• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hard drive ghosting?

Flame

I'm trying to buy a new computer, but was curious what it took to ghost the hard drive from my old one... onto my new one? Basically all my files, programs, settings etc. I want it all the same, on my new computer. This is possible, right? Isn't just software?

Anyone know how to do this?

:thankyou: in advance.

Replicator

I use a program called True Image. http://www.acronis.com

Load it on your old computer create an image [BACKUP], then load it on your new machine

and transfer the backup onto the new machine and execute the backup.

It worked for me !

Good Luck !

Pro Image

I seen a USB cable and software package that advertised you could move all your info and programs to a new Vista machine from a XP machine.............I think It was at ..........OH NO Wally World.......................:0)

Techman

you cannot ghost from an old to a new machine suing XP.
REgistraion, drivers, wga activation all will be different.
It can be done, but it aint the best way.

gvgraphics

With XP it is best to backup all files and reload to the new PC. It is also best to reinstall all programs. You can thank Mr. Bill Gates for this.

signage

Acronis can do an image and you can then extract the files from that image onto the new drive. Techman is correct about restoring the image onto a new computer, you do not want to do that!

Cadmn

Back in the day I used LapLink Pro but as stated you now have a chance for a fresh install & No little files in the background to slow your system

Flame

Erg..... thing is I don't have a couple of my programs anymore, and I really don't want a nightmare of re-figuring out all my printer profiles, ports etc. I just see this as something that may turn into a hair-pulling experience.

So can I use Acronis, suck the programs outta one hard drive, and put them on my new one?

JimJenson

why not remove the drive you want to copy and install it as a second hard drive in the new computer.
And BTW, a second harddrive is a great way to backup.

signage

You will be able to extract all programs and files, the only thing you will not be able to do is take the configuration files which are used to run the programs. Each systems hardware is configured differently and the dynamic link libraries probably will not work. If you know where your profiles are you should be able to copy them over, on thing that will not work is just copying the programs they need an installer which sets them up to run. So you will have to install each program on the new computer, if you know were you changed setting are stored you would be able to extract them onto the new system. Also once you get the new system up and running you should create an image it is much faster to restore than any other way to recover from a hard drive failure or catastrophic failure. JM.02

bigbly

if you're thinking of Acronis you need the Universal Restore option.
dunno how well or if it works but here's the blurb:

Acronis Universal Restore allows you to restore your entire operating system, applications and all of your data to another PC, even if it has different hardware, or to a virtual machine. Your data will outlast your hardware. With this great feature you can be up and running on another PC in minutes.

ColorDoctor

OK! I have had to do this...but this is ONLY my experience!. I used the NORTON GHOST program. I also am running XP with SP2 (required). HEADS up from an EXTREMELY knowledgeable LOOOOOOOOng time genius...(not me by the way)....VISTA........N O T!!!!!!!!!! WHY..because it requires WAAAAY more than any store bought machine is capable of to run at 100%. Also my lady has been a tech for over 20yrs+..(thank god).....same response...
Now....I went from 98SE to XP Pro. Yes you do have to reload programs BUT if you have the original 'ghosted' on an extra drive you can send it there to find 'missing' files such as 'data', 'cab', 'ini' etc. Long story short I can use my old full ANA 3.5 in XP Pro with the exception of the plotter driver as there is no support/driver for it in XP. Did require the Sentinal Medic patch for the dongle though...But it works. Good luck, upgrades etc are always LOTS of fun...........:wink:

ColorDoctor

...will do some due dilligence....worth knowing about at the very least but reality generally is, there are no absolutes especially with computors...but love checking new options!!!!!!!!!...can I go back to......:wine-smi: ...now???

jru8000

I would agree to install as a slave ,,you can one buy one copy your profile folder out of your programs to that program on the new pc after reinstall..and easily move all your documents, saved customer files, etc...to the respective folder i recomend this way instead of any ghost program......your buying a new PC why drag old glitches with you...but if ease is what you want drivecopy is a good program..if you need walk through help let me know