• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Helmet wraps

G-Artist

An "old timer" once told me that if you can sucessfully wrap an egg you can wrap almost anything.

It will be a while before I try a helmet...lol.

appligraphics

I too would like to see some helmet pics, I havent done one, but Im not intimidated by it either,As I love to play with heat... I think I will practice out in the shop.. As al iverson stated "practice"?

Rooster

I know you all like your 3M. Try Avery's 1005 EZ RS Supercast. This stuff is unbelievable and knocks 3M's dick in the dirt when it comes to comformability. You can also lay the ink down heavy if you like and it keeps it's composure when stretching.

+1 on the Avery suggestion. The adhesive seems more aggressive than the IJ180 series for sure. Of course on the helmet I was dicking around with to test different cast vinyls, it was also the only vinyl to lift off the clear coat during removal.

luggnut

i have read that 360wraps uses acetate sheets for cutting the overlaps... does anyone know exactly what they mean?

jdmage_mx5

I was at Tommy's shop (360 Wraps) a few months ago to pick up some tips and saw him use the acetate trick. By acetate he means a clear plastic that is about .020 in thickness. You can find an example of it on page 102 of the 2010 Fellers catalog. Hope this helps.

jbennett

Was wanting to try doing a helmet. I experimented with the cheap race car type Mactac M-Print and it definitely is not going to happen. Any recommendations on somewhere to go buy the materials discussed earlier in this thread in very short quantities. All my normal suppliers don't usually sell a yard or two. All help is appreciated.

jbennett

4R Graphics

All the 3M control tac suggestions are spot on just take your time and use lots of heat. Also do them in sections 2 or 3 seems to be the norm. I once viewed a few wrap guys from Fellers at a sign expo a few years ago do a brain bucket type helmet(you know the ones that the Harley guys wear). It was very neat to see there quick way (which was just for show to show off the 3M vinyl abilities) what they did was have a brain bucket helmet mounted on a pedestal then one guy held the vinyl straight up the other took the back off and heated the whole panel then they held the vinyl horizontal over the helmet and very quickly they slammed it over the helmet and it wrapped the whole thing at once with one piece then they just trimmed the edges. Like I said this was on a brain bucket helmet not a MX or full face helmet but neat to watch.

LMHConcepts

Would you all recommend doing the three section/piece layout with a racing helmet? I'm fairly new to wrapping almost completely round surfaces, and am having a tad bit of trouble laying it out so everything flows properly.

I just completely a fire helmet, which was easy because...its fire and all it has to do is flow towards the rear. But how do I go about laying out designs that are more "straight lined"? I ask this because a client has just hired us to make his helmet look like an airbrushed skull.... Why he didn't go get it air brushed is beyond me. I guess he's friends with the owner. But any help is appreciated! I know racing helmets vary in size and shape, but does anyone have a general template they have found or made?

Thanks in advance for the help!

K Chez

Like stated earlier, getting stuff even and symetrical, is super tough. It helps alot if the design is a little "loose". I have yet to try the 380, but 180 has been the best so far. 3951 conforms ok, but the adhesive to too aggressive for my taste. I've also had the edges of my top seam ripple up over time, whereas the IJ180 stays flat. As far as a template, every one is a little different and then factor different sizes into it! I just do a general measurement and have at it!

Here's a couple from earlier this year

LMHConcepts

First of all, those helmets are beautiful. Did you create those from scratch or did you have a little bit of help?

Secondly, when I say "template", I dont mean an actual template, per se, I mean, how do you lay out your designs to make look seemless. Our applicator told me to split the hood down the center vertically, print the left side, right side, and a front piece. When I did this, it gave us the obvious seem down the center, and I am really not a fan of it. I just didnt know if anyone would be willing to share there tips on how they lay there designs out, it would be much appreciated.

Also, I use 3M Controltac IJ180C-10 for all my vehicle wraps. Is this vinyl sufficient enough for the helmets? Chears!

Like stated earlier, getting stuff even and symetrical, is super tough. It helps alot if the design is a little "loose". I have yet to try the 380, but 180 has been the best so far. 3951 conforms ok, but the adhesive to too aggressive for my taste. I've also had the edges of my top seam ripple up over time, whereas the IJ180 stays flat. As far as a template, every one is a little different and then factor different sizes into it! I just do a general measurement and have at it!

Here's a couple from earlier this year

arzu

I also have a reuest form helmet-sticker (small ones) The customer wants to know if the material is not weakening the helmet. Any idea if the generlal sticker-glue can weaken the helmet-plastic??

tree32

overlaminate is needed

would you laminate or would that make it to rigid

Yes... use 3M overlaminate 8520 (gloss) or 8519 (matte). If not iw scratch, fade, and 3M will not warranty the IJ180 without it. It does stretch and conform with the IJ180 so you have to use one of these.

phototec

Attachments

• Helmet Wrap Training Video.jpg
    Helmet Wrap Training Video.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 127