• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Having problem with install.

HulkSmash

EArlier last week you guys helped with methods of install.. thanks.
went there to install and had a few issues...

We're installing F.C.O. sign on a corrugated facade.
We stud mounted, and went to install.. but our bit from the drill keeps slipping on the sloping edges of the corrugated metal part..and won't allow us to drill accurate holes...resulting in our template not lining up.
does anyone have any suggestions to keep the holes straight.. or maybe a better method? Thanks again.

Attachments

• Blo Sign (1).jpg
    Blo Sign (1).jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 102

GP

Can you tap the holes first with a very thin nail?

Then, use progressively larger drill bits, always concentrating on level entry?

CanuckSigns

Corrugated metal is a nightmare, but the best you can do is buy a nail punch and use it to put a dent in the metal for your drill bit to sit it while it starts, if you are really having issues, you can do like above and drill using a small bit to make the hole, than go back with the proper sized bit.

visual800

and we have puch a sharpie stright thru the pattern and marked the side of the angle and then came back and drilled out whereas you can start hold at angle and striaghten it up, dont straighten too quick though, you will go thru some bits

corragated metal sucks but its used alot

ddarlak

Go Bills!
i usually put the drill so it is perpendicular to the surface until the bit starts to bite, then straighten the drill out to perpendicular to the desired surface.

use a bigger hole, i'd say 3/16"-1/4" for an 1/8" threaded stud. The silicone will hold it.

HulkSmash

Thanks everyone for the help.

Got her up this morning.... these corrugations were deep..

Attachments

• 521972_483544668329730_1830653105_n.jpg
    521972_483544668329730_1830653105_n.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 71