• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help: Cannot Open Port

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Here is one more try with the ethernet card.
Open up your local networking status page
Select properties
Highlight Internet Protocol (v4)
Properties again
Select the "Use following IP address" radio button.
In the panel on the right from the attached pic:
The numbers in the 2 red boxes need to be read from the printer and
set to the same values you find there.
The yellow box needs to be set one number off in the last 3 digits from what your printer's IP is set to.
192.168.1.128 is what you posted. In the sample I set it to .127
Save these settings to update them.

Now see if you can ping the printer.
If you don't get a timeout this time then the printer can be seen by the network and you should be able to print from flexi after pointing it to the printer's IP address.

If this does not work just reset the radio button back to "Obtain IP address automatically" and the network will be back to normal.

This works for me but I am in the middle of the ocean on the other side of the dateline so you may get different results.

wayne k
guam usa

Attachments

• network-set.jpg
    network-set.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 54

Brandon708

Wayne,
That didn't work either. But it did mess with my internet connection.

Here are my ip addresses on the printer and computer

Computer:
IP: 169.254.38.191
Mask: 255.255.0.0

Printer:
IP: 169.254.71.245
Mask: 255.255.0.0
GW: 169.254.71.245

Any clue how to get these to communicate?

Brandon708

I had this resolved by a local IT guy.

The problem was that there was a conflict with my wireless card on my computer. The internet and printer where trying to use the same card. I just hard wired the internet directly into the computer.

SignBurst PCs

I wish that I had seen this post earlier. I may have been able to help.

It looks like you have two different Ethernet cards. 1 for the printer and 1 for the Internet. This is a excellent way to set it up, but you have to set your printer and the 2nd Ethernet port on your computer (should directly connect to your printer) to a different private IP subnet than your router (Internet) is using.

Most commonly, I will leave the port that the router (Internet) is plugged into alone. This will most likely pickup and automatic IP address from your router using DHCP. Most often, it will be 192.168.1.xxx or 192.168.0.xxx.

It is the 2nd Ethernet card that needs a static IP address (as well as your printer). I will usually set the 2nd Ethernet port to 10.0.0.1 and the printer to 10.0.0.2. The Subnet Mask on both the 2nd Ethernet Port and the printer should be 255.0.0.0. There is no need for a gateway or DNS server in most cases.

This will ensure that the computer knows where to look for the Internet and where to look for the printer. This is all assuming that you have 2 (two) Ethernet cards in the computer.

If you only have one Ethernet port, it is a more simple setup, but there can be more problems this way too.

I recommend the 2 (two) Ethernet port solution on any computer connecting to a printer.