Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got a heat press for free

Discussion in 'Printwear' started by bigben, Feb 4, 2011.

1. bigben

bigben Very Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Quebec
    Ok, a friend of mine want to give me his heat press and I want to know if I should take it, sell it or put it in the garbage.

It seems an old model: National screen printing equipment. Model number GM-1620

What can you tell me about this? What I will be able to do with it? Good or not? I did not find anything on the web about this equipment...

Thanks

Ben

Tags:
  2. WildWestDesigns

WildWestDesigns Major Contributor

Sep 27, 2010
    Other then it seems to be a 16x20, I'm not getting much else on it. I dunno.

3. Sticky Signs

Sticky Signs Very Active Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Vancouver
    Free is a pretty good price. See if you can haggle with him to get the price down some more!
    I'd take it as long as it works. Great for making shirts for you or your staff or just for fun. Might even be able to sell some to certain clients.

4. anotherdog

anotherdog Very Active Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Also good for toasting sandwiches. A nice sideline.

5. Drip Dry

Drip Dry Very Active Member

Aug 11, 2004
    Long island NY
    Maybe you could sell it to a Nathans Hot Dog franchise.
    That's how they heated my last hot dog.

Better yet, maybe you could get your own franchise as a sideline....you already have half the equipment

6. OldPaint

OldPaint Major Contributor

silly boy, dont use a heat press for hot dogs...........YOU MAKE CUBAN SANDWICHES))))))))))))

7. binki

binki Premium Subscriber

Jul 23, 2007
    The PRC
    National Screen presses are good. Free is good.

You can cut apparel vinyl and press it on shirts. You can buy plastisol transfers and press them on shirts. One offs go for $15-$25.

8. bigben

Sep 3, 2007
    Quebec
    But does anyone know this compagny? What would be the difference with newer models? What price would you sell it? I've saw that 16X20 press are sold around 1000$ and 1500$ news.

9. spur

spur Member

Jun 4, 2010
    North Carolina
    Nationals were very popular in the 70's and 80's and are basically a rebranded HIX product.

As far as comparing them to new models (Geo. Knight, Stahls, HIX, etc.), the only difference will be features and ease of use.

If you take it and are planning to use it, get some heat strips to make sure it has consistent heat throughout the platen. Also, pop it open and give the wiring and connectors a visual inspection to make sure nothing is loose, broken, or burned.

10. PromoGuyTy

PromoGuyTy Member

Mar 4, 2007
    HENDERSON
    +1

11. phototec

phototec Very Active Member

May 23, 2008
    Belton
  12. iSign

iSign Major Contributor

Nov 29, 2003
    Kahului, Maui
    mine is a National... purple color, rock solid... never let me down... bought it used for around $100... third time i got, or let go of one around that price...

take it if you need it... let someone else take it if you don't...

take it to profit on it if you want, but just make a quick Franklin or 2... don't go gettin' crazy

13. bigben

Sep 3, 2007
    Quebec