• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hello Angela here from Miami, Florida

printstopmiami

I started off working in a print shop about a year ago for a friend of mines. We used the Mimaki JV3 printer and cutter. When I started I knew nothing about printing and had never worked in this type of environment.

My friend wanted me to run his shop, and he didn't want to pay anyone to do anything and this is how I ended up teaching myself graphic design, sales, etc. Dont ask me how, but I even ended up wrapping a couple of vehicles. As most of you probably know, its a lot harder than it looks.

I quit working for him because he never had anyones orders on time and I got tired of being yelled at and under paid. He even messed up 2 projects that involved funerals - imagine that! Then all his customers started calling me to do jobs for them. I declined and told them that I wasnt in the print business anymore. I had a 9-5pm. One particular customer was really persistent and somehow dragged me into the business. He referred me to more customers and now I'm busy as "H" and have found out that even though I learned a lot there and am learning every day that there is still a whole lot to learn. I have been reading my butt off.

I was outsourcing everything and am about to purchase my first cutter in a few days.

To make a long story short (too late for that huh?) I'm basically here to learn and when I figure out what the "H" i'm doing, perhaps I can give someone else some useful advice.

Thanks

printstopmiami

Thanks for the welcome

Question,

Is it absolutely necessary to buy a brand name cutter like Roland or Graphtec. Are there any other brands which are reliable? For example I found this site

http://www.masterwarehouse.com/

I considered purchasing a cutter from them as a starter. Bad idea?

Thanks

printstopmiami

Tough Life in Miami

Its not tough to me. There are a few great things about Miami.

1. Most of the crime does not involve innocent victims its usually drug related or something of that sort. I lived in Orlando for 10 months and it was a total disaster. No money, the schools are way behind Miami, a lot of innocent victim crime, the people just dont spend there.

2. The weather is great

3. The pay is getting better

4. If you have a hustle or business you can make so much money because people here spend like crazy. Its not a big deal for them to drop a couple of thousand dollars, so you can make your money quick.

5. You have a sense of customer service, which almost no one down here does, you can win everyone's business. I'm originally from Ohio where I was taught manners. A lot of people here are rude so if you are considerate and respectful when it comes to business you get all the customers who are tired of business owners who are rude and unappreciative.

6. The only thing thats really cheaper anywhere else is real estate and the way the economy is now everyone is losing their homes everywhere anyway.

It all depends on what you are looking for in a place to live.

WRAPS

welcome!!!!! we are neighbors,we're in hollywood so if i can help you (print/cut/both) whatever in any way drop me a line.

WRAPS

imagep

I got one of them cheap mastertecs and we have used it everyday for over two years. Probably not as good as the name brands, but it works for us.

We are getting our "big time" equipment next week, I cant wait.

Just a note but when you make posts on off topic subjects (like your question about the cheap cutters) you may want to start a new thread so that your question does not get lost or ignored.

P

ProWraps™

welcome from nor*cal! i was born in homestead and raised in the keys. have fun here!

Ken

Welcome from BC.
My P-Cut 630 took me a long way into this business. So all the purists will tell you name brand or nothing.
I guess I just didn't know what I was doing was wrong?
Cheers!
Ken

Ken

Kinda glad I dont have Angela in my shop...next thing I know..I'd be the one sharpening squeegees...lol..kidding..welcome aboard...
Ken