• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Graphics rookie looking for guidance for Race car graphics

iSign

...I have about 5 cars lined up to do already, mostly just friends and family. My first victim will be my brothers street stock that he is selling, I am going to throw in new graphics to the new owners liking to help sweetin the deal a little.

I don't know anything about race car work, except what I've read on the boards for the last 5 years... but 5 years is a lot of reading & from about 100 discussions in that time... "there is no money in it" is the main thing I learned.

You said it's not supposed to be your main income, & you have years at the track... so I can see that you have a few factors lining up on your side already, but do you have business experience? I didn't when I started, so I'm not saying you need to, just asking...

Of these 5 cars lined up, how many are lining up to pay you? If the reputation for race car work is as bad as everyone says, I would be real conscious of the reputation Sosebee Race Grafix creates for theirselves.
Like they say, you only get one chance to leave a first impression... so if some new owner of your brother gets to design his own graphics package, & you just 'throw it in" on the car... sure, maybe your bro kicks down a little coin... maybe he even tacks on a littl from what he would have sold the car for... but in the mind of the new owner, you just perpetuated the perception that car graphics are worth nothing... and in fact, meeting with "the new sign guy" to get CUSTOM graphics... that ain't worth anything either.

I think you'd be far better off to get your brother to consider $400-$500 worth of graphics, draw up some ideas, superimposed on a photo... and then DON"T DO THEM... show them to the buyers... tell them this was contracted before the decision to sell... and now they are on hold.. the car can go cheap now... if the guy wants to save $400, he can skip the graphics, but if he likes the idea of new graphics... as soon as his deposit is paid, graphics go on.... AND he can have some say in customizing the colors... OR, he can even have some redesigning done for $50 an hour...

...worst that can happen... car don't sell, but any lookers.. are out on the street with knowledge of "the new sign guy" ...his awesome photo proofs... AND his fair market value prices, & non-push-over confidence.

OldPaint

30 INCHER...if you can do it... i got a CX-300 LOVE IT...
have had 20", 24" plotters(all rolands)but it sure is nice if a guy wantsa full hood or trunk sponsor....most tines a 30" will cover it.....also roofs....door numbers on what i do never exceed 22"-23" but the roof can be 28".

Right now the cars I do have lined up I will be charging between $150 and $200 per car. Thats mostly for some of the materials as well as my time to install. However, I have discussed with them that they will NOT discuss pricing with anyone, as I am only doing that so I can learn about the new processes. I know that is probably a pretty cheap price for what I will be doing for materials and time. However the bundle package I am looking to purchase, comes with 15 rolls of 30"x10 yrd rolls.

OldPaint

nooooo hes not kiddin.....i used to PAINT A CAR...3 nubers 3 colors, and 2 sponsors in a free hand letter style(logos was extra) FOR $150.00(start to finish 3-4 hours)....and HAD NO MATERIALS outas pocket......cept for a couple ounces of paint and turps......
right now... for a single color vinyl number i get $20....R.T.A. AND IF I PUT IT ON....ITS $40!!!! so for me to apply 3 one color numbers is $120.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Those prices are only going to be for those few cars im doing first. Those are very good friends and a couple family members. Don't plan on doing them at that price for everyone. Just gonna burn up them first few rolls of vinyl I get with the start up package and go from there. Im sure the first couple of days I get it I will be lettering everything in sight. I just got to cut my teeth somewhere really. Plus, being the new guy, I would have to find one way or another to get my name out there. Although like iSign said, I dont want to be known as the guy who does race cars for free. Just going to do a couple cars and a couple go kart for some close friends and family to cut my teeth then hopefully everything progresses from there. I have learned a lot though from everyone here and it is very much appreciated.

Just Me

However, I have discussed with them that they will NOT discuss pricing with anyone.
right! that isn't going to happen:rolleyes: theres 2 forms of communication...telephone and tele-racer:Big Laugh seriously, dont short change yourself right off the bat, if you give this stuff away for 150-200 this is what they will expect the rest of your race car graphics career, trust me been down that road already. Its hard enough to make a living doing race cars without guys starting up on the side giving stuff away for almost nothing. stick around long enough, you will understand what i am talking about. Best of luck and stick to your guns.
--Mark

Service Sign Co

I've heard of sign people refer to doing all the outlines/shades over the top multi color graphics as having a glory moment. To me a "glory moment" is being able to afford to go to Hawaii or somewhere similar, sit on the beach and over indulge in whatever seems fit.

GARY CULY

Geeze I Stoppped Back To See This Thread And Wow!! 150-200 A Car? My Lowest Job Is 850.00 And Thats If Its A Second Or More ....yea At 150-200 A Car A Guy Would Go Under ...my Work Is Conciderably Higher ...i Honestly Have Mayby 2 Cars Under 1000.00 Each ...lets See 1000.00 A Car X 200 Plus Cars A Year ...yea Im Goin Broke Here...good Luck Buddy ..your Gonna Be Hatin Life At 200.00 A Car!
Im Of No More Use On This Thread!

