• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gromet or eyelet in aluminum

Shadowglen

any idea on machine or method to achieve the two grommet holes on he top of these signs? eyelet

Attachments

• tank hatch.jpg
    tank hatch.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 82

Shadowglen

I have a large punch so the holes will not be a problem but they have a brass eyelet or grommet in the holes that is what I am talking about.

mpn

looks like a collar inserted then flared out? Same on both sides of the sign?

Attachments

• Ridgidreg--Flaring-Tools-31S-ba.jpg
    Ridgidreg--Flaring-Tools-31S-ba.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 69

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Go to Home Depot and buy a grommet starter kit. It will contain everything you need to put grommets in the two holes you make with your hole punch. With grommets left over to do some practicing beforehand or other nifty projects for later on. Directions come with the kit, so you should be good to go.

Do you.... or a cousin of yours, have a thread going about a Cub Scout sign ?? :rock-n-roll:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I, too, noticed that right away and figured the OP was just trying to save time and money and substitute a grommet instead. The grommet should work. Based on the size and looks of the sign and nature of it's intended use, grommets should be totally adequate.

Shadowglen

No not trying to save time I want to mimic that tiny eyelet. I have grommet press. but thinking it would damage the aluminum and they ant them like the picture.

Shadowglen

looks like a collar inserted then flared out? Same on both sides of the sign?

I don't have one to look at I am trying to get more info as in thickness also. the supplier ordering the does not have one either as they ship direct to the end user.

Mosh

Pre-punch or pre-drill the hole and put the grommet in and punch it with your grommet press. I do it all the time. BTW Poly-metal (max-metal) you can just run through a grommet machine without pre-drilling the holes, .040 not.

Shadowglen

Pre-punch or pre-drill the hole and put the grommet in and punch it with your grommet press. I do it all the time. BTW Poly-metal (max-metal) you can just run through a grommet machine without pre-drilling the holes, .040 not.

Thanks I will try a standard grommet and see if they accept it. Thanks All.