• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HELP!!! Cutter seems to have a mind of its own.

raw191

I'll brace myself for the barrage of emails saying that my cutter is crap. I have a Master XY-540P cutter and am running flexi 7.6. Lately, it seems to have a glitch now and then. It will be cutting fine, then head off to the origin, come back to where it was and continue cutting just fine. The cutter has given me no problems for the last year I've had it. I ran it with my desktop, through a serial port, and it workes fine. However, when I switched over to my laptop, it's developed this problem. Is it a cutter driver problem? Baud rate? etc.? I'm just starting out and this cutter is the best I could pay cash for. Any ideas?

raw191

OldPaint

I have a Master XY-540P cutter ..........sorry but thats youre biggest problem...............from my years of hearin complaints on these knockoff cutters....its the COMPUTER BOARDS INSIDE THEM....try to get a replacement.....or you either want to stay in the biz....get a real plotter.

raw191

Why with the laptop and not the desktop though? Even though these cutters get a really bad rap, they're not that bad. It has made me a ton of money. And paid for itself over and over. It only does this really annoying thing with the laptop and usb serial cable but not with the desktop and direct serial port.

Pro Image

Its more that likely the usb to serial software problem.........If don't have one you need to buy a Belkin model.........those cheep ones off of ebay aren't worth it and don't work very well................Ask me how I know.........lol

hjlanda22

I used to have one of these plotter when I firts started I fixed the problem I remember it being in your settings that are on your computer its not the actual plotter.

2 things

1.) go to your device manager (if windows xp right clicck my computer from the start menu control it will be the hardware tab) Click device manager. Find Ports (com & lpt) find where your device is hooked up to (I will use the example Com1) right click it and go to properties, click the tab that says port settings settings should read as follows:

Bits Per Second 9600
Data Bits 8
parity none
FLOW CONTROL HARDWARE (if it does not say hardware change it so that it does)

Then Click Advanced - Uncheck the box that says USE FIFO BUFFERS

Now we are done here press ok to close everything out

Now the second step is if you use flexi sign if not thats as far as I can help And I hope it works for you. Let me know if it does.

2. In production Manager go to Defult Job Properties for the plotter you are using click on the little knife tab (picture of knife blade) make sure your knife offset is 0.012 AND SWITCH YOUR CURVE QUILITY TO LOW this will not affect your jobs it will allow the computer to communicate with the plotter faster.

If I remember correctly this is what did it for me hope it helps best way to test it after you have done it is to do a whole bunch of small little letters and if it does not go crazy on you then IT WORKED!

stip

I had the same problem with my laptop. It turned out to be the firewall on my laptop. Try turning off your firewall, it's worth a shot.

OldPaint

Even though these cutters get a really bad rap, they're not that bad. It has made me a ton of money. And paid for itself over and over.
if the above statement is true....THEN YOU SHOULD JUST GET A REAL PLOTTER...so you can make more money without these problems...................duh............

raw191

I have a real plotter. It works fine. It's a communication issue. If you look at the forums, there are just as many issues with any of the other plotters. That's why they have their own forum headings. . . duh.

iSign

To upgrade a a plotter that's paid for itself over and over... but is performing below standards today is not a personal jab, it is experienced advice.

The professional machines have their own forums because this is a professional community & these are the manufacturers this forum anticipated a greater need for discussion on, based on the percentage of professionals that use, & need to discuss professional equipment...
...not simply because they have "just as many issues" as you say.

USB to Serial adapters have produced problems for plotters for years. I've never needed to run through an adapter myself, but I've read about this issue & recall that there are "high speed communication" ones... and there are regular ones used by PDA's.

The resolution of problems I had read about were to get the high speed communication ones by Belkin

player

Also check to see you have the latest drive for your Belkin converter. I had some trouble hooking up my Wacom with one and I found a newer drive and it now works.

P

raw191

is the belkin adapter you all are talking about the one for the PDA's? Anybody using one of these with Vista?

Techman

its the COMPUTER BOARDS INSIDE THEM

Yes, thats true. If they are sensitive to static these days then something is severely lacking..

And that is why so many of us bash these machines. It seems like help posts for cutters always include these type of cutters..