• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Has Sign Prime been discontinued?

signtologist

I call my supplier and he mentioned that they do not carry sign prime. I asked him why? and his answer was there is something in the paint that stopped them from selling it again.

Please let me know if you have any info on this topic.

Eric H

No they are still selling it but it has changed. It's junk, overnight drying is recommended between coats and it doesn't sand anything like the old stuff.

the majority of shops that i know have increased the poundage of the sheets that they stock and don't prime at all. and since it has become common for ppl to jump my train on this issue do your research before making a reply.

even if you are using lower weight sheets the only reason to prime is to fill the holes...those holes become smaller as the weight of the sheet increases. for me it is more cost effective to invest in higher poundage sheets and not deal with high build primers and the like. but there are a variety of high build primers still on the market. i am not a fan of most of them unless i am trying to achieve a textured effect (there are a few methods of using high build primers to achieve various textured finishes)

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Are you guys spraying it on ?? Brushing or rollering ?? This will make a big difference.

Trying to fill all those little voids with goopy latex primer is not easy and very time consuming. So like Dan said, it pays to use a denser higher weight HDU and you won't have the problems near as much.

If spraying... it reaches the far bottoms of all he voids uniformly and you won't have the holidays you have with brushing and rolling.

petrosgraphics

we use a lot of signfoam... has everyone noticed a dif. in the cell structure.....
in the 15lb.stock it has gotten increasingly bad.... better in the 18lb. but.....
not like it use to be....... i just wish they would stop screwing around with the product,
lord knows we pay enough for it.. the product was not broken, why did you try and
fix it!!!!!!

Techman

they are using recycled products somehow. They are very proud of it. I still have 4 sheets of 15 left over. Should I save it for something special? Will it become like heart redwood? Impossible to get a a real nice piece?

I am guessing they are using recycled products in the primer too. That is why it is getting bad. If they insist on making it different and a lesser product only to lose sales, why do they do that?