• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HELP! Purple "A" in my windows tabs!

cOrKinSA

You Having a bad day Cork, Most of the folks here are sign makers, If I knew what the answer to what your browser malfunction was I would certainly offer a solution, but I have no Idea
Yes I know that but none here reply like they are 5 year olds and I do apologize for anyone here that has a 5 year old and are taught manners. A thread was placed earlier this month maybe about other careers that some of you may have other then working at a sign shop, and from what I've seen there are many. So this isn't really a valid excuse for anything.
Going back to the OP I want to once again thank everyone for helping me figure this out.

SignBurst PCs

Sometimes fav icons get stuck in our browsers (all browsers). The first thing I would do is clear my browsing history and temp internet files (as that is where the fav icon is cached).

By the way, I have used all kinds of different browsers and keep coming back to IE eventually. It works on all websites, which isn't something that can be said about any of the other browsers, including Firefox. I am currently using Chrome. I haven't had any security problems in IE, but I am also pretty careful about what websites I visit. Better safe than sorry.

It could be a hijack of some sort, but I would think that it have more symptoms than a changes fav icon. You may be able to flush it by clearing out your temporary internet files and browsing history.

SignsOfMaine

Signburst has it. The favicons can get confused in any browser.

Right now in firefox, I have Dinosaur Comics bookmarked. Not surprisingly the icon for it is a green T-rex. But somehow that green T-rex also got onto a pool website I visit. Later the comic site got a new favicon, but the pool website's favicon continues to be T-rex. I could fix it but I just don't care enough to try (the fix btw is to just delete the bookmark, then re-bookmark the page later. It should update the icon).

sarge

if it was me and i wanted to do the easy deal i would do a system restore .. to a point when you knew your deal was working .. and call it done

Techman

There is a reason why many computer geeks do not use Internet Explorer, and Norton products, and McAfeee products..

As for Mozilla products not working on every website. That is true. Especially on those sites written with M$ products. This is another reason why geeks to not use IE: Too many unusual lines of code that cause too many un needed hassles.

GB2

Old Member
Can you clarify your opinion that McAfee products are not worthwhile? I hear this but no one ever justifies it. I have seen major failures in other virus protection also such as AVG, which is usually recommended by those that do not recommend McAfee. I think there are periods with all virus software where they have to catch up with new threats and experience moments of vulnarability. I have been using McAfee products for years with general success but I have recently had a major compromise of one of my computers.

Bigdawg

Just Me
There's also a place somewhere in IE (don't remember exactly where) that you tell it to pull images from cache, check for updated page or reload every time. If you have it reloading every time it should take care of your favicon issue because it will load it from the server. If you have it set to pull images from cache, then it's going to grab the latest favicon.ico file your from your temporary files and use whatever one is there.

Cadmn

I have found Opera to be a very nice browser & is great for testing how your page will show up in all browsers I like the folks that figure if one virus checker is good the five are better WRONG they fight then let junk through & yes some of us were techs in our previous lifes :)

TorturdChaos

I'm using firefox on my laptop here today, and my signs101 icon is the myspace icon. ...

I have had something similar to that happen. I never really put any thought into it, usually went back to normal the next time I open FireFox.

Can you clarify your opinion that McAfee products are not worthwhile? I hear this but no one ever justifies it. I have seen major failures in other virus protection also such as AVG, which is usually recommended by those that do not recommend McAfee. I think there are periods with all virus software where they have to catch up with new threats and experience moments of vulnarability. I have been using McAfee products for years with general success but I have recently had a major compromise of one of my computers.

This is why I will NOT use Norton or McAfee

Look down at #19 & 20. Both Rank Low on a lot of anti-virus test.
Also Take a look at this list for what slows windows down.

So I can get a free anti-virus like Avast or AVG, that is more effective than Norton or McAffee that you pay a subscription for, and they take up less resources on my computer.

Hope that answers some of your questions.