• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hardhat label

paul luszcz

What type of vinyl and printing do you recommend for application to the compound curves on the side of a hard hat?

I only need a quantity of ten hats. When you put the name on the side, do you do both sides?

webguru

What type of vinyl and printing do you recommend for application to the compound curves on the side of a hard hat?

I only need a quantity of ten hats. When you put the name on the side, do you do both sides?

FYI, OSHA frowns on applying decals to hard hats.

MikePro

FYI, OSHA frowns on applying decals to hard hats.

+1
apparently it is due to being unable to see if there are cracks in the helmet? I forget BUT I have been known to wrap a few hardhats with vehicle-wrap grade vinyl. anything meant for thermalforming should do the trick, but let your client know that OSHA will flip-out on you, if given the opportunity.

mpn

Find a pad printer in your area or try out water slide decals. The water slide decals print nice and would work for small quantities.

paul luszcz

Not the answer I was expecting. I can't recall ever seeing a hardhat without a company name on it. Is there any way to mark a hat that's acceptable to OSHA?

petepaz

i have used oracal 3651 in the past but the size and location of the decal didn't really hit a heavily curved area on the helmet. you can have them pad printed but your set ups are going to kill you.
we would charge about 50-75 for set up and 30-60 for the plate & film + imprint charge (usually about $1 each but could be more on the low qty's)

mpn

I have printed samples on it and you clear coat it prior to application. The durability end I have not tested yet, just wanted to give you an alternate solution to try out.

webguru

Not the answer I was expecting. I can't recall ever seeing a hardhat without a company name on it. Is there any way to mark a hat that's acceptable to OSHA?

Dear Ms. Cohan:

Thank you for your August 10, 2009, letter to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration's (OSHA's) Region VI Office. Your letter has been referred to OSHA's Directorate of Enforcement Programs (DEP) for clarification of OSHA's standards for Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), 29 CFR 1910.132 and Head Protection, 29 CFR 1910.135. This constitutes OSHA's interpretation only of the requirements discussed and may not be applicable to any question not delineated within your original correspondence.

Your question is paraphrased and our response follows.

Question: Are adhesive stickers or paints allowed on protective helmets?

Reply: OSHA's general requirements for PPE are set forth in 29 CFR 1910.132. The specific requirements for head protection (protective helmets) are outlined in 29 CFR 1910.135, which incorporates by reference American National Standards Institute (ANSI) Z89.1-1986, Z89.1-1997, and Z89.1-2003. Both 29 CFR 1910.132 and 1910.135 do not contain provisions that explicitly prohibit painting or the placement of adhesive stickers on helmet shells. However, the employer's ability to comply with the existing requirements of these standards may be adversely affected by the painting or placement of adhesive stickers on the helmet's shell.

For instance, OSHA standard 29 CFR 1910.132(a) requires that PPE be "...maintained in a sanitary and reliable condition..." [Emphasis added.] To ensure a helmet is and remains in a "reliable" condition, the helmet must be inspected prior to use for signs of dents, cracks, penetration, and any damage due to impact, rough treatment, or wear that might reduce the degree of protection originally provided and used and maintained in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions. Paints and stickers may eliminate electrical resistance and – depending on the location and quantity – conceal defects, cracks, penetration, and any damage that would be otherwise readily identifiable during the employee's inspection to ensure reliability. Another concern is that paints, thinners, and solvents, as discussed in Appendix A of ANSI Z89.1-2003 and the appendices of the 1986 and 1997 versions, can also attack or damage the shell of a helmet and reduce protection.

For these reasons, painting or applying stickers must be performed in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions, unless the employer can demonstrate that the altered protective helmet is equally as effective and protective as those meeting the requirements of Z89.1. Protective helmet manufacturers usually provide very specific instructions regarding paints, stickers, or decals that will not negatively affect the performance of a protective helmet.

OSHA would consider painting or placing adhesive stickers acceptable if the manufacturer authorizes the alteration or the employer can demonstrate that the reliability of the helmet is not affected by the paint or the adhesive on the stickers; and the paint or placement of stickers would not reduce the ability to identify defects (i.e., use of see-through stickers) or other conditions that would indicate a reduced reliability.

Thank you for your interest in occupational safety and health. We hope you find this information helpful. Please be aware that OSHA's enforcement guidance is subject to periodic review and clarification, amplification, or correction. Such guidance could also be affected by subsequent rulemaking. In the future, should you wish to verify that the guidance provided herein remains current, you may consult OSHA's website at http://www.osha.gov. If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact the Office of General Industry Enforcement at (202) 6934850.

Sincerely,

Richard E. Fairfax, Director
Directorate of Enforcement Programs

J Hill Designs

Both 29 CFR 1910.132 and 1910.135 do not contain provisions that explicitly prohibit painting or the placement of adhesive stickers on helmet shells. However, the employer's ability to comply with the existing requirements of these standards may be adversely affected by the painting or placement of adhesive stickers on the helmet's shell.

was just about to post this

Convex for helmets

Convex® has been used since 1998 on hard hats and helmets without incident. GearWrap, the adhesive used on Convex GearWrap is permanent, yet cleanly removable for refurbishing purposes. GearWrap is specially formulated for Helmets. If they can use it in the NFL and every division below it without issues, it's OK for hard hats too. Welding helmets and LSE plastic require something stronger like Convex High-Bond.

Here's the Convex website for more information:
www.convexvinyl.com

Doug Goodloe
Product Manager for Convex

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
So..... they do specifically mention if the decal or sticker is see through. Then if it is a plain white hardhat maybe printing on clear lam might be an acceptable option. The image would look find due to the white helmet while technically still being transparent to allow any defect in the helmet to show through.

Kev41

Hi guys
don't post much but have came across this before in the Uk and was told by a manufacturer that solvent adhesive should not be used on Hard Hats so i always used Oracal 3164 which has a water based acrylic glue with no complaints.
Hope this helps

Kev