Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Green member with a printing problem

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mitch, May 26, 2010.

1. mitch

mitch New Member

May 24, 2010
    Hello All,
    I am a new member and new at this printing game! I have been an electrician for most of my working life and have decided it is time for a new challenge. I have bought myself an eighteen month old Roland SP300v and am starting with simple stuff like printing canvas and posters to begin with as I need to learn to walk before I can run! I have found this forum to be very useful when I have looked at it as a guest and so decided to join and hope that people will take pity on a total novice with lots of enthusiasm. I have been experiencing problems with cutting canvas on my printer. It keeps jamming and I have changed the blade and yet it still happens (although not every time - seems to be when it feels like it) and when I spoke to the company I purchased it from the rep said "maybe it just can't cut canvas"? As I have said as a novice someone could tell me that the machine cuts using invisible scissors and I would believe them! Could someone tell me if this is correct or if I am being fobbed off? Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks all

Tags:
  2. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Welcome from PA.............................

.......and NO, he's telling the truth.

3. AKSigns

AKSigns Member

Jun 28, 2007
    I would say NO to cutting canvas!! Its just to thick, stick to cutting vinyl!!

4. bjsputer

bjsputer New Member

May 26, 2010
    Greetings

Hello all. I'm currently an owner of a Computer Service where i do T-shirts, banners and other programs on the side. I just bought the Graphtec CE 1000-60 with Flexi8 starter. I can not get it to print when i want it to. It say cutting but never does. If i use inkscape it cuts but will not do curve letters. Do i need to upgrade to a better software and i'm running windows 7.

5. bjsputer

bjsputer New Member

May 26, 2010
    thanks

Sorry, i didn't know. Just signed up.

6. anotherdog

anotherdog Very Active Member

Sep 6, 2008
    hi from Ontario,
    nope Canvas is too tough...you could try it with a fresh blade, but there are some things you just advance and cut with a hand blade...you aren't trying something like contour cutting?

7. mlboo

mlboo New Member

May 27, 2010
    if you want to cut canvas find someone with a gerber cutter that has a vaccuum table.

8. Just Another Sign Guy

Just Another Sign Guy Very Active Member

Jun 19, 2004
    hi i'm in the deli business (we make a mean potato salad and our own pastrami) and decided to make signs for a change of pace...deli business wasn't spicy enough. can you help me out? oh heck i won't beat around the bush will you just teach me how you all do what you do?

and NO you can't cut canvas...even i know that

9. The Big Squeegee

The Big Squeegee Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2005
    Lawton, OK, USA
    Welcome from OK

10. Stealth Ryder

Stealth Ryder Very Active Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Texas
    Welcome...