• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Have a problem with adhesive residue on a window

Annette Asberg

Hi again guys
I have a problem with one of our customers saying that the transfertape we used to install her window graphics left a film on the window that they can not see through. The tranfertape was TranferRite medium and she has some kind of tint on her windows. Have anyone else encountered this problem?

Billct2

That is a new one to me. Is her tint a film or is the glass itself tinted? You did the intsall and didn't notice it? Have you tried cleaning it?

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
I have a question. The tint is applied inside the window. You applied on the outside? If so, there's no possible way the transfer tape caused an issue with the tint.

I've had transfer tape leave a residue/impression in the past, but wipe it with a bit of alcohol and it goes away.

Do you have pictures?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Did you forget to remove the transfer tape, itself ?? I've never heard of such a problem. In fact, unless you did something majorly wrong, it's not even possible. Tell me you installed on the opposite side of the tint.

MikePro

could just be adhesive residue from past vinyl removal, that both remover and installer failed to notice. either way, installer should be leaving the jobsite with project lookin' pristine, and pictures to prove it, or client will decide they don't wanna pay (or at least on time).

Annette Asberg

Did you forget to remove the transfer tape, itself ?? I've never heard of such a problem. In fact, unless you did something majorly wrong, it's not even possible. Tell me you installed on the opposite side of the tint.
I think the tint is on the same side as were I added the vinyl. I am on my way down there to look at it now and I will add pictures if it's possible to get any that will show the problem

Annette Asberg

I have a question. The tint is applied inside the window. You applied on the outside? If so, there's no possible way the transfer tape caused an issue with the tint.

I've had transfer tape leave a residue/impression in the past, but wipe it with a bit of alcohol and it goes away.

Do you have pictures?
I think the tint is on the outside where I added the vinyl. I am on my way there and will add picures later today

Annette Asberg

could just be adhesive residue from past vinyl removal, that both remover and installer failed to notice. either way, installer should be leaving the jobsite with project lookin' pristine, and pictures to prove it, or client will decide they don't wanna pay (or at least on time).
We installed it when it was dark and it can't be seen when it's dark.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Never seen this before, but I have seen residue from window perf that only wanted to come off with window cleaner, not rapidtac.
So if there is possibly something, run by the dollar store and grab a bottle of each.

Johnny Best

Well since the tint is on the outside I hope you did not remove old vinyl off the tint.
That’s not adhesive that they are seeing but probably gosting from the transfer paper. Just clean with clean paper towel with Sprayway glass cleaner. Don’t rub hard so as not to scratch the tint film. Use soft paper towels.

Annette Asberg

So here is a bad update.
There is no tint on the window but a protective film and our trafertape took off one layer of the film and there we are. Don't know if you can see it in the pictures

Attachments

• 20191015_102257.jpg
    20191015_102257.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 316
  • 20191015_102248.jpg
    20191015_102248.jpg
    828 KB · Views: 202

Annette Asberg

I'd figure out who may have done the glass work in the building, or find a local shop and see if they will meet you on site to tell you what you are seeing. The idea of a protective film getting ripped off by premask is kindly laughable. You may be able to offer to fully strip the garbage film off the windows...?
Thank's JBurton I will and hope for the best :(

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Protective film on the exterior glass? That is really odd. There are window films that install on the outside but they are used when there is little or no access to the inside. What you have there does not look like that at all.
Old or failing tint (installed inside) can look like what you have there.
3M tint film have (or had, its been a while) a scratch resistant coating that breaks down over time and gets brittle. Put tape or premask on it and it comes right off like peeling sunburn.
Definitely need to find out what the window treatment was before you try to fix anything.