• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Has Google Adwords Worked for you?

HulkSmash

We've always been organically popular on search engines because of our name, but we to start targeting more specific to us jobs, and hopefully increase business along the way.

We're about to go knee deep into google ADwords.

Has anyone had success with it? We're going to be budgeting $75-$100 a day for it. Anyone have experience with it they would like to share?

thanks for your time.

the graphics co

for $100 a day you could hire a solid seo firm to make sure you are listed on the top of all the search engines.

I haven't heard any good reviews about google adwords over the years.

Fanaticus

be very specific with the key terms you're using and use long-tail terms unless you feel like paying big $$$ for clickers. You want to target the people who already know what they want and are now shopping to buy it.

tsgstl

be very specific with the key terms you're using and use long-tail terms unless you feel like paying big $$$ for clickers. You want to target the people who already know what they want and are now shopping to buy it.

this^^^

the big words yield nothing and cost a arm and a leg.

I personally hate online advertizing, I think it has blurred the line between buying local. And even more so I think it has blurred the term "wholesale"
Wholesale companies (not all, no disrespect) are selling to the end consumer the same pricing as they do when they claim to "wholesale"

anotherdog

I was in it about to the tune of $20,000USD a month, up until about 7 years ago, back when there were a lot fewer online competition. We were doing quite well, making more than we put into it in the paid search, However around 2005 things began to change; Google became much more popular and sign companies across the world began to "try out" google. Within a couple of months national paid search for signage crashed for us and we dropped it like a hot potato. In the end each live job was costing us over $100 to source. There is always someone willing to burn more money than you to get the clicks.

It's still worth trying but only for more controlled searches on specific locations and wording. You also have to look at the kind of business you get.
Most signage searches are people looking for a 10 square ft. banner says "happy Birthday Mikey".

Mikeifg

We tried but you know the only company comming up first in our area is ADS ON WHEELS and they aren't local but they're doing work in town.

JoeBoomer

Yes. Most recently, my last shop hired a local firm (Reach Local) to setup an add campaign for us. I've had a lot experience with Ad Words before, but I didn't have time to manage the campaign. We threw about $400 - $600 / month at the campaign and it generated quite a number of leads / orders. This could of been a lot better if I would of managed it more and updated keywords, etc. However, with minimal effort it definitely paid for itself.

HulkSmash

for 3k a month, 1 job pays for it. I don't mind paying for it just want to make sure it works.

thanks Joe.

jkdbjj

Here's the most solid advice, current advice I can offer.
There is a study done, that watched several sites that did the following:

1: Sites that are only organic
2: Sites that are only PPC
3: Sites that are both

In every study #3 out performed both 1 and 2 substantially. This is what I would be researching if I were you. As a result, I will be launching a new round of specific Ad Words.
We recently started offering vehicle wraps, as I have historically turned them away due to more other work than we can handle. However, Charlotte is in desperate need of a competent wrap company, as most players fight for all the Nascar stuff here. There is a ton of other work that is getting under served, so we are investing a lot of money gearing up for a massive marketing campaign, and Ad Words will be a small but nice part of it.
So, together, maybe we can trade notes as we move forward since we aren't in the same geographic market.

Just my two cents...

Mosh

This what what I say when telemarketers call wanting to place me on Google....I act like a crazy guy from India...It is quite fun....

"Hello? Is this "THE GOOGLE"? Hello? This is PUNJAB...what is "THE Google"?"

Creative Soul

I am an expert at online lead generation

I am an expert at wrap lead generation (PPC, SEO, Marketing Automation & more) if anyone is interested I would be willing to help setup and run local marketing for you. I will show and teach you how to make this work.

Stephen Powers

Bly

I am an expert at wrap lead generation (PPC, SEO, Marketing Automation & more) if anyone is interested I would be willing to help setup and run local marketing for you. I will show and teach you how to make this work.

Stephen Powers

Free advice?

ProWraps

Ill bite.

been looking for an seo expert to pay. not looking for a crappy cold calling firm but someone that is GOOD and i can build a relationship with.

chris@wraps.pro

send me your info please.

Bly

If you're plugging a service maybe a merchant subscription would be a good idea.

Nothing's free you know.

Last edited:

xxtoni

We've always been organically popular on search engines because of our name, but we to start targeting more specific to us jobs, and hopefully increase business along the way.

We're about to go knee deep into google ADwords.

Has anyone had success with it? We're going to be budgeting $75-$100 a day for it. Anyone have experience with it they would like to share?

thanks for your time.

Contrary what someone else said there is such a thing as free advice, we're giving and receiving it daily here at signs101 after all.

I have a background in internet marketing, mostly SEO but some Adwords experience came through the years as well. IM was my main gig before I became a partner in a signage gig now IM is my second gig.

First of all making a successful awords campaign isn't as easy as loading it up with cash and pressing start. It will start, burning your money. When you want to start a campaign with adwords the first thing you should do is extensive keyword research. This is by far the most important step and if you don't do this properly whatever else follows won't help. It's like a foundation. Keyword research is tough, mostly because there is a lot of "feeling" involved when doing it. Of course this isn't exactly feeling but rather intuitively knowing if something will work or not when you see it and this comes from experience. There are two ways you can go about using adwords: Learn it yourself or pay someone to do it for you.

Learning how to do a basic campaign isn't rocket science but it takes time and effort and I'm guessing that you have more nuts up your *** than a fruitcake already with the business you're doing to think about learning how to do PPC campaigns. If you learn how to do basic keyword research you could do some split testing with some keywords and ads. You basically create a few sets of ads, you choose a few keywords you think will perform well and you create different ads for each keyword, try different CPCs and things like that, you run it for a while and see how which performs. If one has a good cost to return ratio you can stick to that one and take a look at making similar ones. Oh this is probably obvious and someone mentioned it but stay away from the high price keywords like...I don't know "signage" or "banner printing" or whatnot. You want something along the lines (making this stuff up, just an example) "Best LED Signs In Denver". You want to try to find a balance between amount of traffic and CPC.

Just another thing from an inside man...no matter what someone tells you, there are no experts in SEO. They may have years of experience, they may even have real examples of sites they ranked but there are no experts. The reason there are no experts is the same reason there are no "sure things" on Wall Street. SEO is more unpredictable than Wall Street because on Wall Street you can analyze certain things, you can analyze mass psychology, you can find some patterns. SEO is an industry in a bottle, it's Google. It should be called GRO - Google Result Optimization. When Google makes an update to their ranking algorithm sometimes it tanks good and bad sites, sometimes it tanks more legit sites than the bad, sometimes it hits the bad sites pretty accurately but nobody knows what is happening and nobody knows what exactly they're doing.

I'm not saying that you can't rank Google, I do, most of the time but the techniques that the company used to get you to Page 1 or the top 3 might work today and tomorrow Google might penalize your site and you will end up on the 20th page.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask.