• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Grainy prints on HP Latex L26500

Steve Shaw

I don't see the light ink curves. Are you using CMYK or CMYKcm?

In the output profile generation setting the black start needs to be set at 25 to 30. I would also test profiles with the black width set to 80 and 60.

It should be CMYKcm but as you say within this profile there doesnt seem to be that light ink curve. Would this be the problem perhaps, that the profile im using using drawing on the light inks?

dypinc

No in the linearization there should be a setting for the light ink splits/curves. That has nothing to with the output profile. What the output profile does is determine how much CMY is replacing K and where. The light ink splits/curves in the linearization file determines how much and where the lc and lm replace the C and M.

Steve Shaw

No in the linearization there should be a setting for the light ink splits/curves. That has nothing to with the output profile. What the output profile does is determine how much CMY is replacing K and where. The light ink splits/curves in the linearization file determines how much and where the lc and lm replace the C and M.

This is an image of the Linearization curve for the ICC profile i use mainly. From the drop down it doesnt show LC or LM options. There is the ink splits screen options and I have attached these also.

Attachments

• linearization curve.jpg
    linearization curve.jpg
    803.4 KB · Views: 331
  • magenta split.jpg
    magenta split.jpg
    531.3 KB · Views: 304
  • cyan split.jpg
    cyan split.jpg
    529.3 KB · Views: 315

dypinc

I thought you were using ONYX. But anyway that is pretty minimal light ink usage but I don't know the results with Flexi. RIPs are not all the same with what will appear to be the same settings producing different results with different RIPs. But for low graininess you typical want get the high point for the light inks in the 50% range and the cutoff in the 75% range. And then the black start in the output profile should be 25 or 30. Make a new Linearization and Output Profile with these settings and see how your graininess looks. I can't remember what the pass counts were on the 1st and 2nd generation Latex printers but you will want to use a higher pass setting to allow more ink lay-down and is does have a less graininess look to some degree.

Keep in mind your printers dot size in is much larger that say a aqueous Epson for Canon so some graininess will always be there.

Steve Shaw

I thought you were using ONYX. But anyway that is pretty minimal light ink usage but I don't know the results with Flexi. RIPs are not all the same with what will appear to be the same settings producing different results with different RIPs. But for low graininess you typical want get the high point for the light inks in the 50% range and the cutoff in the 75% range. And then the black start in the output profile should be 25 or 30. Make a new Linearization and Output Profile with these settings and see how your graininess looks.

Keep in mind your printers dot size in is much larger that say a aqueous Epson for Canon so some graininess will always be there.

I have the Trial version of Onyx to see if that helped with the quality. It did slightly. Sai Flexi im in a 12 month contract with so would like to get it sorted with this RIP. Want to say thanks so much for all the help, Im going to try to do what you suggested now and see how things turn out. Its a big learning curve for a newbie so thanks for being so patient.

Steve Shaw

Have I done this right? I have increased the values so the Cyan and Magenta ink splits are from 50% to 75%. In the ICC generation I selected GCR from the drop down and set it to 30%. It was at 0%

I probably haven't do the cyan and magenta right, if not can you explain a little what I should be doing.

Attachments

• GCR.jpg
    GCR.jpg
    507.2 KB · Views: 253
  • cyan increase.jpg
    cyan increase.jpg
    597.2 KB · Views: 265
  • magenta increase.jpg
    magenta increase.jpg
    599 KB · Views: 238

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
Steve Shaw,

Do you know for an absolute fact that your model of printer is capable of producing the quality of your expectation? Have you ever actually held in your hand and seen with your own eyes that expected quality?

Since you have Onyx and said it improved results over Flexi, you might consider creating a new media profile by using the Onyx “print-read-next” method. During the 1st step of 4, it will automatically set your ink restrictions which will take care of your so-called “ink splits.” Step 2 will be automatic linearization, 3 will be ink limits (visually), and finally 4 will be generating the ICC output profile.

Last edited:

Steve Shaw

Steve Shaw,

Do you know for an absolute fact that your model of printer is capable of producing the quality of your expectation? Have you ever actually held in your hand and seen with your own eyes that expected quality?

Since you have Onyx and said it improved results over Flexi, you might consider creating a new media profile by using the Onyx “print-read-next” method. During the 1st step of 4, it will automatically set your ink restrictions which will take care of your so-called “ink splits.” Step 2 will be automatic linearization, 3 will be ink limits (visually), and finally 4 will be generating the ICC output profile.

Hi, yes I have seen much better results from the same printer. I know there is slight grain witht his latex on certain medias but not to the degree im experiencing. I will certainly try that method today to see what results I get. This forum is amazing for help, thank you all so much.

dypinc

Or is this one more inline with what you mean

Yes but 60% is to high. Try 50%. What you will be fighting with raising the light ink high is laying down too much ink. The media might be less accepting of that much ink and your pass counts, inter-pass delay, and heat will have to be high enough to properly cure the ink. You just have to test it.

Steve Shaw

Yes but 60% is to high. Try 50%. What you will be fighting with raising the light ink high is laying down too much ink. The media might be less accepting of that much ink and your pass counts, inter-pass delay, and heat will have to be high enough to properly cure the ink. You just have to test it.

I have just got off a Teamviewer meeting with Sai Flexi support and we have gone through a profile and changed the Ink limits, Multi-Ink limits, The GCRsmooth , the light ink curves. Just testing it all now, he showed me how to keep tweaking it to make small adjustments and keep testing till I have a decent profile. Ill keep you updated. thanks again

AF

It's a black art. Over time, you gain insight and experience to reduce the number of trial and errors to get results. Just remember that when you change one parameter in profile creation, everything else changes. There is a limit to what a given media can produce, and you will soon realize why some medias command a premium.

AF

Latex prints look fine at intended viewing distances. At close range, you will always detect some grain. If you have eagle vision, 4 foot may be the minimal acceptable viewing distance from your best prints.