• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help in bringing hp 9000s back to life!

ebox86

Hi i am the proud new owner of a used hp designjet 9000 system that i recently purchased at an auction for $2000. At first glance the printer looked used, and looked as if it had been stored in a warehouse, but the previous owner did not have much info about it as he was merely selling it.

As it turns out, the printer had been warehoused since August of 2009, and the ink system was not flushed prior to storage so the ink that has been in the machine has hardened in the lines. As for the heads, they have also not been cleaned since it was warehoused and i am assuming they will require cleaning if not replacing.

I am trying to get the system running again. Any help from current and previous 9000 owners is greatly appreciated.

I am also trying to figure out why there was tape on the media sensors. So now that i removed the tape, and try to load media into the machine, the machine keeps saying 'no media loaded load media'

So what i am looking for is all the different part numbers for all the different tubing assemblies that are in the printer as i will need to replace them all.

And just any advice that could help me get this thing printing again would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Wow your about to spend alot of money thats for sure. Put the tape back over the media sensor and that will fix that. My advice is: Try to sell it for $3k and use the money as a down payment on a new machine.

Rooster

You need new heads, pump, ink lines, dampers, and probably a capping station. I'm not sure what's going on with your media sensor. It being taped off may indicate there was an issue with it at some point.

Given the cost of parts and the value of the machine on the used market you may want to take Big Fish's advice. Either that or see if anybody is offering a "trade in your old printer" deal that will compensate you for the money spent already.

Buying a used printer without knowing it's history and whether or not it was taken out of service properly is a very risky proposition.

eye4clr

it will in deed cost you more than it's worth (in working condition) to fix it up. Then you're still working with a sketchy old printer that has lots of new parts in it.

The advice to use it as a trade in is excellent advice.

J Hill Designs

I got a used oce cs6060 at auctio for less than half that - ink plugged through all pump lines, etc sounds like the same thing - I just took off all plugged lines, worked the ink plugs out with generous amount of cleaning fluid, put it all back together and it works like a charm - even brought all heads back to life...you can do it....the only thing it cost me was new ink carts - $1500 for the carts, $800 for the printer, and i have a fully functional full-siolvent 64" printer

ebox86

so do you think the cleaning fluid will take care of some of the ink in the lines or did you not have that much ink in the lines

I might have to take the advice of the first 4 or so posts and just sell it, but i can't help but think that i can bring it back to life

Any more encouraging advice from others who have brought printers back from the dead would be appreciated.

Thanks

C

ColoPrinthead

I worked with a 10,000 recently, and yeah you probably need new heads, tubes, capping station. I seriously doubt all the acetone in your state will save the heads.

Let's calculate:
Print heads cleaning: $100x6=$600
New pump tubing (for all 12 pumps): $250
New dampers: $35 x 6 = $210
6 cartridges with solvent, to flush the ink system: $60 x 6 = $360
6 cartridges with ink: $125 x 6 = $750
One syringe: $1
Total bill: $2171. Plus maybe 10 hours of your time.
We can supply all components and will give you a free tech support over the phone.

You can start with print head recovery. Ship your print heads to us and we'll clean them at a promotional rate of $100 per head. You pay only if the head is fully recovered. If we can't recover them, you don't pay. If all 6 heads are recovered, then you can go ahead and buy the rest of the parts.

The ink lines from the sub-tanks to the dampers are not easy to clog. They are made of Teflon which has a low permeability, meaning that the solvent will evaporate through the walls very slowly. You can flush those lines with solvent.
All pump tubing in 6 ink pumps and 6 capping station pumps is clogged with crystals of dried ink. That tubing allows a very quick solvent evaporation, so the ink will crystallize in a matter of days if ink isn't moving. But that tubing is very easy to change.

Call us for any additional information: 905-820-8833
www.solventcartridges.com
ask for Vladimir

MachServTech

Let's calculate:
Print heads cleaning: $100x6=$600
New pump tubing (for all 12 pumps): $250
New dampers: $35 x 6 = $210
6 cartridges with solvent, to flush the ink system: $60 x 6 = $360
6 cartridges with ink: $125 x 6 = $750
One syringe: $1
Total bill: $2171. Plus maybe 10 hours of your time.

Thats how I do it as well. I have refurbished quite a few HP9000 and HP10000.

The only thing I wold add is an ultrasonic cleaning metal jewlery basin for about $70. This is a good way to recover heads. Also Acetone works well to recover the printheads and is cheaper than other solvents. It is also likely that you will have to replace at least one or two o-rings somewhere in the system.

SolventCartridges has given you a very reasonable quote (better prices than mine) and very good advice.

J Hill Designs

so do you think the cleaning fluid will take care of some of the ink in the lines or did you not have that much ink in the lines

I might have to take the advice of the first 4 or so posts and just sell it, but i can't help but think that i can bring it back to life

Any more encouraging advice from others who have brought printers back from the dead would be appreciated.

Thanks

They were plugged SOLID - all 12 pump lines

benjercorp

use cellulose thinner to clean the heads !!! use it for just 10 minutes and then run solvent .... you will see the difference...

tbaker

depending on how tech savvy you are, the job could be a daunting task. Personally I've brought back a 64s, several 9000s, and a 100s. There's nothing to say it CAN'T be done, it just will NOT be easy, and it most certainly will be a dirty job. Certain tubing WILL be bad, ( from the subtank pumps is a prime example), some tubes will most likely be fine ( the main ink lines). Priming assemblies will most likely need to be replaced, caps... it depends, but it's better to be safe then sorry honestly. Head recovery at $100 per is a good price, especially considering the alternative. Good luck!

farazshamsi

Hi guys. I have the same problem. Have a HP9000s machine which is shut for 10 months. Should I remove the heads and pass through acetone or cellulose thinner as suggested. Also should i remove the tubes to pass the cleaning fluid. SAM ink is suggesting i should run their flush ink cartridges. The problem is that I am here in Karachi, Pakistan and we don't have an engineer, so anything and everything has to be done by me. Any suggestions ...........Also jhilldesign, what do you mean by cleaning fluid.

J Hill Designs

solvent cleaning fluid you get for the machine...if you have the cleaning carts, just bust one open...alot cheaper than the 50ml bottles you have to buy

farazshamsi

with machine, i have a wiper cleaning fluid and a cap cleaning fluid. which should i use in the tubes to try clear the clogged ink. Also should i remove the heads and which fluid should i use to clear the heads.

Typestries

I like this thread. From experience doing just the same thing, the only way you will know the real cost is to tear at it and start working it. Very minimum you should expect to replace the pump tubes-$35 ea, easy to do and the primers-again, $30 something each. The rest you can probably clean with a syringe, solvent, and a lot of patience. Take lines apart and syringe flush one section at a time.

If the heads are dry on the bottoms and wet on the tops (eg at ink tubes) you can probably recover them w a solvent soak and ultrasonic cleaner. If the tubes are dried up, they're pretty much toast.

I have a full machine I am parting out if anyone needs parts-give an email or call.

thx
Rick

thatswasup

service manual for 9000s

i have a 9000s and when it works they work great. they arent the most reliable machines like a mutoh or something but they are very high quality also. i have a service manual if that would help you out. i believe it has all the part numbers and everything. pm me if you want it and ill hook you up with a link for you to download it.

thanks.

Quix

Hello to all.
Does anyone know the tubing specification for the prime pumps?
I notice they have a thinner wall than the others (and are more flexible). In another forum someone suggested "Tygon" hoses (watching their datasheet - Tygon 2075 seems optimal), buy where I live I can only buy it by rolls (50 ft), and it is VERY expensive.
And here, HP only offers the complete pumps, not only the hose.
I hope someone can recommend me a better option.
Thank you in advance.