• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help The Noobie

Jim Doggett

I do have some time before I begin. Here in FL, some of the sign businesses even close for July, I'm not totally sure why, etc, maybe someone could explain that.

Tour de France :^) (Probably not)

But, in a benevolent society, businesses would close in July so that its citizen could enjoy the TdF each year. Then also once every four years for The World Cup.

IMHO,

JIm

neteffect

Hey you guys thank you for the posts.

I have been learning Illustrator and I think it's awesome.

I beleive I'm going to get the EnduraCut, has anyone used it? I certainly can't afford some of the earlier recommendations. Especially since they went into the multiple of thousands.

Yeah I think I'd do just basic stuff, that is cool. Cars, banners, whatever.

Peace.

N2Harpz

Last, be prepared to spend 6 months learning the hard way. Screwing stuff up and doing it again will be the norm.

See, opening a sign shop is easy.... anyone can do it!!!

I remember those days ..... heck, I still do it now and then. ..... LOL

:•)

wes70

Hey you guys thank you for the posts.

I have been learning Illustrator and I think it's awesome.

I beleive I'm going to get the EnduraCut, has anyone used it? I certainly can't afford some of the earlier recommendations. Especially since they went into the multiple of thousands.

Yeah I think I'd do just basic stuff, that is cool. Cars, banners, whatever.

Peace.

Why does this feel like we are being played?

rm25x

Hi!

Thank you so very much you guys for the positive replies. It truly is appreciated.

I went in with someone and I got some stuff already :) I got a nice computer 3.2GHz, 2G, etc... And I got Adobe Illustrator; do you guys use that at all, is that a good thing to know, use, etc?

I'm off to look at the Summa printers like Manning+Others said.

I do have some time before I begin. Here in FL, some of the sign businesses even close for July, I'm not totally sure why, etc, maybe someone could explain that.

Take care

Jack
Ok so your spending $$ on software not even knowing if it is what you use for sign making?! Or let me guess, a bootleg copy...
There is a whole forum on this site for that program, have you even looked around this site?

I worked for a sign shop before I started my own, but I quickly learned what a hack sign shop it was, and I feel like I am starting over from scratch again.
If you think this industry is easy then be ready for a reality check. Unless of course your just interested in single color stickers for your go-kart... :banghead:

jjones1

Thanx guys for all the responses, I appreciate it.

Yeah, I wanna go into business for myself. The computer business is tight here in FL.

No, I do not want signs from my clients. Not really sure why you'd think I want signs from my clients, when this is a board on how to make signs. Not sure at all actually.

So yeah, thank you for recommending this board, I like it. And I'll be sure to find all the videos I can, I like learning that way.

Jump in and learn sounds like great advice! It's not that complicated, it's just not, and I'd love to give it a try! :)

I think I'll have much more going on with permits and setting up the business than anything else.

Please respond, I like it.

Jack

Somebody's trying to stir the vegetables to the top of the pot!!

neteffect

Hi you guys! :)

Well today I got the book "Vinyl Sign Techniques" by Jim Hingst. It is so good, wow. It's very comprehensive, from sales, marketing, materials, to fabrication, application, even removal. A good book for the newbie, that's for sure!

So anyone starting up, too? Would love to hear from you.

Take care.

LAKEWOOD SIGNS

I have been browsing this site from time to time and have only posted twice as I've read the attacks given to people who aren't in the "cliche" . It's curious how the majority of people on this site can be nasty and sarcastic because a new person is entering the industry.

I purchased an existing sign shop 4 years ago and knew nothing about signs. However, I have a strong background in sales/marketing/operations. When I entered this industry I left a corporate position. My purpose for going into a new business venture was the excitement of doing something new and take a struggling entity and make it the best I possibly can.

People have two to three careers in a lifetime. Very few stay in the same field they started out in. My plan was to cross polinate to my former customers, vendors and competitors to be their preferred sign vendor. So far this has worked and we have grown every year and are making it through this crazy economic time with tons of referrals and consistent marketing. Is it tough?? - you bet... Do we make mistakes and have do-overs?? Unfortunately yes.... Do I keep learning ways to do things more efficiently and better?? - of course. Has this site given me some good insight and ideas? Absolutely.

I have never designed or fabricated a sign with my own hands. My staff always cringes when I walk into the back room to "help" them. You can be successful in an industry without physically doing the work. As long as you have quality employees to produce the product, you will have great designs, quality products and happy repeat customers.

I have made strong relatoinships with the various jurisdictions in my area so I can assist my clients with acquiring variances on signage. We have become advocates in the Denver area for sign standardization policies and have collaborated with other sign companies on projects that were beyond our capabillites such as knowing all the engineering and wind load calcs for larger monument signs. Collaboration is a wonderful thing. Everybody wins.

I thought that was what a forum was to do. Collaborate and help people grow, give them advice and create a collaborative environment for all to be successful from information offered.

Pro Image

I have been browsing this site from time to time and have only posted twice as I've read the attacks given to people who aren't in the "cliche" . It's curious how the majority of people on this site can be nasty and sarcastic because a new person is entering the industry.

I purchased an existing sign shop 4 years ago and knew nothing about signs. However, I have a strong background in sales/marketing/operations. When I entered this industry I left a corporate position. My purpose for going into a new business venture was the excitement of doing something new and take a struggling entity and make it the best I possibly can.

People have two to three careers in a lifetime. Very few stay in the same field they started out in. My plan was to cross polinate to my former customers, vendors and competitors to be their preferred sign vendor. So far this has worked and we have grown every year and are making it through this crazy economic time with tons of referrals and consistent marketing. Is it tough?? - you bet... Do we make mistakes and have do-overs?? Unfortunately yes.... Do I keep learning ways to do things more efficiently and better?? - of course. Has this site given me some good insight and ideas? Absolutely.

I have never designed or fabricated a sign with my own hands. My staff always cringes when I walk into the back room to "help" them. You can be successful in an industry without physically doing the work. As long as you have quality employees to produce the product, you will have great designs, quality products and happy repeat customers.

I have made strong relatoinships with the various jurisdictions in my area so I can assist my clients with acquiring variances on signage. We have become advocates in the Denver area for sign standardization policies and have collaborated with other sign companies on projects that were beyond our capabillites such as knowing all the engineering and wind load calcs for larger monument signs. Collaboration is a wonderful thing. Everybody wins.

I thought that was what a forum was to do. Collaborate and help people grow, give them advice and create a collaborative environment for all to be successful from information offered.

Yes you can with a boat load of money to pay the best employees you can find........I don't think the OP has that kind of cash reserve that you did/do..........I personally don't think you are in the sign business......Your a business owner that has people make signs for you........That is a totally different ball game than what most of us play.........Put a little of your blood, sweat, and tears instead of you money and you will have a totally different point of view...........

99% of the members of this board are Artist and Craftsman that started the businesses they have from the ground up......Not just used their nest egg to buy one..........

LAKEWOOD SIGNS

So if a person doesn't make the signs personally, they are not in the sign business? If a person doesn't personally build a house they are not in the housing construction business? If a person doesn't personally move the dirt and install the plants and hardscape they arent' in the landscape business? If a person doesn't personally make and serve the food they are not in the restaurant business? If a personal doesn't personally install the roof, they are not in the roofing business?

Pro Image

So if a person doesn't make the signs personally, they are not in the sign business? If a person doesn't personally build a house they are not in the housing construction business? If a person doesn't personally move the dirt and install the plants and hardscape they arent' in the landscape business? If a person doesn't personally make and serve the food they are not in the restaurant business? If a personal doesn't personally install the roof, they are not in the roofing business?

NOPE.......The may own it.......but if they never done any of the work in the business except hire the people........they are not in the business......

Like I said 99% of the people on this board came up with HANDS ON experience.....Not going to the biggest sign company in the area and writing them a nice fat check to become the owner.....Like you said.....Your employees cringe every time you come to "help" them.......Your words not mine......

With enough money you can buy any TITLE you want.........but that still doesn't make you a sign person, contractor, chef, or landscaper.........

iSign

good point, well sorta... maybe you'll be happier at sales/marketing/operations101...

but regarding your point... just because you followed one clueless post with another clueless post... you logic would have it that you are not clueless.

Ok, I'll give you that, but Dustin wrote an entire post to explain his point of view, & he wrote one sentence that you can rightfully take issue with, but that doesn't change his valid point...

...you chose to completely overlook his valid point, and only focus in on the one questionable comment, and go waaaayyy overboard with the sarcasm, while ignoring what he was clearly trying to tell you & which you clearly need to hear... hence my own "clueless" comments.

