• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

help, coroplast

SF500

Hey guys just a quick question having problems to decide either to get 2mm 4mm or 8 mm coroplast its for a sign next to a highway lots of wind I was thinking 4mm should be good can you guys help me out please. Also can you tell me a good place to buy coroplast online thank you again.

Jillbeans

Coroplast seems rather wimpy for a permanent sign.
Or are you talking about an 18"x24" step stake signs?
Love...Jill

chester215

Just call me Chester.
I have used both for temporary real estate signs. You can use the 4mm if you back it up with plywood or something similar. For 4x4 temp signs I do use the 8mm unbacked on 2 posts but it doesn't last more than a year at the most..

SF500

hey guys its for a car company they have 2 big metal poles and the sign is 42x95 in inches. plus behind the coroplast there will be 2 metal poles in the middle, so it wont budge

Gino

Premium Subscriber
hey guys its for a car company they have 2 big metal poles and the sign is 42x95 in inches. plus behind the coroplast there will be 2 metal poles in the middle, so it wont budge

So, does that mean there are four poles for this sign ??

I'd use either MDO or aluminum composite. Permanent signs are considered permanent if they last 5 years or more..... not 12 months or 18 if you're lucky.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
ya basically its a big letter H, and the coroplast will go right in the middle

You're not understanding.

Cor-X is not a long term outdoor substrate. It's meant for short term outdoor use. When outside in the weather, it slowly deteriorates and almost turns into a paper like substance. It doesn't rot, it just withers away.

Yes, you will find some lasts longer than others, even in thicker specs, but it's still considered by the industry and... even the manufacturers, as a short term outdoor product .

Dakotagrafx

After 5 years of learning I consider myself a novice and come here to learn from the experienced people, with that said I cannot imagine buying a 64" eco sol printer, laminator and plotter without first learning the basics of signmaking (3 years before i bought my first one and then I was very very green). I have spent the past 5 years learning, reading, practicing before leaving my main employment 7 months ago. I am curious what experience and training you sought before jumping into this business?

To the forum regulars I bow in respect of your knowledge and talent and appreciate your shared knowledge! :notworthy:

TammieH

even 10 mil Coroplast will fail (crack) in time, especially in your application...extreme temps and wind will age Coroplast faster than you think

legacyborn

After 5 years of learning I consider myself a novice and come here to learn from the experienced people, with that said I cannot imagine buying a 64" eco sol printer, laminator and plotter without first learning the basics of signmaking (3 years before i bought my first one and then I was very very green). I have spent the past 5 years learning, reading, practicing before leaving my main employment 7 months ago. I am curious what experience and training you sought before jumping into this business?

To the forum regulars I bow in respect of your knowledge and talent and appreciate your shared knowledge! :notworthy:

:goodpost:

:notworthy: I too bow to the forum of knowledge

SF500

lol i understand what you guys are saying but its not me its the person im dealing with, he wants the coroplast. i offered other better methods but its what he wants not me lol, but thank you for the advice and time you guys spent on this :) i really appreciate the help.

DizzyMarkus

its not me its the person im dealing with, he wants the coroplast

Sorry but I believe its your job as a sign shop to educate him on the differences between the two substrates, the longevity of the product, and finally refuse to do such a silly thing :0) -- How much can be made on a 4x8 Coro sign with doing it this way :0)[SIZE=-3][/SIZE]

Have a great weekend,
Markus

Pat Whatley

If he wants coro give him the price for coro....then tell him that 3mm aluminum composite will last 10 times longer and only costs $20 more than 10mm coro.