• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Grommets and Coro Question ?

Replicator

how do you grommet corrugated plastic without crushing it ?

Do you use special size grommets or grommet machine ?

:frustrated:

Ken

I use a grommet press. 3/8 inch inner diameter. This is for 4 mil coro. It punches the hole as the grommet is placed. Very little distortion.
Cheers!
Ken

Bill43mx

I know that there are "long neck" grommets for thicker materials and our grommet press has a stop that you can set to limit the travel. I would think with that combination you could do coro without crushing it but I've never actually done it.

Replicator

This is what I get with standard grommets and press . . . There's got to be a way to avoid this damage and correct the spacing/crushing !

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 439
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 280

Replicator

thanks Bill43mx . . . If that is the case I would like if someone with the precise knowledge would chime in with the exact grommet to get.

My grommet machine does have a stop on it . . .

I went over to Lowes and purchased a hammer grommet punch set. They are usually in the isle near the staples and stuff like that. http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=45326-355-45326&lpage=none
It comes with a cutter that you can use to cut the hole first. You just place it over where you want the grommet and hit it with the hammer. Cuts a nice clean hole every time.
Then I use my grommet press to attach the grommet to the coro.

sfr table hockey

I have a Stimpson Grommet press and some standard #2 (3/8") grommets. Just tried 4mm coro and moved the stop up a bit and they hold quite well. The collar on the grommet is only 3/16" long but seems to have a good hold on the coro with only a tiny bit of compression in the coro. Any thicker coro and you would need a longer shaft on the grommet.

encadtech

You can get away with less compression on the 3/8 grommets - If you want no dimple - use a 1/2" grommet - it works great

Replicator

I understand that works pretty well, until you add the laminated print and then the thickness is just out of reach for the grommet.

Jillbeans

I use the hammer/grommet method too.
You can get longer grommets.
I always make Justis do them because I hate to.
Love....Jill

Mosh

We just move the grommet in a little further. The longneck grommets seem too long to me. Use use the longneck ones on 1/4 pvc will goood luck.

sfr table hockey

I use this one.

I remove the sleeve that the bottom die slides into to increase the size of the opening.

Ok, I see that the gap in your press is quite narrow. On the Stimpson there is about 1 3/4" gap so thickness of the material is not the issue. I'm sure the long necks would fit the Stimpson then as well then but if someone had tried them already and could confirm that they press out just as well, that would be great.