• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Has anyone ever seen this happen to paint?

Billct2

OK, more info needed. Exterior wood panels? What kind of surface & finish? The VHB stuck to the wall but not the panels?

Craig Sjoquist

Oh boy this turned into a disaster & a big learning for ya ouch.... Just for laughs did a double sided back lighted large sign cost me $800 to do cost me another $800 to redo what a lesson that was lol.

Ok the paint ya used is not normally what is used & today if you are not doing alot of back lighted signs & get stuck with a clear acrylic USE white translucent vinyl or at least white premium vinyl I have used white vinyl mask that has lasted 10 plus years......on the inside, lettering outside.

Forget paint & not rattle can at all.

Cleaning off what ya have..ya must clean 100% & I mean 100% then clean it again get my drift ?

Since at this point I am not sure what will work best to clean I normally start with weaker chemicals like..Mineral Spirits soaking ... how ?.. lay cotton rags is best , newspaper, paper towels etc. will work also on acrylic pour on Mineral Spirits let it soak then rub off

Ok if not working a stronger chemical like xylene then lacquer thinner, acetone, oh test test test because it may soften acrylic...even Easy Off oven cleaner which I know is too strong.

Like I said before if you were painting alot of back lighted sign the paint used is Spraylat or Grip Flex & they have great cleaners that are fast & low cost.

Remember this is the cost of learning since ya did not go to a sign school or learn from a proper sign shop.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Oh boy this turned into a disaster & a big learning for ya ouch.... Just for laughs did a double sided back lighted large sign cost me $800 to do cost me another $800 to redo what a lesson that was lol.

Ok the paint ya used is not normally what is used & today if you are not doing alot of back lighted signs & get stuck with a clear acrylic USE white translucent vinyl or at least white premium vinyl I have used white vinyl mask that has lasted 10 plus years......on the inside, lettering outside.

Forget paint & not rattle can at all.

Cleaning off what ya have..ya must clean 100% & I mean 100% then clean it again get my drift ?

Since at this point I am not sure what will work best to clean I normally start with weaker chemicals like..Mineral Spirits soaking ... how ?.. lay cotton rags is best , newspaper, paper towels etc. will work also on acrylic pour on Mineral Spirits let it soak then rub off

Ok if not working a stronger chemical like xylene then lacquer thinner, acetone, oh test test test because it may soften acrylic...even Easy Off oven cleaner which I know is too strong.

Like I said before if you were painting alot of back lighted sign the paint used is Spraylat or Grip Flex & they have great cleaners that are fast & low cost.

Remember this is the cost of learning since ya did not go to a sign school or learn from a proper sign shop.

Makes no never mind how much schooling this person has had or not....... he's trying to attach one surface the [painted acrylic] to a wooden board..... and using tape for an outdoor application. Nothing yet about backlit, but that will definitely put yet still another spin on things if that's gonna happen.

He's probably going to need some sort of physical fasteners or grooves in the wood. Glue, tape, silicon just about anything..... is not going to stick to wood and paint very well, especially outside where climate is going to react differently to each surface. Something is gonna give out. If it's the painted surface, than it will probably peel the paint right off.

Craig Sjoquist

Excuse mis-read & just assumed it was back lighted & since not all info was available I assumed excuse

Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Anyway it sure was a disaster & probably will end this way also, such is life in learning a trade.

Sure do enjoy reading your posts by the way & thank you also, surely they have saved me a headache or most likely a good deal more.

Hoping ya have the best in this new year

bomaboat

I've seen this sort of reaction when painting in a space with acetone fumes lurking. In other words: chemical reaction. Perhaps you painted too soon after wiping them down with some cleaning agent?