• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Has anyone ever seen this happen to paint?

ScottyAdams

Hey signs101,

So we were back painting two clear acrylic panels with semigloss white. First one came out great no problems. On the second one as soon as the second coat of paint was applied this happened instantly. We had no idea what was going on. let it dry completely and gave it a light sanding in hopes we could just paint over it and you wouldnt notice it from the front. As soon as the third coat goes on, same thing in the same areas. Anybody have any ideas on why this is happening, how to avoid it in the future, or how to save this sign? Any help is much appreciated as we have never seen anything like this before. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0313.jpg
    IMG_0313.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_0313.JPG
    IMG_0313.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 109

TimToad

I'm sorry folks, I read right past the second coat part. Thumbs up on everyone else's thoughts so far on the cause.

Boy, that's a tough one. Did you wipe it with anything before painting it? Could anything have gotten on the wipe or rag?

I want to say the culprit could be static, but it also looks like something on the surface keeping the paint from adhering in one even sheet.

A trick we old timers used to do before spraying or lettering on acrylic faces was to wipe the surface with a barely damp chamois and then let the chamois sit at the bottom touching the opposite side of the acrylic to absorb any new static that may have accumulated.

Could you sand the entire surface and then paint them, or would that affect the color too much?

MikePro

first coat was too thick, causing top layer of paint to dry over top of soft underlayer.
When second coat applied, the solvents in the paint shrink this layer, causing the wrinkling.

The way to avoid it – spray only when the temperature is 65 – 85 degrees, apply only light even coats, and re-coat every few minutes. Also read the back of the can. Some brands say you should get all re-coating done in under 30 minutes. After that, do not re-coat at least for 24 hours or the paint may wrinkle.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
No matter what paint you used, it was painted too quickly. The first coat was not thoroughly dried, let alone cured.

Sign Eagle

If it was spray can, many/most say recoat within an hour or wait 48 hrs. They don't mean an hour and a half and they don't mean 40 hours.

CreatedDesigns

This is called Lifting or crazing in the paint world. it is caused from to much film build and not enough flash time between coats , poor prep (contaminates on the surface below the paint) or chemical incompatibility (could even be caused from not mixing the primer or paint correctly), the only way to fix it is to sand it down and start over.

http://www.ppg.com/COATINGS/REFINIS...INGANDTECHNICAL/Pages/1350_Paint Defects.aspx

This link has every defect known hope it helps someone.

Billct2

Yep, second coat applied before 1st layer was dry. Can also happen with incompatible materials

Craig Sjoquist

If above answers are correct, no need to rewrite about it.

Questions ..

What type of paint used ?

How do you clean the acrylic ?

How did ya spray this ?

Only way to correct is to totally redo, meaning re clean panel 100% DO NOT SAND any part of this, if ya just clean area you will see ghost line& possible color change.

visual800

gotta take your time when layer painting. do several lights in place of a couple of heavy. I know it sucks but yes I have also been guilty of in the past

Jillbeans

I was always taught to do several mist coats in an overlapping alternating pattern.
As others have said, too much paint not enough drying time.
Love....Jill

ScottyAdams

If above answers are correct, no need to rewrite about it.

Questions ..

What type of paint used ?

How do you clean the acrylic ?

How did ya spray this ?

Only way to correct is to totally redo, meaning re clean panel 100% DO NOT SAND any part of this, if ya just clean area you will see ghost line& possible color change.

What do you recommend I clean the paint off with ...its a clear acrylic panel so sanding down would scratch the clear and show through on the face. what can I use to get the paint off without damaging the clear acrylic? any ideas?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Your best bet would be to start with new pieces. The chemicals involved, along with time will cost you far more than just getting new pieces and doing it correctly. Plus no chance of going to all that trouble and not coming completely clean. Use that piece on the other side for practice.

edit : I haven't seen..... are you spraying or roller coating ?? Rattle can will probably not do it according to the size of that piece.​

ScottyAdams

spraying with a rattle can with rustoleum 2x ultra cover paint and primer in one white gloss wood metal plastic and more.... panel is 1'x5'

Gino

Premium Subscriber
spraying with a rattle can with rustoleum 2x ultra cover paint and primer in one white gloss wood metal plastic and more.... panel is 1'x5'
Start over, you've already wasted enough time and money on that little panel. Also, try using Krylon Fussion. It's made for plastics. Do several light coats. That stuff is made for layering it on. I don't think the Rustoleum is really good for clear acrylic. Since you're doing a reverse spray, just use the color you want to show through as all of your layers. Don't use primers or any other heavy paints.

petepaz

No matter what paint you used, it was painted too quickly. The first coat was not thoroughly dried, let alone cured.

yeah what gino said. same thing happens on my xc-540 with the white ink. if i don't let the white dry long enough before putting the color over top it cracks

ScottyAdams

At that size why not just sheet with vinyl?

We tried that originally but the vinyl side needs to be attached to existing wooden panels. We tried VHB alone and the signs fell off in about 3 weeks (exterior of the building). Correct me if im wrong but we have always thought no glue on vinyl. So after the signs fell we went with backpainting so we can vhb and silicon to the wood panels. :banghead: