• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

GS6000 Epson = Mutoh?

jiarby

The new Epson GS6000 looks a heck of a lot like a Mutoh 64" printer with a fancier print head... Who do you suppose is building these for Epson?

jiarby

I got a marketing piece in the mail with a picture of the 6000... it looks just like my 1604 Mutoh.

Maybe the Mutoh is made by Epson, or the other way around.

MVIP

the story I heard was Epson supplies mutoh with their print heads and mutoh manufactures epsons printer for them.

Sounds fair!

-matt

PSG

Chicago is correct, many other printer manufacturers (if you want to call them that!) are starting to jump on the success of the Mutoh ValueJet Line of printers.

Here is a link to Xerox version:
http://www.xerox.com/digital-printi...rs/wide-format-printers/xerox-8264e/enus.html

"Prints high-quality color images while using less ink, thanks to intelligent interweaving print technology" This is a quote from the marketing brochure on these printers, anytime you read "interweaving print technology" it is based on Mutoh technology as they have patened this particular print pattern.

Here is a link to some Oce versions:
http://www.oce.com/en/News/Newsbulletins/20080325_cs9050.htm
http://www.oce.com/en/Products/Printers-copiers-plotters/Colour/GraphArtsOutdoor/cs9065+/default.htm
These are much the same as the Xerox, however I am sure you can expect different and proprietary firmware as well as some production changes that make it seem unique to their brand. All thought the Oce-CS9050 talks about being a 6 color printer. This starts to become much like the GS6000 by Epson, same technology - same chassis - different inkset, but very much based on ValueJet platform.

Personally I would expect more people to jump on the VJ bandwagon as Mutoh has FINALLY built world class printer line under $30,000 and we all know how they like to rebrand there products.

P

ProWraps™

our old falcon took the same heads as the epson... go figure.

jiarby

I visited the Mutoh place here in Phoenix and witnessed the receptionist slapping Mutoh decals on the epson ink cartridges.

Adam Bennett

Mutoh is the manufacturer for the Epson GS6000.

They are also releasing a dual head printer this October. The GS6000 is running eight colors with the advantage of a little bit wider color gamut- but Epson has also reformulated their inks "for a friendlier" ink (sacrificing over a year in outdoor durability)

Mutohs' new ValueJet 1618 has taken the Epson Piezo print head technology and put it to BETTER use imho than Epson. By using two of them running only four colors (cmyk x 2) they have effectively doubled their print speed with this model - being clocked at 330 square feet/hour @720x720 DPI...

Jim Doggett

Sounds like incest to me!

Hey Si,

Long time no chat ... I seem to recall SignWeb chats a few years back.

Anyway, I'll quote Morpheus' comment to Neo: Welcome to the real world.

Espon is the printhead and ink company. THE printhead and ink company, in the EcoSol category. If you're not running Espon heads and inks, you're not a player. Thus, Mutoh, Roland and Mimaki dominate the category.

The printer guys build the platform. This is no small task. Head control boards, cleaning stations, etc., etc., etc. It's a major undertaking. So it's understandable that Espon would look to one of their partners to build the platform for their own printer brand.

They chose Mutoh from among their partners, which is understandable. It gave them entre to Mutoh's I2 (Wave) printing.

But the GS6000 is a tad spendy, and I think, an orphan (marketing term for being betwixt markets). EcoSol is positioned for the sign market. UltraChrome (8-color) is more of a fine arts product, but built on a not-quite sign-making ink type. I say not quite, because it sacrifices durability in a marketplace where durability is the holy grail.

Neat machine. Really. But I doubt it'll gain wide acceptance. (we'll know in a year or so if I guessed right)

My opinion,

Jim

jiarby

Jim,
That is just what I was thinking... that the added ink colors for a slightly fatter gamut was not worth the 8-9k extra for essentially the same printer.

Jim Doggett

Thanks Jiarby, it's always fun to agree :^)

But, maybe even more fun to diagree :^))))))) (with Spynergy Jim that is)

SJ, what is it with all the rabid Roland-apologist stuff that seems latch onto every discussion, even Epson v Mutoh dicussions????

Mutoh users seem to be content with their printer, and presumably running them, not jumping in every time someone says something complimentary about Roland or Mimaki printer. Maybe I've missed a few Mutoh users that have. But the Rolandistas that litter these discussions seem nearly impossible to avoid.

Either you guys have WAY too much time on your hands or are just a bit too insecure about the wisdom of your purchase. Really. It's approaching a level that borders on loopy.

IMHO,

Jim

synergy_jim

I take it you've never tried one?

We had a Mutoh Falcon outdoor 3 years ago... I believe it was a 98" but I could be wrong...

That SOB was in our shop for 6 months and spent 3 of them broke down...

We ended up with Mutohs top tech in north america there working on it and they never did figure it out... So the paper weight went back to the MFG...

Thats the bad experience....

as for the new interweave, we install for a ton of shops. I have seen quite a few Mutoh prints with their "amazing" interweave tech.... It doesn't impress me... It simply takes banding and puts some curves into it... You get the same thing.... different shape...

Mutoh's have always looked like a kids toy in terms of build quality next to a Roland....

just my 10 cents....

BTW... I have had 3 Roland printers for a total of 6 years.... Not 1 breakdown....

:thread

synergy_jim

Thanks Jiarby, it's always fun to agree :^)

But, maybe even more fun to diagree :^))))))) (with Spynergy Jim that is)

SJ, what is it with all the rabid Roland-apologist stuff that seems latch onto every discussion, even Epson v Mutoh dicussions????

Mutoh users seem to be content with their printer, and presumably running them, not jumping in every time someone says something complimentary about Roland or Mimaki printer. Maybe I've missed a few Mutoh users that have. But the Rolandistas that litter these discussions seem nearly impossible to avoid.

Either you guys have WAY too much time on your hands or are just a bit too insecure about the wisdom of your purchase. Really. It's approaching a level that borders on loopy.

IMHO,

Jim

If I sold Mutoh printers thats how I would answer also....

Just my opinion... Its allowed to suck.... but it's still mine...