• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

help, coroplast

chester215

Just call me Chester.
Some of our customers purchase their own commercial real estate signs and have us install them.
This one insists on using corplast because it is so cheap and they buy 100 at a time.
(and we throw out most of them when the listings expire and the signs come down)
These are pictures of a couple of them after a year or so in direct sunlight.
4mm white material with a plywood backing. 8mm or 10mm lasts a bit longer but in the end the same thing happens.

Attachments

• photo(2).jpg
    photo(2).jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 99
  • photo(3).jpg
    photo(3).jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 100

Gino

Premium Subscriber
lol i understand what you guys are saying but its not me its the person im dealing with, he wants the coroplast. i offered other better methods but its what he wants not me lol, but thank you for the advice and time you guys spent on this :) i really appreciate the help.

Evidently, with your little 'lol'.... you think this is funny.

All of us here have been trying to help you and you laugh at us ??

This is the kinda crap that professionals have to put up with because of people like you. You have no back bone and don't know your *ss from a hole in the ground and wanna pretend you're in the sign business. Then, you lead the customer to believe he can have stoopid products. Then, you come here looking for answers to stoopid problems. Then, you get all upset when people try to help you. Then, you have a hissy fit because we turn on you. Then, the thread goes down in flames. Then, everyone's mad at each other for either being mean, non-understanding, misinformed or just plain stoopid.

There's nothing wrong standing up yo your customer and explaining right from wrong and that's just what you have to do..... grow some and educate your customer.​

If he wants coro give him the price for coro....then tell him that 3mm aluminum composite will last 10 times longer and only costs $20 more than 10mm coro.

Good post.

The one thing that I didn't understand when I first got involved in this business, and that I believe others don't quite grasp is materials and pricing. The customer is paying for your labor. What materials you use makes very little difference in the price of the finished product. You will learn that you shouldn't price coroplast signs much lower than an aluminum composite sign because it still takes the same amount of labor to produce and the difference in price of the substrate is minimal when it's all said and done.

With that being said, you also shouldn't offer products that are inferior thinking that you're giving your customer a great deal. The real great deal is when you offer the customer the very best product that is recommended for the specific project and their sign lasts a long time. They then become a return customer. On the contrary, that cheap sign lasts 6 months and the customer goes somewhere else next time because the product failed miserably and he figures the next guy can possibly do better than you. He may even tell others not to go to you. In the long run, that sign that cost a mere $50 more to produce will bring your more business than the sign that failed. As a sign maker you should make a point to learn by researching and always try to offer the best product for the intended purpose to the customer.

Tom Dalton

Anything long term would be a mistake, but did he ever say it wasn't a temporary sign? Maybe it is for a 3 or 4 week promotion. The gas stations around here use coro wire tied to their chain-link fences and attached to all sorts of structures using all sorts of methods.

Tom
SignsDirect.com

Esdale

Good post.

The one thing that I didn't understand when I first got involved in this business, and that I believe others don't quite grasp is materials and pricing. The customer is paying for your labor. What materials you use makes very little difference in the price of the finished product. You will learn that you shouldn't price coroplast signs much lower than an aluminum composite sign because it still takes the same amount of labor to produce and the difference in price of the substrate is minimal when it's all said and done.

With that being said, you also shouldn't offer products that are inferior thinking that you're giving your customer a great deal. The real great deal is when you offer the customer the very best product that is recommended for the specific project and their sign lasts a long time. They then become a return customer. On the contrary, that cheap sign lasts 6 months and the customer goes somewhere else next time because the product failed miserably and he figures the next guy can possibly do better than you. He may even tell others not to go to you. In the long run, that sign that cost a mere $50 more to produce will bring your more business than the sign that failed. As a sign maker you should make a point to learn by researching and always try to offer the best product for the intended purpose to the customer.

:goodpost:can't put it in words much better than that

SF500

Thank you once again for your patience and time to read and answer my post like I have stated on top I have tried convincing the customr more then 1 on this matter so that' why I posted this thread asking you guys what is a better thickness for coroplast. I'm not going to argue with the cstomer if that is what he wants even though I explained to him time and time again that ist my choice I have done my job by telling him many times its not a good solution. Thank you agan for the insults lol but all I wanted to know as what do you guys think of the thicness of coroplast.I shouldn't be getting a song and dance on how I run my company. Thank you for your patience and time evryone for readng this post :). Also for people that got insulted for my lol wasn't trying to inuslt anyone so please do not put words in my mouth thank you.

royster13

When I go to my "professional" mechanic and do not want to buy the right parts for the job he tells me to "get lost"....Why would a "professional" sign person not do the same thing?.....

anotherdog

If he wants coro give him the price for coro....then tell him that 3mm aluminum composite will last 10 times longer and only costs $20 more than 10mm coro.

:goodpost:
Aluminum composite is also easier to mount and is far stronger. I have just talked one of my customers into doing a store sign in composite rather than save money on 10mm coro. No matter how much you warn, if the sign looks like crap in 3 years they will point at you.

Composite literally costs only $20 a sheet more than 10mm Coro, cuts easily and looks great.

TheSnowman

I can buy a 4' X 8' of 10MM Cor-X for $32, or a sheet of ACP Aluminum for $48. It'd be stupid to make a "Permanent" sign out of garbage over $16 my cost.