Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! Printing to Mimaki JV3-160SP and RIP questions

Discussion in 'Mimaki' started by j35a, Mar 18, 2013.

1. j35a

j35a New Member

Mar 15, 2013
    Hello and good morning!
    Starting up my own small business after being in the sign industry for years.
    Trying to build a new life after my old employer went under.
    I bought a JV3-160SP, and a HP 5500ps. Both of which I am very familiar with (previously used but with a nice rip software).

So here's my questions for you wonderful people.

Can the JV3 print direct from Photoshop? (Without RIP software)
    If so, how are the results? Pros, Cons, Advice?
    I have already printed right to my HP because it has an internal RIP, but just purchased the Mimaki.

Also, what cheaper RIP softwares have you found effective to get me on my feet?
    Looking for an inexpensive way to start out before I have to shell out thousands.

Please give me any answers that you may have.
    Thank You for your time!!

2. GB2

GB2 Very Active Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Connecticut, USA
    I don't think that there is a way to print without a RIP but I don't know that for sure. I would suggest that you try to find yourself a copy of Mimaki Rasterlink, it will be the least expensive option and one of the best. I use it for years with my Mimaki and I was very happy, it did every thing I needed it to do. Now that I think about it, I don't think the person I sold my Mimaki to is using the RIP, he may be interested in selling it. PM me if you are interested.

3. Matt-Tastic

Matt-Tastic Member

Nov 25, 2008
    new RIP software is usually about the same price for barebones software. the only way you're going to get something cheap is to buy second hand an older version. you don't have to worry about compatibility with your printer, since it's old too, but you do want to make sure it will run on your computer.

an old copy of ONYX7 can be found for around 1000 if you look hard enough.

4. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    pretty certain you need RIP software to operate this machine. if we could print direct from photoshop/illustrator, then there wouldn't be a market for $1000 software.

rasterlink is your best bet, if you don't want to spend much.

5. artbot

artbot Very Active Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Houston TX
    for a beginner, i'd avoid onyx. rasterlink is a real pleasure to use (cheap to free) and has ten times more features than you'll need starting out. i'm forced to use onyx production house 10.1 now and miss my old rasterlink (wasatch) every time i need to set up a print.

6. WI

WI Member

Nov 7, 2012
    +1 for Rasterlink. We've got two Rasterlink stations in this shop and two that run Onyx. Guess which machines get filled up first?

7. tdanley

tdanley New Member

Apr 20, 2013
    Anyone know of where I can get an older copy of Rasterlink?

8. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
  9. Tekkie1

Tekkie1 Tekkie of Many Things

Apr 27, 2012
    Australia
    But you will need a security dongle for a JV3 for rasterlink.
    You dont need the dongle if you are using a jv33 or any mimaki using USB
    Firewire (JV3) needs a Mimaki dongle.
    Tekkie1:cool1: