• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Halftones and visual effects

I am working on some tee shirt art for our race team, I have all the artwork done but need to highlight/accent parts of the cars, On other shirts I have there are blue and black halftones on the wheels and glass ares to give it dimension, anyone know how to do this,I'm working in X3 and have adobe Ill. and photoshop...

creative

Just drop a shadow to watherver you want and the color you want, then convert the entire image to .bmp CMYK and print your positives.

vid

Are you working in spot colors or PMS Spec Colors?

If not, change them to spot colors. From there, you can simply use a tint of that spot color for highlights or gradations.

For example, a linear gradation can be built using 100% PMS 485 Red to 40% --- as shown on the sample piece below in the the side of the body. There are also oval and linear blends in the tires as well as a vector shape blend in the hood of the car.

It's all tints and blends of spot colors. This art was built with 4 spot colors, red, teal, yellow and black.

I find it easiest in Illustrator or CorelDraw, but it can be done in Photoshop Channels, too.

Hope that helps.

Attachments

• 101_567.jpg
    101_567.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 155
  • 101_567W.jpg
    101_567W.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 119

Ken

Hey Vid, that is impressive. In X3, how do you do a vector shape blend?
Thanks...Ken

vid

I don't use X3 for illustration much. But, there is an interactive blend tool somewhere.

It's a simple trick, just select two objects and blend them. You'll need to define how many steps you want, though.

Other than that, colors, shapes, and some effects will blend across the objects.

After that, it all depends on how complex you want to make it. I use that technique for highlights on illustrations because it is easy for me to think it through and offers a more custom look to an illustration than the typical default linear and radial blends. Others use the gradient mesh tool in Illustrator.

:thread

It's also an easy way for me to draw neon. I'll set the stroke/outline thickness to the size neon tube spec'd, 15mm, for example. Rounded ends and corners on the stroke, too. Then draw the neon image using a PMS (800s) fluorescent color.

Once I'm happy with the image,
I'll copy the stoke/outline and paste in front
Adjust the tint of the color to 30%
Set the stroke thickness to 4mm
blend the two strokes/outlines
Then throw a black box in the background to give the customer an idea of the look.

Once the drawing is approved, I'll convert the outlines to objects and paper plot the paths at actual size for the neon bender.

Attachments

• 101ShapeBlend.jpg
    101ShapeBlend.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 109
  • 101ShapeBlendW.jpg
    101ShapeBlendW.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 86

signage

corel interactive blend tool

Here is the corel interactive blend tool.

Attachments

• interactiveblend.jpg
    interactiveblend.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 108