• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Happens too often...

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
I have been in this trade for quite a while and what I've learned is to put down my eagle. After all I only in to make a signs and to help the people that pay me to carry out their message nicely. If my client need to put 10 lines of text in their sign I would say no problem and do my best to make it look nice. In the beginning I use to think I "know" everything but I actually don't. Each business is different and has unique need and I can not dictate how the owner should run their business. In the beginning I certainly do suggest my idea but if customer does not like it I will gladly go along with their idea...isn't it what we did all the time?
"Nice" and "art" again is a concept of each individual and time. I certainly is not a fan of Picasso. and who would say that a sign made 100 year ago with only text is not nice? If a Chinese company asked you to design something in all red would you say no because you think green will sell?
Only when I win a lottery then I will do it ...my way.

By having an opinion on what works and what doesn't isn't exactly the same as comparing Picasso (I don't like his style either) to other painters.
Layout Design has rhyme, reason, and purpose. Artistic painting is more subjective. Layouts on vehicles have "marketing value" and have a very short amount of "impression time" unlike a painting sitting in a museum for people who pay to come ponder it.
You don't have to "know everything" to have an informed and educated opinion on Design layouts for vehicles. It's common sense to say something is "too busy" or "doesn't flow" etc.
It's more objective than you are making it out to be and this is one example of how ...for the purposes of vehicle wraps, less is more. You want to be eye catching and remembered.
Vehicle wraps aren't (for the most part) supposed to take the place of your Website Homepage or F.A.Q. page.
They are supposed to drive people to it or make an impression on them.
At least that is the consorted effort and consensus of (most of us apparently) in this wrap forum.
Does it mean it's wrong to do work we don't like? No. It just means we slap our foreheads when it happens at the customers request...and share it in here.

WCSign

We should have a contest to see who can do the best design WITH all of the clients required text. Then take the entries and do a voting poll for a week or so.

Maybe get a merchant member to donate some prizes. We have contests for members on my forums all the time. Its fun. I dont have much I could offer you guys that you probably dont have, but id be happy to donate a website/wordpress install and quick learning session. If that would help anyone?

Im a "busy text hater" myself, but it might just inspire us to find new ways to apply the words in a clean manner.

WCSign

Let's not try and turn this site into a crowd sourcing site.

Is that directed at me? crowd sourcing for whom? The contest idea could a truck for ABC Pest control and the owner could want to name all the bugs that his company can eradicate. It dont have to be dicks flooring and other 3 businesses. (plus, the job is already done)

The point of forums are to learn, have fun, interact, rant and generate overall traffic for advertisers. Contests that fit within the context of the forum subject are the #1 way to encourage ALL of this, and it builds consumer confidence with advertisers when they participate with giveaways.

Stanton

There are ways to handle an "over populated" layout...

Use low contrast colors for the laundry list of services.
Light grey, light blue or pale yellow on a white background
will de-emphasize that portion of the design.

Create a "hard target" focal point in the design
to dominate the viewer's attention.

Grow the content that you know needs to be prominent
and shrink the crap that you know should not even be there.

One time I ran two rows of 3" copy down one side,
around the back and up the other side. At about knee level.
Like a racing stripe.
I added more verbiage to keep it from being repetitive.
Did my "art" in the free space.

Ultimately, we are selling design.
Anyone can print and apply.

I have a three ring binder with six examples of 'good' and 'bad' layout.
Six different 'projects'.
The good layout is on the left and the bad on the right.

When I need to convince someone that I am better at this than they are
I pull it down and let them leaf through it as I explain why one works
and the other does not.

Turn the last page and there is an image of an ugly old ice cream truck.
Imagine the worst ice cream truck ever, complete with rusted PA horn on the roof.

I say nothing about that. Wait for it to click.

Sometimes you don't win. :Big Laugh

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I do complete branding, but occasionally, I get a one
off project. On any design project I am working on,
I want to see everything they have... website, business
cards, sign, brochures... usually they are laking in
something. I try to build a cohesive look that ties it all
together. When you show the whole thing, one part
compliments the other part. A wrap can not be everything...
there are limitations.

Printers/replicators only print what's given to them.
There is no process, rhyme or reason...

It's not art... it's design. It's a process.

One thing about the Van being parked...

it's about impressions. a van parked in a driveway gets
a few looks at best.

One driving down the street to that job gets thousands...

Design for optimum visibility, legibility, brand recognition
and impressions.

striper14

i couldn't figure out what R..O..eleven had to do with carpets ???:banghead: its only midnight here....or is a really bad logo ??