• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gun threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark galoob

Why are gun threads here being closed. Productive discussion and debate should exist to come up with a reasonable solution to our national violence problem and guns are part of this national discussion. I vote we should be able to have these threads in the appropriate forum area

Mark galoob

WildWestDesigns

Why are gun threads here being closed. Productive discussion and debate should exist to come up with a reasonable solution to our national violence problem and guns are part of this national discussion. I vote we should be able to have these threads in the appropriate forum area

Mark galoob

I would guess it's because it falls under "political topics", which isn't allowed even in this forum area.

SignManiac

This is a sign forum, I like things to stay on topic if possible. I'm sure there are a lot of gun forums out there for discussion.

Techman

I want and need to read about sign making, tips of the trade, and getting ideas from others how to make cool looking and fully functional visual marketing aids. If I want to learn about some one's opinion about guns I would go to Face Book and watch each other eat each other over there.

phototec

Two firefighters were shot and killed and two others taken to a nearby hospital after a gunman opened fire on them as they responded to a house fire in Webster, N.Y., this morning.

http://news.yahoo.com/firefighters-shot-dead-upstate-ny-fire-150346447--abc-news-topstories.html

If this keeps going on, then big brother is going to take all our guns away....

Then some day we could all fall into ternary and have no way to fight the suppressive government.

(The title of this thread is on the subject of guns)

:omg:

Bigcat_hunter

Its probably my fault. I didn't see the rule about no political stuff when I replied a few threads down.:Oops: I get awful protective of my second amendment right and get pretty upset when people want to take that right away for the greater good so to speak.

SignShopWebsites

I can see the reason to take out these political threads because this forum is purpose is to help and be helpful, not fuel rants. Even though I am sooooo tempted to rant, I think this forum should be helpful and not get out of control causing people to start hate posting each.

Again, it is really hard not to speak what's on the mind though, so I do understand. :)

SignShopWebsites

By the way, I'm for protecting an individual's right to protect him/herself. Criminals do not care about ANY laws, let alone gun laws, so a law is only going increase the rush they get from getting them, make them want more, and disarm a law abiding, America-loving, citizen.

I've always loved this statement: "Guns Kill People Like Spoons Made Rosie O'Donnell Fat."

Okay, done, now remove this thread, lol.

tsgstl

I find it easier to debate stuff like this here mainly because I don't care (as much) if I offend someone. On FB I have to see these people at family functions whatnot. And it is usually not in a sign based part of the forum.

On the other hand I get it. Most of these topics polarize the community. And I remember seeing something about a tragic incident on this forum where a life was lost. So yeah I get it.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member

Mark galoob

They keep getting closed because I allow them to run in hopes they will remain reasonably civil, productive and on topic. When they deteriorate, I close them.

I find it easier to debate stuff like this here mainly because I don't care (as much) if I offend someone. On FB I have to see these people at family functions whatnot. And it is usually not in a sign based part of the forum.

On the other hand I get it. Most of these topics polarize the community. And I remember seeing something about a tragic incident on this forum where a life was lost. So yeah I get it.

Now we may be getting to the heart of the problem. Your statement sounds like a great subject for another thread.

Marlene

Then some day we could all fall into ternary and have no way to fight the suppressive government.

that might have worked back in 1776 as what the army had for equipment and what you could have was about the same. have you seen what the army has for equipment? do you really think a bunch of wingnuts with guns could fight off our military if the country turned on us? this isn't some lame movie where the kids of the town save the USA, this is the real world. I live in a town of less than 900 people and we have tanks & heavy vehicles with massive guns mounted on top less than a block from my house. if the whole town went after them with guns, we would lose. if you really are concerned about our country becoming a police state the last thing you would want are cops with guns in our schools. the way a govenment gains more control over its people is when the people start demanding more police and prety soon, we can't go anywhere without a government offical with a gun or military standing on every street corner. if you really don't want the govenment to control guns, then police yourself. be responsible with your guns, don't sell them at a yard sale to just anyone who comes by is a start. that's where we got our hand gun. next thing is to lock up your guns and not in a glass case. if you have kids, don't assume your kid respects guns because you taught them to. they are kids. stand up and do the the right thing and support the ban on high cap. clips. it may not change the outcome when a nutball goes bad, but it will slow them down to re-load and that could save a life. the right to have guns has nothing to do with the right to have high cap. clips. if Nancy Lanza had done any of that, would things have been different? there are those who say guns don't kill, people do but when those people want to kill it is a gun they reach for because it is the right tool for the job. so stop making it sound like a gun is no more dangerous than a teddy bear because a gun is a tool designed to kill and that is all it is made to do.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
that might have worked back in 1776 as what the army had for equipment and what you could have was about the same. have you seen what the army has for equipment? do you really think a bunch of wingnuts with guns could fight off our military if the country turned on us? this isn't some lame movie where the kids of the town save the USA, this is the real world. I live in a town of less than 900 people and we have tanks & heavy vehicles with massive guns mounted on top less than a block from my house. if the whole town went after them with guns, we would lose. if you really are concerned about our country becoming a police state the last thing you would want are cops with guns in our schools. the way a govenment gains more control over its people is when the people start demanding more police and prety soon, we can't go anywhere without a government offical with a gun or military standing on every street corner. if you really don't want the govenment to control guns, then police yourself. be responsible with your guns, don't sell them at a yard sale to just anyone who comes by is a start. that's where we got our hand gun. next thing is to lock up your guns and not in a glass case. if you have kids, don't assume your kid respects guns because you taught them to. they are kids. stand up and do the the right thing and support the ban on high cap. clips. it may not change the outcome when a nutball goes bad, but it will slow them down to re-load and that could save a life. the right to have guns has nothing to do with the right to have high cap. clips. if Nancy Lanza had done any of that, would things have been different? there are those who say guns don't kill, people do but when those people want to kill it is a gun they reach for because it is the right tool for the job. so stop making it sound like a gun is no more dangerous than a teddy bear because a gun is a tool designed to kill and that is all it is made to do.

A counterpoint you should know that the main reason the Japanese never attempted to invade the USofA in WWII [the big one] was that they knew that everybody and their dog was armed. They figured they'd get their collective a$ses blown off. This in not conjecture but fact uncovered after the unpleasantness ended.

Moreover a gun is a simple machine designed to launch a small projectile. That's all it is. What you might do with such a machine is up to you. Any further attribution of characteristics is self-serving rationalization.

Marlene

A counterpoint you should know that the main reason the Japanese never attempted to invade the USofA in WWII [the big one] was that they knew that everybody and their dog was armed. They figured they'd get their collective a$ses blown off. This in not conjecture but fact uncovered after the unpleasantness ended.

Moreover a gun is a simple machine designed to launch a small projectile. That's all it is. What you might do with such a machine is up to you. Any further attribution of characteristics is self-serving rationalization.

good point about the WWII Japanese but they like any invaders would have a lot of ground to cover. attack one shore and you have a long coast line with a whole lot of land beyond that. it would be hard to invade us. our own army doesn't have to worry about the space between the two coast lines or the top and bottom of the country either as they have weapons and men in every little town and large bases inbetween. they aren't invading, they are all ready here. Like I said in the other post, I have a bunch of tanks and other heavy equipment within a block of my house as does most people. the connect all the men & equipment as one large force wouldn't take much doing as they also have a network to such a thing. we the citizens would have what? Facebook to connect us all until the govenment shut that down. it would be one on one and maybe small groups against a well armed, well equiped force. if the ground forces didn't get us the force from the air would. there is a squad of F-16s about 50 miles from me soon to be replaced by F35s either the old planes or the new would be able to stop a bunch of guys with guns without even having to send up the whole squad. this isn't "Red Dawn" where the guys with guns actually worked, this is us against the strongest army on the planet...I don't think we would win. that reason for having guns is outdated. we could have won back in 1776 when the playing field was equal.

as far as a gun being just a machine, you are right, it is and its only use is to shoot a projectile. that is what it is in plain simple terms. it is like saying a bomb is just a machine made to blow up things, a flame thrower is a machine made to shot fire and so on. the thing is those machines were made for kill and that is their only purpose. if I needed to dig a hole, I could use my hands, a shovel or a backhoe. with all three available, I would go for the backhoe. if only the shovel and my hands were available, I would go for the shovel. if no shovel or backhoe was available, I'd use my hands. considering the three options, my hands would do the least amount of good digging the hole, the shovel would work but it would take some time and but the backhoe would fly thru the job. same thing applies to guns. if I wanted to kill and there were the options of my hands, a 22 pistol and a semi-auto rifle with a clip that held a crap load of rounds, which would do the job better? I don't disagree with you on the tool/machine but since it is the tool of choice to kill, that is the problem. you can't change the intent of the person using the tool/machine but we also don't need to make the work easier for them by providing them with military style weapons with clips that hold a ton of bullets.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
...US military equipage and abilities deleted...

I don't think we would win. that reason for having guns is outdated. we could have won back in 1776 when the playing field was equal..

