• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Head Strikes?

daenterpri

I can't figure out what is going. My printer keeps printing these marks in the exact same location on the media. Only today, since I've been printing on Arlon 6000XRP. However, I can't see anything on the media that would be causing this. Any ideas? It seems more mechanical, but what could be wrong with my printer that would cause this?

Every once in a while my printer says the C-LC Print head is bad, but it's not old enough to be bad (as far as I know) and if I do a hard restart it goes away. Does this mean it actually is bad? Like I said, I haven't seen this problem before today. However, my day to day printing is generally a lot of little decals.

Appreciate the help!

(HP L26500, BTW)

Attachments

• headstrike.jpg
    headstrike.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 62

jkdbjj

First thing I would check is those set of pinch rollers. Take them off clean them fully and then try to print. If still present, just take those pinch rollers out while printing on that material. That is the fastest fix.

Other options are the heat is to high, or possibly run at a faster pass setting. Again though, I'd be looking closely at the pinch rollers.

daenterpri

Thanks! The pinch rollers were clean. It was the settings. I can't believe how much better this print looks on 10pass rather than 12 pass. I didn't think that was possible. Kinda frustrated I've been using 12 pass all day.

Thanks again!

daenterpri

I spoke too soon. It appears that the initial 6 inches of the print are nice and solid. Then the quality starts going down from there. Temperature issue?

daenterpri

As you can see from this picture, it prints great for the first 8ish inches, then the print starts fading out and those lines start showing up. I've tried reducing my temperature but nothing seems to change.

Any recommended adjustments?

Attachments

• headstrike2.jpg
    headstrike2.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 54

daenterpri

Ah man, I just printed on some 30" 3M IJ180C and it prints perfectly. Ack. Is this Arlon 6000XRP stuff just garbage? Or is it still a settings issue? I'm using the 6000XRP profile.

daenterpri

Ok, the winner seems to be the Arlon 6000XRP profile on 12pass, 131 degree drying temp, 240 degree curing temp and 45% heat airflow. Now I can print and go to bed...I think.

daenterpri

I spoke too soon again. While I'm not getting the heavy notch marks anymore, and it's not fading quite as drastically, the quality is still not good. It's not consistant like 3M. It definitely has areas of fading. I don't get it.

Anyone?

Robert Gruner

daenterpri,

I don't get it?

Authorized HP L2 resellers are required to install the printers. End users should never sign off on installation without making the reseller print a file to your satisfaction. If he/she can't print on your media, then make him print your file on whatever media he supplies.

jkdbjj

Unless I am missing something, just take those pinch rollers out while printing that material. If it is indeed the same spot consistently. I run into this rarely, but when I do, I just take the rollers out, and then put them back in when I am done with that material.

daenterpri

Unless I am missing something, just take those pinch rollers out while printing that material. If it is indeed the same spot consistently. I run into this rarely, but when I do, I just take the rollers out, and then put them back in when I am done with that material.

The big issue is that the print is fading.

petepaz

if you printed it on different material and it was fine i would say it's the roll of arlon that is not so good. not saying arlon is bad, i have never used it but if you have none of these problems on a different material either the material is bad or your profile?

daenterpri

That's what I'm thinking. Probably a bad roll. Too bad it was my first time using this stuff. Sounds like Arlon might send me a replacement.