Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Happens too often...

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by DesireeM, Mar 6, 2014.

1. DesireeM

DesireeM Member

Jan 31, 2012
    Sudbury, Ontario Canada
    I like when others post examples of their work so here goes....the first photo is of the wrap I designed originally (simple and bright) and then what he actually went with after lots of revisions and despite my very logical reasoning against using his van as a brochure.

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. GaSouthpaw

GaSouthpaw Active Member

Dec 1, 2005
    Georgia
    Makes you want to smack 'em, doesn't it? Too bad people so often ignore the experts.
    Nice work on the proposed one.
    (Also, damn you, Daimler, for putting that ginormous black line down those things!)

3. genericname

genericname Active Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Canada
    You win some, you lose some. Good on you for at least trying to pretty up Ontario's armpit!

4. Stanton

Stanton Member

Dec 7, 2013
    I feel for you

5. DesireeM

DesireeM Member

Jan 31, 2012
    Sudbury, Ontario Canada
    Thank you and I know! Gotta love designing around those big industrial eye-sores.

Omg I almost choked on my lunch on that one! hahaha I've never heard Sudbury referred to as Ontario's armpit but I asked a co worker and he said that the full saying is "Sudbury is Ontario's armpit but Hamilton is its a**hole." I guess I'm too young to understand the reference...lol

6. genericname

Feb 27, 2009
    Canada

He is not wrong. I spent a few years in Sudbury, and I have a lot of family there. Grew up in Timmins though, where the saying was well known. Still, we're a self-deprecative bunch, so we usually worked in a line about Timmins being the groin or something.

7. Locals Find!

Locals Find! Very Active Member

Oct 17, 2010
    Fort Myers
    Besides the logo looking bad on the 2nd one. The 2nd design is much better. It is clean easy to read and get the message across. The first design looked cluttered, busy and had way too much white space.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  8. DesireeM

DesireeM Member

Jan 31, 2012
    Sudbury, Ontario Canada
    I hear the self-deprecating part for sure! I was born in Timmins, grew up in Cornwall and moved to Sudbury roughly ten years ago. So if Sudbury is the armpit I'm guessing Cornwall is more likely the a**hole...you know, because of the smell lol.

9. ddubia

ddubia Member

Sep 13, 2006
    Northeast Ohio
    That went from attention getting with a lot of pop to, 'I ain't gonna read all that'.

It does happen all too often.

10. genericname

Feb 27, 2009
    Canada
    Are we even looking at the same designs? The second one is a bloody text book.

11. DesireeM

DesireeM Member

Jan 31, 2012
    Sudbury, Ontario Canada
    Duly noted however there's no need for the nasty tone... You speak as though I've offended you somehow.

The first pic is a first draft design to get a feel for the customer's tastes....it was by no means a final draft. All I had at the time was his logo and phone number and that he wanted somethign bright and bold. I guess I could have slapped them on a solid colored background or maybe a photo of clouds if you'd prefer..... And there's so much white space because he originally only wanted a 1/2 wrap.

I'm sorry you think the background is garbage seeing as I designed it from scratch but I guess that's just a matter of opinion.

12. player

player Major Contributor

Apr 24, 2006
    Toronto
    Is it just me that finds the letter spacing too tight?

13. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    While your layout was far better, it still had a bad flow and continuity to it. You might've been able to pull it together more with one or two of his final elements, but I still feel for you..... having to put the Bible on the side of a truck.

Next time, just kick 'em in the seat and tell 'em to get outta your shop. :Big Laugh

14. DesireeM

DesireeM Member

Jan 31, 2012
    Sudbury, Ontario Canada
    Can't argue with you there - like I said it was just a first draft that would have been refined had he liked the direction I was going.

Oh how I wish Signs101 had a "Like" button so I could simply concur to a well said reply like this without all the work.

15. thinksigns

thinksigns SnowFlake

Nov 28, 2010
    Aren't "NO WAX" and "HARDWOOD" the same item. Why do they both get stars?

16. SignManiac

SignManiac Major Contributor

Mar 25, 2006
    Mars Florida
    A ladder would have made a huge difference. Some customers just know more than we do.

17. Joe Diaz

Joe Diaz Very Active Member

I feel for you. I've been trying to master the art of convincing difficult clients that our good design decisions were actually their idea. It works most of the time, but every once in a while you just cannot win.

18. TammieH

TammieH Very Active Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Pacific NW
    Yeah, that sucks, your original layout is so much better than when your customer gave his 2 cents....I feel for you

Sometimes all you can do is shake your head, and disown the finished product, haha!

19. JBusch260

JBusch260 Active Member

Jan 22, 2013
    I think your first design, including your background design was fine. It was a little busy, but it fit the overall theme of your layout. AND it was worlds better than the customer's choice. Use your background for an upcoming customer that has a better sense of style. ;)

20. Stanton

Stanton Member

Dec 7, 2013
    :Big Laugh

When a client gets too involved in my design,
    I'll put 'staff' of 'customer' in the Designed By: box
    in the title block.

(instead of hitting the delete key and going home.)