• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help converting plt files...

Tony Teveris

All I will say is that some of you really do not know anything about Gerber *.PLT files or you talk in very general terms which will confuse others readers, maybe even your self.

DecadentDesign

okay.
so i worked with omega files for twenty years. i "buy" my own whatever during this time, and life moves on i get another job, business or whatever.
fast forward to last week. i come across them and want more. however i don't have the program, (See obvious reason above..) and ask a forum for help.
this is the response i would see if i asked? i easily have the same issuse. Funny thing is, where i made them IS NO LONGER IN BUSINESS.
is that excuse legit?
yes it is. google "Fastsigns" framingham, ma.

i am getting tired of read snarky posts or half assed remarks about a situation that YOU the reader were asked for HELP on.
you clearly don't know the entire story, the poster isn't going to tell you his life story leading up to the question because, we
are TOO BUSY trying to afford our lives and so forth.

for those who are critical, you need to look up the def. of "Assumption"

wanna judge something? go yell at a politician. not the little guys.
they are the only friends we have left.

peace.
-Mosh

Thanks Mosh, I appreciate someone having a little faith!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Mosh, I appreciate someone having a little faith!

See, now this pulls at my heartstrings. :rolleyes:

Here ya are, looking for a way to do something possibly wrong... possibly okay....... and all the people who have contributed possibilities and then there are the naysayers...... and the only person you give any kudos to is the only person on here sticking up for your questionable methods of doing business. Why haven't you thanked those who have tried to help you ?? How fast one forgets his direction and focuses on something which seems to hit home a little too much.

Actions speak far more than words written after the fact.

DecadentDesign

I apologize if I haven't been a member very long, posted much, or offered credentials. How should I or could I prove my honesty to you? Apparently, if I try to point out that I didn't make up some huge cover story that, in itself, is proof of my alleged guilt. Can't really win then, can I? It seems like there's a lot of resentment being directed at me for, yes, some general assumption that I am some how guilty of a crime. So I apologize if that agitates me more than a little.

I can understand some people being hesitant to help, but maybe ask better questions so I can try and convince you that I didn't steal these files. I mean really, I can't imagine what I could do, other than maybe you can call the customer in question? (The phone number is in those files after all.) But would that be enough? Could I show you the receipts that I gave to the customer? The receipts for vinyl I purchased via the sign shop I was working, which have the owners signature on them? Would that be enough? This wasn't a case of me doing work for a customer through a another sign shop. This was not a case of me taking a customer to a sign shop I worked for. This WAS a case of me having an existing customer and I was looking for a place to run the vinyl. I walked into this shop and met the owner and he said I could use his equipment for trade and some side work initially. He shortly after hired me and our agreement was that I could do my own projects on my own time using his equipment and space and my materials and we could trade for labor, etc. That lasted for about 9 months and seemed to go South from there.

To fill you in on things a little more. I did, quite stupidly, work more or less as a contractor and I didn't get paid consistently, sometimes a little cash here and sometimes a decent check there. It was actually this project that bailed him out of being seriously in debt with me over the winter months as we worked out a trade of pay for digital vinyl (which I honestly would rather have ordered through signs365). But this trade got us caught up which was good for both of us at the time. Sadly he started getting behind again and started treating me like a subordinate, which, if I'm getting paid on a set schedule I can accept. However, if not, I won't be pushed around. So I finished the work I promised to do that final day, packed up my vinyl that I bought all on my own, and said goodbye.

I really don't know why this has to be so complicated. If you have trust issues why comment at all and why throw insults? If you might want to help but you are hesitant then tell me what you would like to know and I'll see if I can accommodate you. I swear I've seen similar posts on similar sites without any of the accusations. I'm just baffled!

I could better understand if I had a whole file of different customers too - this was all just one customer, and my only repeat order hence the interest. I'll just expect to have to go back to my original ai files and manually go and remeasure everything and rebuild the files again. I was only trying to save myself some time.

As far as the guy criticizing my art - obviously you have no familiarity with Andy Warhol and Pop Art in general. Yes, in this case the point is that you do start out with something borrowed, something recognizable, etc. It's a style that a lot of people like, follow, and make, but agreed, it's not for everyone. More often it is screen printed. I do it with vinyl and just though some people might be interested in seeing something else that can be done with cut vinyl. Do some research if you don't believe me. There are a lot of artists doing similar things.

That all said I'll say thanks for everything, for nothing, and for that was between.
DK

DecadentDesign

See, now this pulls at my heartstrings. :rolleyes:

Here ya are, looking for a way to do something possibly wrong... possibly okay....... and all the people who have contributed possibilities and then there are the naysayers...... and the only person you give any kudos to is the only person on here sticking up for your questionable methods of doing business. Why haven't you thanked those who have tried to help you ?? How fast one forgets his direction and focuses on something which seems to hit home a little too much.

Actions speak far more than words written after the fact.

What exactly is so questionable?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
All I will say is that some of you really do not know anything about Gerber *.PLT files or you talk in very general terms which will confuse others readers, maybe even your self.

I agree with you there Tony. Gerber PLT files cannot be opened using the HPGL PLT conversion provided with CorelDRAW. They are two distinctly different file types and the advice given previously is not correct.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I apologize if I haven't been a member very long, posted much, or offered credentials. How should I or could I prove my honesty to you? Apparently, if I try to point out that I didn't make up some huge cover story that, in itself, is proof of my alleged guilt. Can't really win then, can I? It seems like there's a lot of resentment being directed at me for, yes, some general assumption that I am some how guilty of a crime. So I apologize if that agitates me more than a little.

I can understand some people being hesitant to help, but maybe ask better questions so I can try and convince you that I didn't steal these files. I mean really, I can't imagine what I could do, other than maybe you can call the customer in question? (The phone number is in those files after all.) But would that be enough? Could I show you the receipts that I gave to the customer? The receipts for vinyl I purchased via the sign shop I was working, which have the owners signature on them? Would that be enough? This wasn't a case of me doing work for a customer through a another sign shop. This was not a case of me taking a customer to a sign shop I worked for. This WAS a case of me having an existing customer and I was looking for a place to run the vinyl. I walked into this shop and met the owner and he said I could use his equipment for trade and some side work initially. He shortly after hired me and our agreement was that I could do my own projects on my own time using his equipment and space and my materials and we could trade for labor, etc. That lasted for about 9 months and seemed to go South from there.

To fill you in on things a little more. I did, quite stupidly, work more or less as a contractor and I didn't get paid consistently, sometimes a little cash here and sometimes a decent check there. It was actually this project that bailed him out of being seriously in debt with me over the winter months as we worked out a trade of pay for digital vinyl (which I honestly would rather have ordered through signs365). But this trade got us caught up which was good for both of us at the time. Sadly he started getting behind again and started treating me like a subordinate, which, if I'm getting paid on a set schedule I can accept. However, if not, I won't be pushed around. So I finished the work I promised to do that final day, packed up my vinyl that I bought all on my own, and said goodbye.

I really don't know why this has to be so complicated. If you have trust issues why comment at all and why throw insults? If you might want to help but you are hesitant then tell me what you would like to know and I'll see if I can accommodate you. I swear I've seen similar posts on similar sites without any of the accusations. I'm just baffled!

I could better understand if I had a whole file of different customers too - this was all just one customer, and my only repeat order hence the interest. I'll just expect to have to go back to my original ai files and manually go and remeasure everything and rebuild the files again. I was only trying to save myself some time.

As far as the guy criticizing my art - obviously you have no familiarity with Andy Warhol and Pop Art in general. Yes, in this case the point is that you do start out with something borrowed, something recognizable, etc. It's a style that a lot of people like, follow, and make, but agreed, it's not for everyone. More often it is screen printed. I do it with vinyl and just though some people might be interested in seeing something else that can be done with cut vinyl. Do some research if you don't believe me. There are a lot of artists doing similar things.

That all said I'll say thanks for everything, for nothing, and for that was between.
DK

What exactly is so questionable?

It's still a very convoluted storyline.

Look, I'm trying to give you the benefit of the doubt and yet still not throw caution to the wind. He said this, he did that, he didn't do this, he everything............ how did this guy get along before without you ?? He had equipment you didn't have and most likely was running a business and was successful enough to lure you in for whatever agreement you had, but the fact still remains, I don't know a single business owner in the sign industry, mechanic garage, doctoring or selling Christmas trees that would do the things you claim this guy did for you. Most of it sounds illegal, also. Therefore, you were already taking part in something somewhat bad and stayed there until you didn't like it anymore and then you took your ball and went home. This also tells me, you're apt to be stretching things here, too. Again, I don't care what your reasons are..... good or bad for needing these files. No one should be treated the way you've been treated both by your ex-boss and most of the members here, if what you say is indeed the truth, but we'll never really know, huh ?? Most of us here have seen so many of these scenarios or lived it through someone else's description, that yours doesn't do a thing for getting any sympathy whatsoever. So let the drama on the doorstep and try to do things in a more professional manner.

No one here is going to judge you and throw you into the slammer and no one is gonna take your side except for some other loser. Be a man, stand up, explain yourself without all the gingerbread and perhaps someone will feel sorry for you and help you out. Otherwise, go out and buy what you need and get it done on your own.

To just join a place where you aren't known at all and expect people to believe this stoopid story is almost as bad as the storyline itself.

Good luck.:thumb:

DecadentDesign

Look, I'm trying to give you the benefit of the doubt and yet still not throw caution to the wind. He said this, he did that, he didn't do this, he everything............ how did this guy get along before without you ?? He had equipment you didn't have and most likely was running a business and was successful enough to lure you in for whatever agreement you had, but the fact still remains, I don't know a single business owner in the sign industry, mechanic garage, doctoring or selling Christmas trees that would do the things you claim this guy did for you. Most of it sounds illegal, also. Therefore, you were already taking part in something somewhat bad and stayed there until you didn't like it anymore and then you took your ball and went home. This also tells me, you're apt to be stretching things here, too. Again, I don't care what your reasons are..... good or bad for needing these files. No one should be treated the way you've been treated both by your ex-boss and most of the members here, if what you say is indeed the truth, but we'll never really know, huh ?? Most of us here have seen so many of these scenarios or lived it through someone else's description, that yours doesn't do a thing for getting any sympathy whatsoever. So let the drama on the doorstep and try to do things in a more professional manner.

No one here is going to judge you and throw you into the slammer and no one is gonna take your side except for some other loser. Be a man, stand up, explain yourself without all the gingerbread and perhaps someone will feel sorry for you and help you out. Otherwise, go out and buy what you need and get it done on your own.

To just join a place where you aren't known at all and expect people to believe this stoopid story is almost as bad as the storyline itself.

Good luck.:thumb:

Please explain what is illegal?

He was also in the printing business and according to him it is common for printers to work for one shop and do their own printing. Idk, but it seemed reasonable to me.

And should I explain myself? Or not? When I simply asked for some help I got accused of stealing, then when I tried to explain the situation, I'm told that it doesn't matter what I say and I'm likely lying. How should or could I explain myself without telling the truth? No gingerbread - you want to know what the situation is so I tried to make it clear but apparently that's too much.

And I would disagree with you in regard to anyone judging me because that has been a lot of what I'm getting here - judgement. As far as jail I''m not worried and have no clue what kinds of things you are all used to. I've stolen nothing and have receipts for everything. Frankly this is just really surreal. There seems to be something wrong with the logic here, talking in circles, but no matter, I don't see anyone helping so I'll just move on.

Actually thanks to those who tossed in some technical input. It took me a while to realize there are at least two different kinds of plt files??? Presumably the non-Gerber ones are some sort of Cad file if I understand correctly and that's what most of the programs seem to be able to open. I don't have Corel or other sign software. Only a version of Flexi and the Adobe Suite is all. Anyway, thanks again to all who just tossed out ideas or possible solutions!

Thanks anyway,
David

DecadentDesign

besides the obvious composer software flexi-sign 8,....signlab 7,...will import the gerber plot format and save and or export the aforementioned files into a usable format,...

on another note,....not pointing fingers here but there are some very insecure people here who tend to see the worst in alot of situations and voice their opinions in a negative judgmental way,....accusing folks of being guilty of things they are not,... before any explanations have had a chance to be given,...takes me back to the days when those same type insecure sign people would complain that the local hardware would sell brushes and paint to anyone and the chance snapper going thru town was gonna steal food off their table because they held the attitude they "owned" all the local trade

Missed this post, thanks for the observation. I'm definitely missing something and this sounds about right!