• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gotta love Some customers.

John Butto

Lived in New York City years ago and the phone number was one digit off of a famous restaurant and the phone would start to ring around 3pm for reservations and of course we would take them for the people for any time they wanted and did not matter how many were in the party.

Pat Whatley

This one's a little different.​
I think it was last week, I answered the phone like always and the other person said......
Huh ?? Is this So & So sign shop ??
I decided to have some fun and said,​
Who are you looking for ??
Tom.
He's not here right now, but I'll help ya.
Okay, I talked to Tom last week and he said he'd have some signs ready for me later today. Are they ready ??
Yep. However, we're having a special on that type.... yesterday, today and tomorrow. They'll be 1/2 price until Friday. How's that sound ??
Great !! How much for some 18" x 24" two sided job signs ??
47¢ each for 100 with the stand.
Okay, I'll take 250 instead of 50.
Sure.... anything else ?? Do you need any large job signs like a 4' x 4' or 4' x 8' ?? We're selling them for $14.50 until Friday and the 4' x 4's for $8. a pop based on 10.
Can you get that all done til Friday ??
Naw, but as long as you come in and pre-pay it, we'll honor the sale, until Friday.

Hey thanks.... what's your name ??
Jack.
Okay, thanks Jack. I'll be out later today.

Okay, I know that sounds mean, but it sure was alota fun. :ROFLMAO: .......and it only took about 4 minutes.

I have lots of that kind. Ask me to tell you about the car lot guy some time. :doh:

Nice Gino. So instead of politely telling them they had the wrong number you chose instead to throw the other shop under the bus even though they'd done nothing wrong, gotten their customer to stop whatever they were doing to run over to the other shop to try to pay a deposit on 250 signs you'd "misquoted", knowing full well when she gets there she's going to be pissed off about it, and they're going to be defensive about it, and in the end they'll probably lose her as a customer.

Why don't you just run over there this afternoon and pour sugar in their gas tanks while you're at it? :banghead: That's just like the boss I used to have who would tell people who stopped in for directions to go in the opposite direction just because it gave him a little power trip.

HulkSmash

Nice Gino. So instead of politely telling them they had the wrong number you chose instead to throw the other shop under the bus even though they'd done nothing wrong, gotten their customer to stop whatever they were doing to run over to the other shop to try to pay a deposit on 250 signs you'd "misquoted", knowing full well when she gets there she's going to be pissed off about it, and they're going to be defensive about it, and in the end they'll probably lose her as a customer.

Why don't you just run over there this afternoon and pour sugar in their gas tanks while you're at it? :banghead: That's just like the boss I used to have who would tell people who stopped in for directions to go in the opposite direction just because it gave him a little power trip.

Sugar in a gas tank is harmful. Pretending to be something you're not, is hardly harmful. Funny? Yes. Out of line? To some. Would i be pissed if i was the other shop? Yup. Would I care 10 minutes later? Not at all..

Border

Why don't you just run over there this afternoon and pour sugar in their gas tanks while you're at it? :banghead:

Kinda what I was thinking too... Now, if said shop had been messing with me first and such... well then, gloves off. This sounds more like you drew first blood.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Pat, Andy and anyone else that thinks this is mean...... to you guys, I apologize. Why?? I don't know, but I will. I apologize.

To others that get this kinda stuff on a regular basis.... I think you understand. I admitted it was mean, but it was still fun. If you think I believe either of you or anyone else here is 100% on the up and up 100% of the time.... sell me a bridge. Get real, this stuff happens all the time and I'll give you a little more background.​

I did know who the other shop was because he had asked for them and I decided to have fun at this shop's expense. However, sorta like someone pointed out, this other shop is kinda notorious for stealing, doing terrible work, lowballing and tries to steal accounts by bad-mouthing others. I didn't steal a thing, not even some time. They probably had a good laugh over it, if the other guy played his cards right. And yes, he has done and said many things about me personally and our shop over the last few years. Do I care ?? Nope, not when I get to do this once in a while. Funny part is..... [his name isn't Tom], but Tom has done this stuff to so many, he'd never know who played this trick on him.

:popcorn: What kinda makes me scratch my head is why you thought it was a woman calling ?? Sounds like something close to home.

Pour sugar in their tank, throw them under the bus.... I think you guys are a little over the edge and need to get a grip on life and have some good old fashioned fun.

Anyway, when getting wrong numbers from most people, we do tell them sorry, that they called the wrong number. Most people usually hang up without being told.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Today I had 3 calls for "advertising" trying to sell me banners for their "charity" and I do mean "charity" ... in this area there are a lot of people who pull the charity card but they aren't officially a charity nor are they a non profit ... others would call them swindlers, beggers and liars. ... Had a little fun at their expense as well ... past week has been full of low ballers so I decided to pull the same. They wanted $350 for a 2'x4' banner that would be placed in a public area for 2 weeks .. each time they called I went a little crazy, first time I started talking in german trying to sell them a website, second time was a woman on the line ... I started hitting on the poor girl in a very VERY southern accent ... call didn't last long. and 3rd time I went right into haggling ... threw some numbers around, tried to get the spot for $5 a week if I supplied the banner, wanted a 4'x22' banner spot, and wanted the spot gaurenteed for 4 months and wanted to change out the banner monthly. ... they tried to tell me that they had to supply the banner, so I tried to sell them all the banners for their "charity", and told them they should give me a spot for free since it's good advertising as well as a great opportunity for future work (been doing a lot of logos this month ... heard those 2 lines WAY too much) ... they didn't budge. lastly I tried to sell them a website, logo and business card package, they didn't want it. after 20 minutes of me haggling and trying to sell this "charity" they just gave up and said, we will remove you from our calling list. we shall see. it worked for the india based call centers trying to sell me a website.