• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

GS6000 Epson = Mutoh?

Adam Bennett

The differences between the Falcon line and the ValueJet line are outstanding. I don't think it's fair to compare apples to oranges here. Look at some of Rolands' older technology...

Jim Doggett

If I sold Mutoh printers thats how I would answer also....

No argument, SJ. I'm an advocate for the products we - have chosen to - sell. So it's a given that I'll extole what I believe are unique Mutoh advantages, in the light of day (identifying myself).

My point is that if I owned a Roland, I would not respond as you have. I'm sure it's a fine product. Indeed, I know and like Roland printers. I think Mutoh is better, and that Wave printing is truly revolutionary. But you can make gobs with a Roland too.

So it's a head-scratcher why Roland-users are so fragile at the mention of any other printer being good, or as I believe in the case of Mutoh, superior.

What is up with that?????

Jim

Last edited:

Jim Doggett

The differences between the Falcon line and the ValueJet line are outstanding. I don't think it's fair to compare apples to oranges here. Look at some of Rolands' older technology...

Agreed, Adam. And it should be clarified that Falcon printers are not I2/Wave printing capable. Wave printing is a Mutoh ValueJet / Espon GS6000 / SignWarehouse PrismJet VJ thing.

Adam Bennett

very true. It should also be clarified that a properly configured ValueJet (not hard to do) doesn't have wave shaped banding. It just doesn't have banding. period.

Flame

so basically, no. You haven't used a Valuejet.

They're a great printer, well built and print great at a decent speed at a decent price. For the price, they're a better value than the Roland, but honestly, the Roland is ALSO a great machine.

A bad experience with an old model doesn't really constitute a company wide hatred of their products.... does it?

synergy_jim

good arguments....

And no the falcon did not have wave printing...

I clarified that in the last post....

put it this way.... if you spent 50K on a car, and it was a total lemon, would you be willing to buy the " new " model when it came out because other people said so...?

Just my .02

Jim Doggett

if you spent 50K on a car, and it was a total lemon, would you be willing to buy the " new " model when it came out because other people said so...?

I think the best approach is to make intelligent choices based on what's currently available. No one, I'm aware of, has come out of the gates with a gem, save one: Gerber EDGE.

If your assertion is that a marginal product should blacklist a company forever, I'm guessing Roland would disagree along with every other printer company. ColorCAMM and even early revs of VersaCAMM were something less than gems. But folks who would pass on an XC because of that would be serving their emotions, not making an intelligent business choice.

IMHO,

Jim

Jim Doggett

Now back to our regularly scheduled program ...

Espon GS6000. Is wider gamut on the wish-list, or is it speed / cost-reduction most important?

Sethm

Questions about the new Epson

The printers are supposed to use an ink that doesn't need ventilation. My question is if they are producing this ink for the Mutoh (which needs ventilation) and they are producing it for their machines how is this ink not as hazardous?

Is it just what they are saying to get it sold and out the door?

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
The printers are supposed to use an ink that doesn't need ventilation. My question is if they are producing this ink for the Mutoh (which needs ventilation) and they are producing it for their machines how is this ink not as hazardous?

Is it just what they are saying to get it sold and out the door?
Welcome to the forum.

Alcohol has been known to give people head aches but they still sell sell it for internal consumption..:Welcome::thread:wine-smi::toasting:

buffalo.chuckl

You need to decide which printer is right for you based on need.

Well Jim,

It's a matter of perspectives. To some the wider color gamut is very important. To most, price-reduction is the most important. The thing is, no one wants to drop almost $20k on a lemon, so they do a lot of research. In the end, people have to decide which printer is right for their business needs in what they are doing. The purpose of forums are great to find out about products from people who are currently using the products of interest for the perspective buyer, but in the end, they have to get a first hand look at a running so that they can see how the machine works and see the prints.

I have sold a GS 6000 to a person who bought one just cause they wanted one, and it took a lot of handholding to make them happy because for their needs, they may have had a better time with a Mimaki or a Mutoh CMYK machine as they just did simple outdoor banners which did not need the wide color gamut. Most of the Solvent printers out there currently are operating on Epson heads and are great machines. But you have to decide what price point is comfortable for you and do you really need the wider color gamut for doing photorealistic work or color specific jobs for high profile clientelle that need a certain color that just can't be done on a simple CMYK. Anyways, I'm getting off track a bit.

The bottom line, if someone is serious about buying a solvent printer, they need to know what they are using it for, then the rest is easy, as they can decide what brand and price. And don't forget to see an actual print sample.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program ...

Espon GS6000. Is wider gamut on the wish-list, or is it speed / cost-reduction most important?

MachServTech

I really like the GS6000, heres why:
The drop size is 3.5 picoliter....impossibly small for solvent...makes an impressive print
The ink really has no smell IMHO less than ecosol
the printheads seem to require a lot less maint. and dont have dropout (based on the folks I have talked to that use it in production)
profiling rip bundled with the machine :)

buffalo.chuckl

As I said, I like the Rolands, Mutohs, Mimakis, and the Epsons. They're all good respectively, and most use Epson printheads. So, why make fight about trying to decide whether the Ford or Chevy is better? Each have their slightly better edge for different applications. BTW, if you know how to treat your prints you can lengthen the lifespan of the prints off the ECO solvent printers. Bottom line: You have to know what you are doing! perfect your craft in signage, not blame technology for the lack of longevity in the prints. There's things out there to make your prints better. As for the prints themselves, set your printers up right in the beginning, and maintain them, and you won't get banding issues and whatnot.

It is true that the Epson GS6000 heads require more maintenance than a basic CMYK solvent head in that you have to do a lot of cleanings and stuff, but if you are a user that maintains the printer regularly like you would your Mercedes, it'll make you money and leave your customer base happy with the prints you gave them. Keep educating yourselves instead of being content with just the given technology. Printers only do what you tell them to do. That's my two cents for the day. :p

jiarby

why are you dredging up a conversation that happened 6 months ago? If you got an ax to grind send him a PM.

MachServTech

It is true that the Epson GS6000 heads require more maintenance than a basic CMYK solvent head in that you have to do a lot of cleanings and stuff
Mostly I agree with your previous post, but the GS requires A LOT less maint. than a solvent printer. In fact it behaves much more like an aqueous printer,(big difference from a mutoh) which is why I am interested in buying one. You make good points about our industry's habits with digital printers, printing and prints. Many people want to blame a manufacturer, a dealer or an employee when something doesn't work out. If you are willing to pay thousands upon thousands for the equipment why don't you educate yourself and your employees about it.