• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

hello members

Andy Hobbs

Introduction from Andy in Nashville, guess I'll start off this way,... I'm not looking to get into the sign business. So I can't promise to contribute much to the wealth of experience here.
I am looking for advice, plain and simple.
and by reading up on certain subjects I hope to learn something valuable as well.

I purchased a stika cutter little over a year ago, over this year I've learned alot about vinyl , mainly how much I >don't< know about vinyl !

I bought the unit in order to supliment my main hobby High power Rocketry,In the last year I've designed all of the graphics for my rockets and have made a few dollers cutting vinyl for friends rockets as well. but it remains a hobby as I ususlly don't recoup enough to pay for the time spent , it has paid for a roll of vinyl now and than. and thats good enough for me.Like I said it's a hobby

the last few months I have been experimenting with cutting paint mask because I wanted to add more flair to my rockets than simple monocolored lettering and designs, this has worked out well for me because I'm fairly decient with an airbrush.

well I decided to try and go a little further, by using the "print and cut" feature. I bought some sheets of inkjet vinyl and learned the ins and outs of printing than cutting with the roland , the results are decient yet somewhat limited as I'm sure most of you know.

the big desire factor for me right now is the ability to print white and gold or chrome if possible.

this is obviously not possible with my setup.

sooo... I started looking around for a used printer cutter, I've been watching ebay and the prices , models, ect are all over the place. frankly I hate to spend 2-3 grand on something unseen that may need a new head or worse !

here's what I'm looking for, ability to print white, outdoor ink/resin without having to laminate, (Highpower rockets have a short lifespan), I like the roland products and have studied my tail off to learn Illustrator so I'm looking for something that can import from illustrator (I believe most do) 30" would be a good size but if bigger is better than I am open to that. production speed is not important. Also I don't want to come across as a stranger looking for a deal that could benifit someone on here that "needs" the same thing to keep his business going, It's strictly a hobby for me... is there anything out there that fits my need in the 2-3,000 range?

I know Im new here and I don't expect any offers right off the bat, if any ,I have alot to learn and am willing to listen to any and all advice before making an investment in something that I will regret without a solid knowledge of what I'm doing.

I have read a few simular threads that seemed to go down the wrong track, I don't want to make the same mistakes and assumptions.
If I don't find what I am looking for thru the forum thats ok too, I will atleast learn more about the subject and may be able to find something down the road and actually know what I'm getting into

thanks for listening

Andy

Last edited:

steve b

Welcome from So Cal. Good luck with your venture. Unfortunatley I can't help ya this time around.

steveb

Ken

Welcome from BC.
Rockets are HOT!
You may wish to form an alliance with someone in your area that has the capabilities you are looking for.
Cheers!
Ken

Air Art Girl

welcome to the forum. You can't print white ink or silver or gold for that matter. Your best bet for what you what to do is a Gerber Edge. It is a thermal printer. It uses ribbons and you can put white down on colored vinyl as well as silver or put colors onto gold or silver. Do some research on the Edge. They are pricey but look for a good used one. Learning software will be challenging too. If the cost is too much, find someone in your area you can work with, do the designing and let them do the printing. Maybe work out a wholesale deal.

Andy Hobbs

thanks thats a very real possibility, there are 2 sign shops within a couple miles from me. I stopped by one last weekend just to check it out , good people.

SignosaurusRex

welcome to the forum. You can't print white ink or silver or gold for that matter. Your best bet for what you what to do is a Gerber Edge. It is a thermal printer. It uses ribbons and you can put white down on colored vinyl as well as silver or put colors onto gold or silver. Do some research on the Edge. They are pricey but look for a good used one. Learning software will be challenging too. If the cost is too much, find someone in your area you can work with, do the designing and let them do the printing. Maybe work out a wholesale deal.
Ditto.:thumb:

Andy Hobbs

thanks for the good advice, I have used a sign shop to do the labels for a rocket built and flown in june, here I am with it before launch , It recovered sucessfully after a flight to 1 mile altitude, it uses a cluster of 5 motors. the labels were very simple on this one but I didn't have time to draw them as the construction took soo much time.I could have done most of them on the roland cutter but the upper circular decals were printed, most of my rockets are much more graphic intense, and beyond what I can do with the stika

I have done a little research on the gerber edge , and wow , it would fit exactly what I'm looking for , I may still keep my eye out for a used one, a new one would kill my rocket building budget, a used one would probably do the same .

I'm going to visit the second sign shop next week and bring a rocket with me to kinda show what I'm looking to do, every one is a unique custom. so pricing will be hard to nail down.

again thanks, Andy

Craig Sjoquist

Welcome to a outstanding forum
yes a alliance with a sign shop would be best thinks, for stuff you can not do and need
cutting stencils and paniting effects etc. can go a long way in a hobby you enjoy

fonts live

Andy Hobbs

I apologise for posting my unique needs in a sign forum, but after researching and seeing some of the great graphic work and knowledge base here, I feel like I have found a good place for asking questions about what I am trying to do.

If I'm straying too far from the purpose of this forum ,please say so. I will understand and back off. If anyone would like to see some more pics of what I have done with the stika ,I don't mind posting them, I'm kinda proud of my work so far and (with advice from the forum) want to improve my results.

to be honest I want a gerber edge >real bad< now , but for once I'm going to >try< and follow some sound advice from someone else for a change , rather than let my impulse take over, I'm bad about that , I'll admit my weakness, and be upfront about it, I could come up with the money but also have more important things to take care of in my life.

I guess I'm asking ( subconciously) for someone to talk me out of buying one,the bug has bit me hard

Last edited:

Andy Hobbs

Hi I'm supprised vinyl doesen't come off your rockets when you launch them.Looks like a fun hobby anyway

Most of these rockets are finished with a 2 part clear urethane, however I have seen paint and vinyl burned off of rockets that get into the mach 2+ range,, I built a rocket last year that hit mach speed in 0.2 seconds, however the rocket instantly lost a fin and proceded to disintegrate 500' off the launch pad!

So,it was basically like... 'boom' than a spray of confetti.it was pretty cool to witness but not to the group I was launching with that day.ouch

In the last few days I've learned that the sign businesss can get expensive ,so this should make anyone here feel better...... I burnt $600 and several days of work in 0.2 seconds. it's not for the meek, I'm still telling myself that golf would be cheaper. ! whats that about, ...a fool and his money ?

Last edited:

Andy Hobbs

hey Oneup !, d*** I work in Murfreesboro ! ...mabey we can hook up , you could be my solution with this situation !

Folks...there are mabey one or two main vinyl suppliers that alot of friends go to online, here's one of the most popular, the other would be Tango Papa.com, many of us look to vinyl and graphics from http://www.graphixnstuff.com/rocketry/index.html.

I don't mind posting this link because competition will have minimal (if any at all) impact on their main business, there is atleast one club in every state ,, in most cases 2 or 3... this is something that some here might want to look into,for a few extra dollars ,it's custom and sporadic but definately there. the other half employs local vendors, but I hope it was worth mentioning.

Oneup shoot me an email or PM when you get a chance please

Bradster941

Cool, and welcome to :signs101:

You should post some more pictures, or better yet, videos of some flights.

I'm curious, if your rockets break Mach., and someone was say a mile away, would they hear a sonic boom :help: