• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Grainy prints engineer visited

swarnes

Head 1 needs to be adjusted to head 2 in this case. But head 1 consists of 2 rows of nozzles (cyan and magenta) and head 2 has yellow and black.
When doing the horizontal adjustment, the two channels of one head overlap perfectly.(or at least they should)
Often, the cyan/magenta rows don't overlap. So you have to decide to adjust to cyan, magenta or in the middle.
If the gap between cyan and magenta is really bad and can't be optimized by using fresh ink and heating up the head, the head needs to be replaced.
Hi,

Apparently they will come tomorrow to replace head, will post results.

swarnes

So it's still grainy on cmyk but rgb yellow is good. I have attached 2 pics is it because cmyk is not so good for vector solids? Cmyk for raster?

Attachments

• 20230901_071057.jpg
    20230901_071057.jpg
    715.4 KB · Views: 67
  • 20230901_071007.jpg
    20230901_071007.jpg
    634.5 KB · Views: 70

cornholio

Well, this is normal behaviour.
It depends on the color. You could tick "preserve primary colors" in the color management section. Then a 100% yellow will be pure yellow, while you still have correct colors otherwise.(also helps for sharper black text)

damonCA21

I always use CMYK for vector graphics, but it can depend on the individual printer. If you set your profile to density control only in CYMK this will print the colours exactly as they are on the artwork, so if your artwork has pure yellow ( 0,100,0,0 ) then the printer should print only using the yellow head and not add any extra colours in or lighten or darken it, which can cause the graininess

swarnes

Well, this is normal behaviour.
It depends on the color. You could tick "preserve primary colors" in the color management section. Then a 100% yellow will be pure yellow, while you still have correct colors otherwise.(also helps for sharper black text)
Will try this, thank you for the tip!
I always use CMYK for vector graphics, but it can depend on the individual printer. If you set your profile to density control only in CYMK this will print the colours exactly as they are on the artwork, so if your artwork has pure yellow ( 0,100,0,0 ) then the printer should print only using the yellow head and not add any extra colours in or lighten or darken it, which can cause the graininess
Thanks will try this too.

Quark

Merchant Member
Some time ago we purchased a brand new epson s60 (cmyk) to replace our 8-color mimaki. I was astonished how much better, smoother, cleaner the 8 color printer prints were. Dealer sent a high level tech and the 4 color epson checked out - all is perfect, a nature of the 4 color ink set. Replaced it with 9(?) color s80 and got our expected quality levels back

I don’t think it’s in the printer or the media. It’s a nature of the 4 color ink set

swarnes

Some time ago we purchased a brand new epson s60 (cmyk) to replace our 8-color mimaki. I was astonished how much better, smoother, cleaner the 8 color printer prints were. Dealer sent a high level tech and the 4 color epson checked out - all is perfect, a nature of the 4 color ink set. Replaced it with 9(?) color s80 and got our expected quality levels back

I don’t think it’s in the printer or the media. It’s a nature of the 4 color ink set
Yup, its what they kept saying it is expected from just 4 inks, I guess if you really want excellent decals you need more colour inks, shame really. Might look into getting s80 next.