• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help needed to figure a price...

Patentagosse

Another shop of my neighborhood just called to offer me an installation job.

Box truck, no rivets, 26ft long, full wrapped sides printed on Oracal 3651GRA+210G, one strip (panel) on roll-door between bolt.

Only downside: it has to be done on Easter weekend. New truck will be delivered on Friday morning so the time to drive down here, wash it, dry it... I figure like 5 hours on Saturday. I estimate the sq.ft around 469.

'Want to be fair with this guy in case he would send more but don't wanna do it cheap to regret it after... 'Never done installs for others so I'm like walking eyes closed. Any help will be appreciated.

What do you think? Cleaning the vehicle + installation...

What do installers charge per sq.ft usually?

I wrote down $1/sq.ft on a Post-It for the moment but looking for inputs.

(rural spot, Eastern Canada)

Thanks

Patentagosse

Really?:omg2:

So I was leaving money on the table with my $1.00 but I don't think I'll get the job at $2.00. He will never give me around $950 for like 6 hours.

* do you really collect over $1000 just for installs? That's good money, I should re-consider my job as owner and work for you!

Thanks for the input.

MikePro

if you're assuming it will only take 6hrs... then why not charge him your shop rate x6?

psf pricing is just for ball-parking. if you're bidding this, then sharpen your pencil.
....buuuut, If I had to spend my entire saturday in the shop, I'd better be making more than $400 for my company and my overtime.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I come up with more like 414 sq ft, but you're doing this over a holiday weekend.

Charging for something's worth is what you have going here. We get over $550 to de-vinyl a cop cruiser in about 3 hours.

I'd rather be decorating something....... anything, then removing old crap. :covereyes:

Patentagosse

Shop's rate: $65/hour
Estimated time: 6 hours
Total: $390

I have no employee so by the time I'll be doing it, nothing else will move in the shop (designs, installs, papers...)

$390 sounded cheap to me, working on weekend... Easter weekend...

HulkSmash

If it's an regular gig $1.50 a sqft is fine.
for a 1 time install $2.00 a sqft is minimum here.

If you're installing by yourself it's going to take more then 6 hrs, do the fact it's the wrong vinyl being installed on the truck, and you're going to want to punch a few puppies a few hours into the installation.

good luck.

Circleville Signs

Yup. At $1/sf you are destroying yourself and the rest of the install market. That type of a job I would be at $1.50/sf - ONLY if the truck was prepped and ready to go. Otherwise it would be $1.50/sf + $65/hour for removal and cleaning.

If I had to strip/clean/prep this would be close to a $1000 job. How long it takes is TOTALLY IRRELEVANT.

Patentagosse

The last thing I want is to be a low baller, cutting throats or a cheap labor guy. I think I'll decline just to avoid being insulted after saying anything over $500 (he probably expects below anyway)...

I think my time is done in vehicle graphics, my prices are from the '90 and that's why I cannot make a good living out of this. Maybe I should consider working for others (who knows... my 24 years of experience may worth more than I expect...)

Circleville Signs

The last thing I want is to be a low baller, cutting throats or a cheap labor guy. I think I'll decline just to avoid being insulted after saying anything over $500 (he probably expects below anyway)...

I think my time is done in vehicle graphics, my prices are from the '90 and that's why I cannot make a good living out of this. Maybe I should consider working for others (who knows... my 24 years of experience may worth more than I expect...)

Why do you assume that he expects below $500? If he has done any shopping around for installation AT ALL, then he has seen probably 90% of quotes above that.

Additionally, does he want professional work that will look good? Don't sell yourself short. If you have 24 years of experience, and have a good track record of wrap installs, then quoting $1/sf is lunacy.

Why would you simply decline? Just give him a quote and see what happens.

jfiscus

Rap Master
$1000 seems reasonable for a box truck wrap of this size on a regular day. If it is on a weekend, a holiday weekend; he probably expects to pay much more (or AT LEAST that) for the install. I think he is using the wrong materials also, but YMMV. If they aren't charging more than that to the customer (who knows it HAS to be installed on a holiday weekend), then they have a pricing problem on THEIR end to work out.

SlightlyChilled

So you are going to drive to the place,wash it and install for $1sq foot... How are you getting to the top of the truck? ladder,loading dock,forklift,cherrypicker?

I would rethink that. 1000.00 would be a better place to be

HulkSmash

wow...
dude $2 a sqft isn't so far fetched. Trust me, i do installs for other shops and massive organizations every day, and they're much more stingy then your current customer is, trust me.

SignManiac

Typical sign problem that's destroying the industry. Fear of rejection. If you don't ask for it, you won't get it. Stop assuming what he will pay. Who cares, charge a realistic price that makes it worth you while to be in business. If he can't afford you then no big deal. Move on to the next client. If you want to work for chump change then go fishing instead.

Patentagosse

No, here at my shop, the other shop is supplying the helper (but what kinda helper he is, 'don't know... limited experience as he can do it himself...)

I have nice working plateform approx. 20ft long, adjustable in height. 'Work fine.

Attachments

• JoeScaffold_1.JPG
    JoeScaffold_1.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 70
  • JoeScaffold_2.jpg
    JoeScaffold_2.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 74
  • JoeScaffold_3.jpg
    JoeScaffold_3.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 59
  • JoeScaffold_4.jpg
    JoeScaffold_4.jpg