• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Got our GS6000

acothran

We received our GS6000 on Monday and installation/training finished today. My initial impression is that the print quality is nothing short of amazing and the RIP is straightforward and easy to use. We upgraded from a Seiko Colorpainter 64s and I was floored when comparing a couple of the same prints. Last week we printed a cut-out cartoon guy that was designed by a friend of mine at a local church. The main issue was that on the Seiko his skin tones were not right and looked bit yellow. The same print on the Epson was perfect and I could see details that didn't even show up on the Seiko print.

I am excited that we will be able to spend more time printing that doing printer maintenance. Our Seiko served us well and taught us a lot about large format, solvent printing but I'm excited about the better quality, bigger color gamut, and actually being able to use the take-up roll!

Allen

astro8

Well, I'll tell you one thing and others on here may be disbelievers but 95% of your large format printing problems have just become bad memories with your purchase of this printer and RIP.
I try not to get too 'emotionally attached' to any piece of equipment but I love this printer.

ProColorGraphics

So what do you guys think of your GS6000's so far? I am about that close to getting one and I am just curious on what you think of them so far.

quicksigns

Acothran, can you try printing gray gradient and let me know how it comes out? How much is a gs6000 going for?

acothran

Matt,
My printer experience is limited to an Encad NovaJet and a Seiko Colorpainter 64S but I'm blown away with this machine. I've found that the stock Colorburst profiles (called environments) work well for what we've done so far (vinyl banner, PSA vinyl, and some fabric) and the print quality is amazing. We have been printing Bi-Directional 720x720 which is a good quality/speed for what we're doing. I also am enjoying the low maintenance. We clean the caps once a week and with two caps (vs. six on the Seiko) it doesn't take long. Also, I couldn't use a take up reel on my Seiko because I didn't have an external dryer. The take up reel on the Epson has been a great addition and we don't have to babysit it like we did the Seiko. Two things that I've noticed but aren't a big deal. It is sometimes tricky for one person to load/feed media through without getting caught on the pinch rollers (even when up). Also, I wish some of the chassis was metal instead of plastic (i.e. doors to access caps and maintenance areas). Those two aren't big issues just something I've noticed.

We looked at several 64" solvent/eco-solvent options in the <$20,000 price range including Mutoh, Mimaki, Roland, & Epson. We thought the added green & orange inks as well as the print speed were two factors that weighed heavily in our purchase decision. Maybe I'll have a better review in a few months but so far we are loving this machine.

Allen

ProColorGraphics

Acothran, can you try printing gray gradient and let me know how it comes out? How much is a gs6000 going for?

I currently have a VP-540 and haven't had any problems printing a grey or grey gradient. I did see you other post about them coming out green. Even on the standard 720X720 they come out fine. I do use VersaWorks and tell it to just use the black ink which could help a lot.

ColesCreations

I second the thoughts from Acothran, we traded our Mimaki JV3 for the GS6000, and it prints as good (or better) as our Epson 10600 waterbased.

We have not done any profiles yet, just used the stock ones from Oracal, and some from our dealer, colors are amazing, and VERY close to the Pantone book, to the point where I don't know if we need to ever get any custom made profiles for ourselves...

We use FlexiSign, it's a great combo, together with a Summa T cutter for print/cut jobs.

astro8

I've changed my quality now from 720x720 8pass bi down to 540 x 720 6pass bi and the quality and colour reproduction through the Ergosoft RIP is still fantastic.

I'm printing as I type some posters for an art show and I'm truly amazed how good they are.

rfulford

I've changed my quality now from 720x720 8pass bi down to 540 x 720 6pass bi and the quality and colour reproduction through the Ergosoft RIP is still fantastic.

I'm printing as I type some posters for an art show and I'm truly amazed how good they are.

Same here. 540x720 is my go to mode for every new media I profile. I have not felt the need to go higher on many substrates at all. I am still using Colorburst but I am switching to ColorGate within the next month.

Felix Sepulveda

Ink fragility

Hi!!, a vendor showed me an Epson GS6000, the print quality was vey good. He printed some pictures in 3M media. I kept the prints and after a couple of days I saw that the ink came off (scratches) very easy from the media. Have any of you (owners) notice any peculiar in this regard ?

Bly

Not wanting to rain on anyone's parade but it's a properly set up profile that gives good neutral greyscales, not the printer.

Felix Sepulveda

Sorry about re-posting, but has anyone notice any problem (more than regular eco-solvent) with the ink adhesion with the Epson. I think that what I saw (ink peeling off quite easy) was maybe an improper setup of the heating process.

Regards,

rfulford

We just added our second Epson about 3 weeks ago. To date, I have ran approximately 20 - 25 substrates through the machine and created 15 custom icc profiles. I have not ran into any problems that proper settings and profiling would not fix.