• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help pricing sign..

icex

2x3 metal sign, front and back. We went to pick up a old sign and we have to remove the vinyl off both sides (all die cut, all 2' x 3'). We then have to clean the sign and repaint it.

I know roughly what to charge for making the sign, but not sure on the labor of removal/painting/etc.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

2B

whatever you shop rate is, there is no way to know how long it will take for removal.
The only way to price this is by the hour

Craig Sjoquist

For that size, unless it is something special about that you must use it, ... start with a new .. why bother removing old vinyl remove vinyl when nothing to do save for a cheapo sign or ya own... Removal can be easy or a real bear even with the right equipment.

When bidding I include material to avoid just this sorta thing or they bring in plywood & to make sure of extra profit.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
For that size, unless it is something special about that you must use it, ... start with a new .. why bother removing old vinyl remove vinyl when nothing to do save for a cheapo sign or ya own... Removal can be easy or a real bear even with the right equipment.

When bidding I include material to avoid just this sorta thing or they bring in plywood & to make sure of extra profit.

This 1,000% :thumb:

Billct2

Do what I see all the new cheaps**t sign shops around here doing, slap a digital print right over the face without removing anything

OldPaint

i know you want the job.....as STATED... so here your way of handling it.
1. REMOVAL OF OLD VINYL.......charge as much as you would to APPLY IT!!!!!!
2. SANDING PRIMING, PAINTING both sides........ see what the local body shop would charge to sand,prime paint a SET OF TRUCK DOOR!!!!!! any body shop is gona get $150-200!!!!!
3. RECUT AND APPLY NEW VINYL........like i said in an earlier post...ANYTHING LESS THE $5 SQ FT IS STUPID!!!!
not worth doing. $5 SQ FT............2 X 3=6 X 2 =12 SQFT. $5 A SQ FT....JUST FOR THE VINYL INSTALL....=$60.....+ THE REMOVAL PRICE............$120.00 now whata gona charge for the REPAINT????

4. so now your gona do it for less ANYWAY.....

Z SIGNS

I dunno.

I'm doing a 2x3 right now for $3,500 but it's probably a different kind of sign.

If it is a restoration I would want more because it is a specialty.
If you want to specialize in old sticker restorations (OSR) then charge the
standard osr rate.

I would suggest staying away from this kind of customer and this kind of thinking.

I just looked online.You can get a 2x3 delivered for $67.50

I'm curious what do others charge for OSR ?

icex

It's just a metal sign. Die cut vinyl lettering on it that has to be removed.
I dunno.

I'm doing a 2x3 right now for $3,500 but it's probably a different kind of sign.

If it is a restoration I would want more because it is a specialty.
If you want to specialize in old sticker restorations (OSR) then charge the
standard osr rate.

I would suggest staying away from this kind of customer and this kind of thinking.

I just looked online.You can get a 2x3 delivered for $67.50

I'm curious what do others charge for OSR ?

ExecuPrintGS

If its not a special shape or odd ball size we wouldnt re-use the board. Cost of a new board vs. labor costs to remove old vinyl it doesnt make sense. We sway our customers towards just getting a new board. :thumb:

Otherwise its a per hour cost @ shop rate and i tell them i will charge them for the time it takes, no more, no less.

Techman

How many times has anyone said. Here is the price. When they say "can we use the old board"? we say,, That is the old board price. Then make it on a new one anyway????

SignManiac

It's really not that difficult. Just come right out and say, I'll use your old stuff if you insist, but it's cheaper to start with new material. I sometimes add to clarify, the material is not the major factor in the cost of your sign, it's labor. Stripping off the old stuff cost more. Then they go, ah I see what you mean, and then they just say go ahead and use new stuff if it's cheaper that way.

Just be up front and tell them that's the way it works.

threeputt

It's really not that difficult. Just come right out and say, I'll use your old stuff if you insist, but it's cheaper to start with new material. I sometimes add to clarify, the material is not the major factor in the cost of your sign, it's labor. Stripping off the old stuff cost more. Then they go, ah I see what you mean, and then they just say go ahead and use new stuff if it's cheaper that way.

Just be up front and tell them that's the way it works.

Yep! +1

icex

Measured the sign and thought it was a 2x3, turned out to be a 3x4. Stripped all the old vinyl off which took about a hour on both sides, cleaned with goo gone and redid it. Looked good.

I was going to just get a new sheet from lowes but they don't carry 3x4 and my supplier only delivers biweekly.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
The main thing is, you have a happy customer. Hope you got paid enough to be a happy vendor.

OldPaint

ok now your price SHOULD BE MORE!!!
3 X 4 = 12 SQFT X 2 =24 SQ FT cost for new vinyl should be $5 sq ft so now you at $120.00.
YOU SAY it took .` HOUR PER SIDE to remove and clean up. now YOU GIVEN THAT AWAY....right???
so ill bet you did the sign for the original 2 x 3 price...HE WANTED IT DONE FOR......and you just worked FOR FREE.....did you get enough to buy a milkshake at ELBY'S big boy?????

phototec

Measured the sign and thought it was a 2x3, turned out to be a 3x4. Stripped all the old vinyl off which took about a hour on both sides, cleaned with goo gone and redid it. Looked good.

I was going to just get a new sheet from lowes but they don't carry 3x4 and my supplier only delivers biweekly.

OK, you started this out asking for HELP PRICING SIGN, so now that it's done HELP us and tell us what you CHARGED the customer?

Oh, and I'm glad to hear you did the job YOUR way, sometimes it's best just to roll up your sleeves and get the job done yourself!:thumb:

SammyG

2x3 metal sign, front and back. We went to pick up a old sign and we have to remove the vinyl off both sides (all die cut, all 2' x 3'). We then have to clean the sign and repaint it.

I know roughly what to charge for making the sign, but not sure on the labor of removal/painting/etc.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

We would charge $70/hr for labor. If my company were to complete this job and install we would be around $350.00.

Hope this helps.