• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HDU hot-wire cutting

signage

After the recent influx of hot-wire cutting of EPS and other type of Styrofoam I was wondering is anyone has cut HDU with a hot-wire cutter and if so how did it go.

Justin

I'm curious about this now too. I'm still getting into all this as you know, but I wonder how much hotter the wire would need to be, and if it actually cuts/carves so easily like butter as the foam does..

SignManiac

Not recommended. I believe it gives off toxic fumes. I think I remember this coming up many years ago, but could be misinformed.

Techman

There was a guy I knew who lived just a few blocks from my home who burned plastic foam scrapes just to get rid of it.
He lived another few moths. It ate his lungs until he could no longer breath. Sad, very sad.

tagsigns

I thought sign foam had a very high burn temp... I actually think we tried to torch a piece several years back and were unable to set in on fire. I bet a hotwire would not cut it. As for other foam... i would not burn it and expect not to get sick or worse.

signage

I have found this since I posted my question.

Attachments

• Sign-foam.jpg
    Sign-foam.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 127

george w

Burning eps gives off mustard gas as well as other toxins. Mustard gas was used to kill soldiers in the trenches in WW1. It burns the lungs and causes a very painful death from suffocation. It's nasty stuff.