• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help: Cannot Open Port

Brandon708

Hey everyone,

I'll start by giving you the set up

Flexi 10 using the HP5500

When I go to print a job in Rip and Print it the file rips but it doesn't do anything after that. I open the production manager to check the status and it says "Cannot open port"
I think this has something to do with my computer not being able to find the IP address for the printer. Is there anyway I can fix this so it stop resetting or changing.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Brandon

tooth63

Check your connection settings on the printer. Sounds like it setting the IP address using DHCP. Set the IP address manually. Its been awhile since I have used a 5500 so Im not sure where its at in the menu. If you can find the IP address you can type it in a web browser and us that menu. Hope this helps.

Brandon708

I looked at the printer and it gave me the IP address of 192.168.137.128 and I tried to change the port in the production manager to that same IP but it still cannot find port.

tooth63

Dynamic Host Control Protocol. It automatically gives devices on your network an IP address. Your network switch or router handles this. Its giving your printer a different IP address thats why Flexi can't find it. If you set it up manually it will keep the same IP address all the time and should solve your problem.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
ping the printer to see if it can be seen by the system

Open a dos window
then type
ping 192.168.137.128

you should get back 4 replies
if it says "request timed out"
There is something wrong with your network.
I take it this has worked before and something has changed to stop it now?
Updates to a firewall or av software can do this.

wayne k
guam usa

tooth63

How is your plotter and desktop printer hooked up? If its USB they aren't affected by DHCP so they use the same port all the time.

Brandon708

Dynamic Host Control Protocol. It automatically gives devices on your network an IP address. Your network switch or router handles this. Its giving your printer a different IP address thats why Flexi can't find it. If you set it up manually it will keep the same IP address all the time and should solve your problem.

I think your exactly correct. How exactly do I set up my router manually?

Brandon708

ping the printer to see if it can be seen by the system

Open a dos window
then type
ping 192.168.137.128

you should get back 4 replies
if it says "request timed out"
There is something wrong with your network.
I take it this has worked before and something has changed to stop it now?
Updates to a firewall or av software can do this.

wayne k
guam usa
It says it timed out

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
On a windows system it is the "command prompt"
found under the Accessories tab of the start menu.

wayne k
guam usa

tooth63

No you need to set your HP up with a static IP so it dosent change. There should be a connection menu on your printer. I can't remember where its at exactly. You will need to know your subnet and gateway settings also. You can find those by typing ip config in a dos window. Give your printer an IP address different then any other device on your network.

Brandon708

I really apereachate all of your help guys. I did all that and I just cant figure this out. Is there another way to connect the printer so I don't have to do this?

what if I tried a parallel cable instead of a Ethernet.

tooth63

Yea if it has a parallel connection you could do that. Sorry i couldn't help, kind of hard to walk you through it on here.