• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Graphic Designer Clients

Custom_Grafx

I'm sure many (if not, all) of you out there have clients who are graphic designers, and order signs/stickers/promotional goods from you on a regular basis.

Do you have an FAQ file, or File spec checksheet which you send these clients to assist them with supplying you the correct file?

Since about mid last year, I started doing this and noticed we are both reaping the benefits. However since I only have a few months experience with this procedure, I thought it might be interesting to see if other people also do this, and if so, do you find it helps or not? and are there any you would add to the below list?

1) If any spot colour needs to be matched, use the spot colour in your file
2) Minimum 5mm bleed for large posters
3) Minimum 30mm bleed for banners
4) Minimum 2mm bleed for print/cut jobs
5) Minimum 100dpi for large format printing rasters
6) Convert ALL text to outlines

I also include a spiel and short refresher about using the pathfinder pallette, and the concept of intersecting paths and using outline preview, and not duplicating paths.

These are the main ones on my list and so far it seems to help.

Looking forward to getting educated more on this if possible.

Cheers!

jiarby

be sure to specify the additional charge for non-conforming art... it will either motivate them to try harder, or at least compensate you for additional time fixing art problems.

Marlene

Do you have an FAQ file, or File spec checksheet which you send these clients to assist them with supplying you the correct file?

yes I do have a printed list. I also give this any customer who says they have a designer to pass along to the designer. it works about 25% of the time. I still get files that have fonts and vector files where if cut, it would be one big mess.

Custom_Grafx

Hey thanks guys!

Today I tried pushing a regular to use a naming convention as well. Not only was it causing them confusion, it was making it hard for me to keep up.

Do you ever get emails (not bullet point lists but in paragraphs) that ask for, in cut vinyl for example - "2 of the big ones, and 3 of the small ones... we want 1 of the big ones to be reversed to stick on inside of glass, and 2 of the small ones to be stuck on the outside of the glass".

I replied right back thinking it was the perfect example/opportunity to change things. We ended up coming up with a naming convention so that the file name is the qty, the description, and if it's positive/reverse. Something like 2x_window_positive.pdf

I got a good response from the customer so am happy and feel I did the right thing - hope it keeps up and am looking forward to getting other clients to do the same.

Custom_Grafx

Yes, I have one that says - 50 of those clear ones... the horizontal ones... you know? the small ones not the big ones. and while you're at it, make me 40 of the bigger ones. on white vinyl... and the other on clear... and do me the round ones on white too.

I used to be fine with this believe it or not but I can no longer do it. Time to enforce some procedures for sure.

Has anyone here considered running a tutorial class in person for designers and students of graphic design? My theory is, that not only will it save both of us time/money in the long run, but will help to enhance relationships and to even create foundations with future potentials (the students, who grow to become designers etc).

I mentioned it to a few clients a few months back, and their response was "let me know when you run it, I'll book for sure". This was maybe around 5 people. A couple of them were students - their parents are happy to pay, and the rest were graphic designers who didn't have much specialty sign knowledge - saying that they could talk their bosses into paying a few hundred for it.

Am curious, has anyone done such a thing? Has it worked?

mark galoob

Most of the "graphic designers" who order from me are complete morons that know nothing about printing. Usually when someone tells me they are a graphic designer red flags pop up for me and I know they are gonna be a problem

Mark galoob

ForgeInc

Hey Hey Hey.....Slow down this train! SOME of us designers actually know to outline our fonts, convert any strokes to paths, and convert file colors to process, spot, etc as needed and all other file prep stuff!

But, we are a rare bunch.

;)

omgsideburns

Yeah for real.. we aren't all dumb dumbs.

But I definitely have to nudge new guys or people who don't design for print much.

ontsigngirl

Some of my best clients are graphic designers... work with them, not against, and you'll be rewarded.

I'm so glad you posted this. I've been looking at different ways to keep my printer busy and have been thinking about approaching a local graphic designer. Do you usually approach them or did they find you? I felt they would see this as a conflict of interest? Also do you discuss alternate pricing with them since they may have already worked out a price with their customers and in theory their files should be much better to work with.

Muda