Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heat Press

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Hardware' started by artist4christ, May 17, 2010.

1. artist4christ

artist4christ Member

Jan 22, 2009
    I am looking for a heatpress for vinyl and possibly dye sublimation, any suggestions or are there any merchant members that sell them here?

Tags:
  2. briankb

briankb Premium Subscriber

Jul 7, 2009
    Lake City, Florida
    Do you have a budget for the press? I have a Geo Knight clamshell with the auto release. It's nice but takes up a LOT of room and the pressure sensor "upgrade" is not very accurate.

If I purchased another one I'd go with a swing away machine with digital temp and pressure readings and from a well known manf. To get the vinyl to press correctly the temp and pressure settings are critical.

3. Finishline Signs

Finishline Signs Active Member

Jul 3, 2008
    Crestview, FL
    I would recommend a Geo Knight, clam shell or swing-a-way is a preference thing. I have had both and they both are great. Knight's support is second to none and that is very important to me.

4. rcook99

rcook99 Very Active Member

May 25, 2006
    NE
    I have an INSTA 228 Swinger that is 4 years old and have not had a problem with it. Check the warranty also, I am looking at a hat press and am leaning towards the INSTA or Hotronix. Hotronix has the better warranty. I have never needed service so I can't speak for that.

5. SAS

SAS Active Member

Aug 23, 2005
    NC
  6. Mike_Koval

Mike_Koval Active Member

Mar 20, 2008
    Uniontown, PA
    I would recommend a Hotronix. They are the leader in heat press technology, second to none in service and support and all made right here in the US.

Feel free to contact me at any time to discuss options. Special packages available for 101 members.

PM, email or call me for the details.

7. wildhock

wildhock Member

Jun 11, 2007
    Go with a bigger platen. I have 2 hotronix 16x20 swingers and 1 knight DK20S 16x20 swinger. Absolutely love the hotronix. The knight is good but way to heavy.

Jon

8. Mosh

Mosh Major Contributor

Oct 19, 2009
    Nerbaska
    + on the hottroix swinger, had mine for 18 years or so....

9. BobM

BobM Very Active Member

May 31, 2008
    Cape Cod
    Mike Koval will take good care of you.

10. LB

LB New Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Have a Hotronix Swinger..great press.

11. Techman

Techman Major Contributor

Jun 24, 2003
    michigan
    Do not get a cheap chinese press.

Do noty get a cheap any thing press.
    If you get a cheap one you wil find hot spots and codl spots all over it.

IF you have a spot at the right temp and a cold spot (just 10 degree less) you will suffer the wrath of the peeling graphic.
    You will hate yourself and you will wonder what the heck is going on and why it won't stick.

When you get a digital temp gauge and find the temp differences are enuf to cause all that pain then you will gouge out your eyes for following the cheaper is better crowd.

12. curtrnev

curtrnev Member

Jun 10, 2007
    We have the Hotronix slide or drawer style 16x20 , it has been awesome.

13. Air Art Girl

Air Art Girl Very Active Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Imprintable is where I got my Phoenix (hotronics). It is a 16x20 clam style with auto open. I like this machine for garments but not other sublimation items.

I prefer my Knight DK20s for that because it raises straight up and down so the pressure is more even for thicker sublimation items. I also have an old Hix 16x20 clam/swing, don't use it that often but it is a work horse, will never part with it.

14. smdgrfx

smdgrfx Member

Mar 9, 2006
    Houston, TX
    +1 on a HIX. It's a workhorse. Mine is about 3 years old and in the last week, I've had two other signs shops come over to use it because their off brand/cheap one is "not working right".