• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help! Printing to Mimaki JV3-160SP and RIP questions

j35a

Hello and good morning!
Starting up my own small business after being in the sign industry for years.
Trying to build a new life after my old employer went under.
I bought a JV3-160SP, and a HP 5500ps. Both of which I am very familiar with (previously used but with a nice rip software).

So here's my questions for you wonderful people.

Can the JV3 print direct from Photoshop? (Without RIP software)
If so, how are the results? Pros, Cons, Advice?
I have already printed right to my HP because it has an internal RIP, but just purchased the Mimaki.

Also, what cheaper RIP softwares have you found effective to get me on my feet?
Looking for an inexpensive way to start out before I have to shell out thousands.

Please give me any answers that you may have.
Thank You for your time!!

GB2

Old Member
I don't think that there is a way to print without a RIP but I don't know that for sure. I would suggest that you try to find yourself a copy of Mimaki Rasterlink, it will be the least expensive option and one of the best. I use it for years with my Mimaki and I was very happy, it did every thing I needed it to do. Now that I think about it, I don't think the person I sold my Mimaki to is using the RIP, he may be interested in selling it. PM me if you are interested.

Matt-Tastic

new RIP software is usually about the same price for barebones software. the only way you're going to get something cheap is to buy second hand an older version. you don't have to worry about compatibility with your printer, since it's old too, but you do want to make sure it will run on your computer.

an old copy of ONYX7 can be found for around 1000 if you look hard enough.

MikePro

pretty certain you need RIP software to operate this machine. if we could print direct from photoshop/illustrator, then there wouldn't be a market for $1000 software.

rasterlink is your best bet, if you don't want to spend much.

artbot

for a beginner, i'd avoid onyx. rasterlink is a real pleasure to use (cheap to free) and has ten times more features than you'll need starting out. i'm forced to use onyx production house 10.1 now and miss my old rasterlink (wasatch) every time i need to set up a print.

WI

+1 for Rasterlink. We've got two Rasterlink stations in this shop and two that run Onyx. Guess which machines get filled up first?

Tekkie1

Tekkie of Many Things
But you will need a security dongle for a JV3 for rasterlink.
You dont need the dongle if you are using a jv33 or any mimaki using USB
Firewire (JV3) needs a Mimaki dongle.
Tekkie1:cool1: