• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HELP! Mimaki JV3 Printing FULL YELLOW Background

GettysburgSigns

[h=2]I posted this in Digital Print, but I NEED HELP NOW.
HELP! Mimaki JV3 Printing FULL YELLOW Background[/h]
My Mimaki JV3 is printing a FULL background of Yellow, no matter what is sent to print.
Even during a "Print Test", it prints a FULL BAND of Yellow - As soon as it begins ANY Printing!

The Print Head begins to Print Yellow across the entire length of Vinyl, but it even Prints across the Metal "Vinyl Hold-Down" thing.

Of COURSE, I have a RUSH JOB due by end of day - 100 - 6" x 24" prints!!!!

Please help!
Call Gettysburg Signs at 717-334-0200 if you think you know what it is!​

GettysburgSigns

I Switched Over the Yellow and the Cyan Ribbon Cables at the Slider, and that causes the Cyan to Print the way the Yellow was.

But wouldn't that indicate it's just be the Signal getting to the Yellow Ribbons that's defective somehow... Yes?

Still Looking for any extra Ribbon Cables hanging around!!!

J Hill Designs

first suspect would be the cable, if not follow that back from head - happy to know its not the head, but hope its not the board behind it!

GettysburgSigns

If it was the Cable, then the Yellow would have still printed Weird from the Cyan Connector on the Slider Board.
Since the CYAN printed bad - from the Yellow Connector on the Slider Board - then the SIGNAL from the Yellow Connector is bad, not the Ribbon Cable.

So it looks like I'm Screwed.
I just had the Main Board Repaired about 6 weeks ago, and sent the Slider Board with it.
But there was nothing wrong with the Slider at the time.

I just checked the Large Ribbon Cables from the Main Board at the Slider Board, and they are all set correctly, but who know what else could be happening.

Any simple tests?

GettysburgSigns

PrintTestPattern_06172014.jpg
HERE is the Latest in this Saga:
Last Wednesday, I sent the Main Board and the Slider Board out to be "Repaired".
Got it back yesterday, and Installed it today...

As you can see from the Photo Above, the Mimaki JV3 Printer is STILL Printing Yellow Full-Out, no matter what.
This is a TEST PRINT (ignore the black not printing)
NO Input/Output coming from the RasterLink - just Straight from the JV3 menu "Print Test".
Anything? Anyone??? Please!

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
When they tested the slider board they may have not found anything wrong electronically but the connector for the cable could still be bad. Take a very close look at the terminal where the head cable plugs into. Is one or a few of the metal leads raised up slightly? If it is, it can cause this issue.

GettysburgSigns

I'm going nuts.

I've checked every ribbon cable and connection with a very powerful magnifying glass.
I even did a continuity check on EACH cable, and made sure there were no "crossovers" from one contact to another - Large Cables and Slider Cables.

The YELLOW Ink is STILL Printing across the Media ALL the TIME - it prints FULL color yellow as soon as the Print Heads begin to move.
It is NOT the Head, it is NOT the cables - When I switch the Ribbon Cables from the Slider Board (Yellow to Cyan), then the CYAN will print full out, just as the Yellow did.
I have had the Main Board and Slider Board checked out (by a Recommended/Reputable Dealer) and they could not figure out why this is happening, and I just re-sent the boards for them to re-check.

Is there anyone you know of that can remedy this?
Have you ever HEARD of THIS Particular Issue?

GettysburgSigns

By the Way...
Even though my "byline" here indicates "Preppie", I am a Preppie with 38 years of Experience in the sign industry - and I've had this Mimaki since 2006, so I've known it pretty well, and STILL love it, regardless. ;)

J Hill Designs

ok maybe try:

a)switch cyan & yellow cables that come FROM main board - switch them AT slider board
then
b)same thing, but switch at the main board side

GettysburgSigns

J Hill,
Thanks, I'll try that when this Main Board and Slider Board come back - and if it does the same thing.
I'm HOPING that it is just something they missed first time around?
Of course, this will be about 2 weeks without the printer when the stuff comes back!

stickerjoe

I'm having the same problem just got my main & slider boards back re-installed still having the same problem as before, mine is on the black

GettysburgSigns

After having the Main Board Repaired, and my Slider Board returned...
The printer continued to print Full-Out Yellow!!!
BUT...
The company sent along a "Loaner Slider Board, just in case", an lo and behold THAT FIXED IT!
Prints perfectly now.

Thanks for all of your suggestions.
Now you have one more weapon to place in your troubleshooting arsenals.

GettysburgSigns

Stickerjoe,
Check your email.

I really wanted to mention their name because I think they did a great job, and were very dedicated and thorough.
But at the same time, I feel like I made it sound as if it was their fault that I had to resend the boards.
I definitely don't believe it was their fault - or mine.
It is what it is, complex electronics doing bizarre things.

AND, there was NO DELAY on their part.
No matter WHAT the issue is, allow time for Delivery, to and from each location; time for them to do their work; time for you to replace the parts; time to test your machine; and time to replace the hair you've pulled out!
And NEVER EVER Plan a Breakdown for a Thursday Afternoon or Friday, because we are all at the mercy of delivery services (as fast as they may be, "Next Day" can be a lifetime if you send it on Friday!) >:O

So, after thinking it over, I WILL mention their name after all, because they deserve the credit...
www.macmedia.com (I think I read about them on this forum).
Most contact is through Email.
But you may not want to tell Kent I sent you - he may have flashbacks! ;)

stickerjoe

That's who I sent my boards to I'm still have the same problem and now when the printer goes into sleep cleaning it stays on, told Kent in a email still the same plus the new issues with no response at all so his warranty is BS, and I called Jemmings.com left my number last week, needless to say no return call. I'm not to happy with the outcome 2 1/2 weeks with no print not good for me or the print heads :banghead:
Now I'm look for a slider board