Attend... If the 2nd amendment is in place to provide some measure of insurance against a government turned tyrannical, that an armed citizenry should be able to stand against such a day, then does it not follow as the night unto the day that the citizenry ought to be at least as well armed as threat they might face?

I see no reason save a self-serving government why there should be any restrictions whatsoever on how any citizen might choose to arm itself.

Such is the price of freedom. If from time to time someone becomes unhinged, manages to latch onto one of these weapons, and commences to shoot up the neighborhood, deal with the person and the unhingment and not the tools used. Work to change this society from one of instant gratification and a seemingly universal quest for one's Wharholian 15 minutes into...what? Something different from what it is. Whatever that might be. Certainly not a citizenry as a bunch of children that must be protected against any unpleasantness and their every want and need provided for at the expense of others property and freedom.

I can't offer a solution, at least one that you might accept, but any actual solution does not involve disarming millions in order to provide the illusion of protection for a microscopic handful of people. Confiscating and/or limiting my choices of weapons does little to protect me. Someone else maybe, but certainly not me. Why is my protection secondary to that of others? Why should I have to give up or have limits placed on my property so that others can feel a false sense of security?

Flame

good point about the WWII Japanese but they like any invaders would have a lot of ground to cover. attack one shore and you have a long coast line with a whole lot of land beyond that. it would be hard to invade us. our own army doesn't have to worry about the space between the two coast lines or the top and bottom of the country either as they have weapons and men in every little town and large bases inbetween. they aren't invading, they are all ready here. Like I said in the other post, I have a bunch of tanks and other heavy equipment within a block of my house as does most people. the connect all the men & equipment as one large force wouldn't take much doing as they also have a network to such a thing. we the citizens would have what? Facebook to connect us all until the govenment shut that down. it would be one on one and maybe small groups against a well armed, well equiped force. if the ground forces didn't get us the force from the air would. there is a squad of F-16s about 50 miles from me soon to be replaced by F35s either the old planes or the new would be able to stop a bunch of guys with guns without even having to send up the whole squad. this isn't "Red Dawn" where the guys with guns actually worked, this is us against the strongest army on the planet...I don't think we would win. that reason for having guns is outdated. we could have won back in 1776 when the playing field was equal.

as far as a gun being just a machine, you are right, it is and its only use is to shoot a projectile. that is what it is in plain simple terms. it is like saying a bomb is just a machine made to blow up things, a flame thrower is a machine made to shot fire and so on. the thing is those machines were made for kill and that is their only purpose. if I needed to dig a hole, I could use my hands, a shovel or a backhoe. with all three available, I would go for the backhoe. if only the shovel and my hands were available, I would go for the shovel. if no shovel or backhoe was available, I'd use my hands. considering the three options, my hands would do the least amount of good digging the hole, the shovel would work but it would take some time and but the backhoe would fly thru the job. same thing applies to guns. if I wanted to kill and there were the options of my hands, a 22 pistol and a semi-auto rifle with a clip that held a crap load of rounds, which would do the job better? I don't disagree with you on the tool/machine but since it is the tool of choice to kill, that is the problem. you can't change the intent of the person using the tool/machine but we also don't need to make the work easier for them by providing them with military style weapons with clips that hold a ton of bullets.

Military grade weapons pretty much ARE illegal. You cannot go purchase full auto's, grenades, bazooka's etc. from a gun store. Yes you can still find ways to get your hands on a AR 15 without getting your hands dirty, but I could do just as much damage with a pair of 9's so it's a mute point. As a firearm owner I can say there is actually quite a process to purchasing many weapons. There's a background check, waiting period and a high price to just purchase a single handgun.

As far as the tanks, airplanes etc. thing, never going to happen. A full on war between government and citizens? Where would the point be? If you wipe out the people, you wipe out the country, and what's a country worth without people? There is no advantage/value to that, however there would be worth to have a insanely large workforce that is limited to how it can resist you when you start working them too hard or taxing them too hard, thus you slowly take away their ability to flare out, fight back etc. One of those those techniques would be to remove objects that the public could use against the police force, aka guns.

This is merely my personal opinion, and I do not believe our current selection of officials is trying to put us under any form of dicatorship kind of rule...however power corrupts, and things can drift south fairly quick if people don't keep things in check.

mark galoob

I too believe that fighting the govt is a huge no win situation. If they want you USA cant be stopped. Now on the other hand I beliieve I have the right to use as much firepower as I want to in order to protect my home and family from bad guys with guns. I should not have to be limited to a six shooter when the bad guys have AR 15's.

Ps my son has 2. Armed popos at his school on duty every day.

Mark galoob

Status
Not open for further replies.