we would be hard pressed to even land a print job at those rates.

I was thinking the same thing. I'm pretty sure I can get them wholesale for less than $4 a pop (using Gildan or other similar tee.) So $12 each for 60 is pretty expensive imo. But to each their own, I often get $8/sq ft for banners (sometimes more!).

Graphiki

CP, I think what you should do is go for dinner bring the whole family...
After dinner tell them the food wasn't exactly what I thought it was going to be and I don't think I liked the price.
And then leave!

DizzyMarkus

Sorry to those that think $12 is too much --no screen printing was involved -- there are other details:

6 color combinations-- black shirt/white design -- green shirt/red design etc

The shirts were "tagless" meaning the tages were perfed for easy removal (this cost more)

a 5 day completion time ( that made sense lol)

Out of shop to meet, deliver sample and complete order

So not so out of the reality ah lol -- besides if I would have told you $10 that would have been to low :thumb: cant please everyone all the time. Larger quanties generate a larger discount

Glad to know it happens to everyone -- I would like to think this would be the last, but I am sure it wont be.

Jill ---
In the first case, the signed quote may get you paid if you take him to court.

I most likely will not for the little amount. I found out his hats are "falling off the back of a truck" also -- so he wont be around long. Paying for valueable lessons makes the learning so much more retainable. What else should I get besides a signed quote and signed art proof?

Thank you all,
Markus

704signs

You could of added SUCKS across the front of the leftover shirts and then gave them to all of the local bums and crackheads.

DizzyMarkus

hahahahahahaha Damn 00 I could have fun with that idea--- hmmm still got some extra stock around hehe

thanks for the chuckle -- still working on the coin purse deal lol

Markus