• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

help for clear cling

canon

I'm working on a clear static cling project and have two problems that I can't figure out how to solve.
#1 This needs to be in mirror image to be placed on the inside. I'd like a solid white backround on the side that doesn't touch the glass. Can I do that?
#2 I have an oval in the design which I made with a thick outline. I have some words that need to block out parts of the oval outline. I used a clear shape behind the words to block out the oval but it left a clear shape on the cling. I don't know if this makes sense.
It would help if I knew how to turn an outline into a vector shape so I can cut pieces of it out.
This whole reverse thing has gotten me totally confused.:help
Thanks!

petepaz

haven't done this in a while
fred is the master with the gerber
i would bet he can help you with this
but there is a way to put a white flood on top of the print
i think after you send the job to print from the print window
there is a button to mirror the image (for inside window decal)
and if you goto one of the drop down menus go to print options
then there is a selection for backing/finishing and that is where
you can adjust the white
backer

D

Digitall

Sounds like a white static cling could of worked better for your need, IMO

J Hill Designs

white static cling wouldnt work for interior/see through the glass type graphic

I would design it in omega mirrored then put a white oval or whatever over the whole thing set to overprint.

D

Digitall

white static cling wouldnt work for interior/see through the glass type graphic

I would design it in omega mirrored then put a white oval or whatever over the whole thing set to overprint.

Stand corrected on interior :Oops:

fatdogvw

I use to do these all the time on a flatbed printer that prints white as the fifth color. If your printer doesn't print white. Make a overlay out of white vinyl or create a template and paint over areas that need to be white. Mirror image in your rip or flop in your image program.

petepaz

yeah that is the other thing you can do
print the labels then laminate white vinyl to the back just don't cover your cross hair so you can still line it up in the printer

canon

I'm using Omega. I think it's very confusing. My book is worn from always searching for answers. This is one I can't find in the book.

canon

Sounds like I should have figured that out.
We're almost there. Now the flood coat white backing just covers the printed area of the decal. I need it to extend all the way to the cutline. Got this trick up your sleeve?

J Hill Designs

make an overprint shape of white, dont use the finishing part in gsplot

make it bleed past the cut line also, so misregistration isnt as much of an issue

nbarrett

If you are printing them on clear static cling then you can do it as described below.

Print on the clear static cling in reverse and then "laminate" the the front of the static cling with white adhesive vinyl. Then when you peal the backing off of the static cling the adhesive is on the side to stick to the inside of the glass and the white on the back give you a good background.

Did this about 8 months ago for about 100 no concealed to carry signs here on campus. Let me know if you have any more questions.

smdgrfx

In the backing/finish option, select job area as "applies to" area. It will flood coat everything. There is also an option that says "Backing White Coat" that you can use.

canon

Well, I just have one more problem to solve. On this project I'm using a thick stroke as part of the design. Part of it is blanked out to add text. In Omega how can I turn that stroke into a vector graphic so I can cut part of it off. Before I did it with a clear shape laid over it, but now the white overprint leaves a clear spot.
Can you smart guys answer this one?

J Hill Designs

instead of stroking the path (heh) do a contour offset (tools => outline) in either direction (+.10"/-.10") and remove original - combine those two, then trim the "text" part

hope that came across right...

canon

THANK YOU ALL! This is my first time here and I'm impressed.
You've all been so helpful. There is no one around here that knows about the Edge. I've been pulling my hair out all alone. I totally appreciate your willingness to help. I may just break out in song...

J Hill Designs

there once was a forum on the net
alot of people willing to help, you can bet
when im in a pickle,
I watch the thread trickle,
and now with the job I'm all set.

petepaz

this has been a test of the emergency Gerber printing network
had this been an actual emergency you would have been informed
to go to the nearest bar and start drinking large quantities of beer
to ease the stress and put it on canon's tab