• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

have you ever laminated a scrim banner?

gabagoo

Has anyone laminated a banner using a 3ml laminate through a laminator?

Does it actually work and hold?

I am asking as I am printing a dark blue banner and know it will get scuffed in general handling.

What you think?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Sounds dumb to me, but then, why would I know ??

We've only ever used liquid clear-coat on banners.

gabagoo

Sounds dumb to me, but then, why would I know ??

We've only ever used liquid clear-coat on banners.

Gino, I have used liquid laminate in the past but find with dark colours you have to be ever so careful as any overlaps or buildup of the liquid usually dries with a fog.... I figured on a small 36" x 60" banner maybe an actual laminate would look a lot better.

So to continue. the laminate will work even with folding over the edges to put banner tape on as well?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I have a question... and this would be one I'd ask my own customer if they came to me with this problem........

Just exactly, how is this banner being used that you have to use banner media instead if something possibly more suitable for your needs ??

I can't imagine making something to be seen up so close that you have to laminate a banner, instead of doing a reverse print on something for protection and getting the same results...... like a trade-show header.... or on some very flexible banner material that won't chip or crack.

Also, I can't for the life of me, think of being that incredibly careless with a banner that someone has to protect it from misuse.

J Hill Designs

would you care to describe the application proceedure?

from my experience you have to be very careful especially on a small banner that is seen fairly close up and with dark colours.

i have a couple gallons of clearshiled but as stated it can be pretty tricky.

thin 50%, brush on with 4" foam brush, done

gabagoo

I have a question... and this would be one I'd ask my own customer if they came to me with this problem........

Just exactly, how is this banner being used that you have to use banner media instead if something possibly more suitable for your needs ??

I can't imagine making something to be seen up so close that you have to laminate a banner, instead of doing a reverse print on something for protection and getting the same results...... like a trade-show header.... or on some very flexible banner material that won't chip or crack.

Also, I can't for the life of me, think of being that incredibly careless with a banner that someone has to protect it from misuse.

All I can say is that my printer and dark colours can spell SCUFF!!! It is eco solvent and I have had many issues with banners...even finishing them in the shop can result in scuffs.

Possibly I have some form of ink drying issue.

The banner is for a large bank and I also know that generally they are mis handled.

To laminate a small banner is a small cost for less aggravation.

CanuckSigns

we've laminated banners in the past, no issues, make sure you do it after it comes off the printer and before you hem it.

showcase 66

One of the sign guys here only uses Krylon clear coat to laminate perf, banners and smaller items. He swears by the stuff. If I can find the picture i took of his display for laminates I will post it. He printed his logo and put it on a 4x8 dibond. Laminated every foot with a different application. Put the dibond on his roof from may to August in the AZ summer and the krylon still looks the best when he took it down.

I believe he used a 3m lam, frog juice, krylon, arlon lam, oracal lam, and at least one more liquid lam.

If I cant find the pic I will see if he still has the sign so I can take another one.

gabagoo

Banners aren't suppose to last for ever, but using a film laminate does work well.

I want it to last long enough that I get paid!!!... but dark colours on scrim spell danger with my printer.... Actually the entire banner is a dark royal blue with gold lettering...one false move and it's toast.

Last edited:
J

john1

I know of a guy who has a aqueous printer and laminates his banners because it's not outdoor durable. Works fine.

Malkin

john1 said:
I know of a guy who has a aqueous printer and laminates his banners because it's not outdoor durable. Works fine.

We used to do this as well before we switched to eco-solvent, never a problem.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
We used to do this as well before we switched to eco-solvent, never a problem.
Same here - the only way we could get a gloss exterior banner.
All the aqueous outdoor material at that time was matte.

wayne k
guam usa

Donny7833

We use Clearstar on all of the pole banners we do. All printed on 18oz Bantex. To answer the question of why you would laminate a banner, we warranty our pole banners to the municipalities for 3 years. We used to laminate with a film, but had some issues with peeling at the edges after 18 months or so. The Clearstar is the way to go.