Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gromet or eyelet in aluminum

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Shadowglen, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Shadowglen

Shadowglen Member

Nov 29, 2012
    Dickinson, ND
    any idea on machine or method to achieve the two grommet holes on he top of these signs? eyelet

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    a drill might get you there fairly quickly..

:thumb:

3. Shadowglen

Shadowglen Member

Nov 29, 2012
    Dickinson, ND
    I have a large punch so the holes will not be a problem but they have a brass eyelet or grommet in the holes that is what I am talking about.

4. mpn

mpn Active Member

Aug 6, 2011
    looks like a collar inserted then flared out? Same on both sides of the sign?

Attached Files:

5. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Go to Home Depot and buy a grommet starter kit. It will contain everything you need to put grommets in the two holes you make with your hole punch. With grommets left over to do some practicing beforehand or other nifty projects for later on. Directions come with the kit, so you should be good to go.

Do you.... or a cousin of yours, have a thread going about a Cub Scout sign ?? :rock-n-roll:

6. mpn

mpn Active Member

Aug 6, 2011
    Without a better picture, they don't look like standard grommets.

7. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    I, too, noticed that right away and figured the OP was just trying to save time and money and substitute a grommet instead. The grommet should work. Based on the size and looks of the sign and nature of it's intended use, grommets should be totally adequate.

8. Shadowglen

Shadowglen Member

Nov 29, 2012
    Dickinson, ND
    No not trying to save time I want to mimic that tiny eyelet. I have grommet press. but thinking it would damage the aluminum and they ant them like the picture.

9. Shadowglen

Shadowglen Member

Nov 29, 2012
    Dickinson, ND
    I don't have one to look at I am trying to get more info as in thickness also. the supplier ordering the does not have one either as they ship direct to the end user.

10. Mosh

Mosh Major Contributor

Oct 19, 2009
    Nerbaska
    Pre-punch or pre-drill the hole and put the grommet in and punch it with your grommet press. I do it all the time. BTW Poly-metal (max-metal) you can just run through a grommet machine without pre-drilling the holes, .040 not.

11. Shadowglen

Shadowglen Member

Nov 29, 2012
    Dickinson, ND
    Thanks I will try a standard grommet and see if they accept it. Thanks All.