Dave Drane

I've heard of sign people refer to doing all the outlines/shades over the top multi color graphics as having a glory moment. To me a "glory moment" is being able to afford to go to Hawaii or somewhere similar, sit on the beach and over indulge in whatever seems fit.

Spot on!! My "glory moments" are platying golf every Wednesday afternoon and watching some others who delight in working for fun go to the wall.:beer

Jillbeans

Yup, Gary...I think your buddy Flinner is at about $1500/car.
And he's damn good...only about 10 miles from me.
My minimum for a mix of hand-painted and vynull is between $600-$700.
I wouldn't even do a race car for family for under $500.
Too much time and materials.
Love....Jill

wildside

Those prices are only going to be for those few cars im doing first. Those are very good friends and a couple family members. Don't plan on doing them at that price for everyone. Just gonna burn up them first few rolls of vinyl I get with the start up package and go from there.

and after you burn up those rolls, where will the money come from to get the next set of rolls? think long term, not just getting started

there's a place near hear that does modifieds for 150 each, with 3-4 specialty colors, design install and all, and the extra money on the side does not exist, they are working harder at the full time job to try and support the "extra income" business they had started....

149motorsports

Yup, Gary...I think your buddy Flinner is at about $1500/car.
And he's damn good...only about 10 miles from me.
My minimum for a mix of hand-painted and vynull is between $600-$700.
I wouldn't even do a race car for family for under $500.
Too much time and materials.
Love....Jill

nice cars, what does this guy do that is so different that no one else cant touch him?

speedmedia

Oh dear.... Run, run as fast as you can!!!

Gary is right with everything he has said. I also do a large majority of racecars, but I stick more to pavement cars. I do about 40 of them a year and make good money on them but be careful not to either "give it away" or get into sponsoring these cats as it will get out of hand very quickly and before you know it you will be working more and making less.

My advice is simple, learn as much as you can about the products and tools you are working with. Get a nice mix of commercial business. If I didn't have that I wouldn't even be in business. And most important, if someone doesn't want to pay for what it is worth let them go elsewhere it will save a lot of anguish.

In the meantime look at what Hipsticker and Flinner are doing and be prepared to compete at that level. There work in my opinion is 2nd to none and they get what it is worth to make it that way.

Thanks,
Kurt Dietrich
Speed Media
info@speed-media.com

freshdesignfast

We do a select few racecars. I can't put into words what you'll experience just starting out. I started out doing racecars and have not stopped since. At first you'll either love it and learn or give up quickly because you gave it all away. Cars can be a ton of work between the design and application. They are a great medium to learn what you can and can't do with vinyl.

Good luck to you!

freshdesignfast

One more thing... as far as templates take a picture 90 degrees to the car and import that into Illustrator. Scale the car and then lay your graphics over that. That works for us.

smdgrfx

Well, personally, I thiink he's doing the right thing. He doesn't know anything about vinyl. He will probably screw up a few times. It's called "the cost of learning". Once he gets good and fast, then he can charge competitive pricing. Why should the customer have to pay for him to practice? I get much more for my time and graphics, but I've been doing this for 10 years now.

OldPaint

nooooo hes not kiddin.....i used to PAINT A CAR...3 nubers 3 colors, and 2 sponsors in a free hand letter style(logos was extra) FOR $150.00(start to finish 3-4 hours)....and HAD NO MATERIALS outas pocket......cept for a couple ounces of paint and turps......
right now... for a single color vinyl number i get $20....R.T.A. AND IF I PUT IT ON....ITS $40!!!! so for me to apply 3 one color numbers is $120.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!
adding to this....i have a HOOTERS CUP/ARCA track less then a mile from my house, i can hear them when they are running. when i had my shop on the road to the track..........
i put a banner out: HAND LETTERED STOCK CAR $150.00
guess how many i did??????? 1!!!!!!! right now i do 2 cars, these are old clients who i got when i 1st arrived here in 98. and most i do now is R.T.A. for both of them.i got a track in FLOMATON al. i know the owner and i do some lettering for him.....other then these I DONT DO ANY RACE CARS....CAUSE......ALL THE BEGINERS, BROTHERIN LAWS, WIFES, NEPHEWS all buy cutters and theink they are SIGN ARTISTS!!!!! those that dont have relitives with plotter got "FREINDS" who buy plotters and do their lettering for their cars FOR FREE..TO GET THEIR NAME ON THE RACE CAR!!!!!!! this is where the race car letting has gone.
the car i said i do letters(R.T.A.) for asked me to make a sticker to go on his car..WITH MY NAME AND PHONE # so they know who did the letters....AND I STILL CHARGE HIM the same as WITHOUT MY NAME ON THE CAR......
if you follow HOOTERS CUP/ARCA i bought a ROLAND PNC-1100 from mario gosslin, he resides near ocla fl. he told me they bought the plotter some relitive of the pit crew, said he could make "stickers" for the team....then he decided to do other things.....