You and your 2 months & 5 posts are in no position to make claims about "the majority of people on this site" or any "cliche" (you might want to run that one downstairs to the sign staff for proof reading)...

This is not Mr. Rodger's Atta-boy Factory offering free praise for everyone... this is a real world community of hard working business owners like yourself, and craftspeople like Dustin, myself & most others...

...allow ME to tell YOU that the majority of people on this site spend countless hours helping other, free of charge (actually paying for the opportunity, unlike yourself)...

...and if an occasional nasty or sarcastic moment occurs, believe me it does not occur whenever "a new person is entering the industry", it is when some clueless or disrespectful person enters (or buys into) the industry & shows up here with a sense of entitlement.

bella

I see nothing wrong in what you have entered into IE signs. I can only take my hat off to you for your courage, well done! There are people just like yourself through out the world who enter a field they know nothing about and succeeds with flying colours. You have only been on the form a very short time and already you are being ripped apart. I personally feel I have been ripped apart as well, but don't let that small minority put you off because there are some great people on the form. Good luck to you and I hope your success keeps crowing annually! Bella :Welcome:

Pro Image

I see nothing wrong in what you have entered into IE signs. I can only take my hat off to you for your courage, well done! There are people just like yourself through out the world who enter a field they know nothing about and succeeds with flying colours. You have only been on the form a very short time and already you are being ripped apart. I personally feel I have been ripped apart as well, but don't let that small minority put you off because there are some great people on the form. Good luck to you and I hope your success keeps crowing annually! Bella :Welcome:

Mrs. Bella I really don't get into the newbie bashing that you think you get.....but when a person comes to our community with a better that thou attitude then they need to be knocked back down to reality...

This community is made up of some of the BEST sign people from around the world...Just look in the photo section....They take the trade very seriously, so when a computer hack wants to become a sign person they get a little ill......Especially when he say's "it can't be that hard"......

So take it as bashing or being ripped apart.......I really don't care....but if your going to play in the kitchen of Signs 101 your going to be burned.....Alot.....So tuffen up or leave......Thats up to you and all the new people.......

iSign

I'll repeat what I wrote you earlier Bella, since it applies to Lakewood Signs also perpetuating a myth based on very little experience with this forum:

You wrote:
Thank the lord that I joined signs101. The people on this site are so caring and helpful...

...Oh my dear what time is it I'm late for work I just had the most incredible dream. Oh well back to reality!!!!! :cool1:

compared to the comments that seem to bug you, your sarcasm just might be far more thoughtless, unfair & annoying to hundreds of dedicated people who have been genuine caring & helpful individuals here for many many years, on real, everyday topics of interest, to real, everyday small sign business owners...

...you have the perception you have from a few short weeks, and a few specific threads. You either don't see the big picture, or you choose to focus on the vast minority of what occurs here, to make your negative comments as some form of retaliation against that small slice of this community that you don't appreciate, when you could spend your time finding the value that exists alongside the personality or flaws you choose to focus on.

Point being, you are still dreaming, and the reality still escapes you. WAKE UP!

Now, as the big defender, you are at Lakewood's side pushing your disrespectful myth again:

You have only been on the form a very short time and already you are being ripped apart. I personally feel I have been ripped apart as well...

Do either of you see the irony when you step in because one person seems to be taking a little heat (which may sometimes, but not always, be somewhat justified) and in defense of that one person being "attacked", or "ripped apart"... you decide to attack or rip apart the integrity of the entire forum?

...I've read the attacks given to people who aren't in the "cliche" . It's curious how the majority of people on this site can be nasty and sarcastic because a new person is entering the industry.

Cadmn

only a fool would oversimplify the attitudes here in this thread. Clueless n00bs come in here every day.... but it's only one every few months who sticks his foot so far in his mouth that a malicious comedian couldn't do a better job inciting a flamefest. Everything said by the OP is a perfect setup for the people here with the most valuable information to offer, ending up offended & alienated, instead of inspired to help. Those who think the veterans of this trade are 'haters" or "afraid' or "threatened"... well take a look people... it is always someone new to these boards who has such a weak minded, uninformed, self-serving impression of the veterans.

To think one more clueless n00b is a personal threat is laughable... but when we mention that the overall cumulative effect of thousands of uneducated thrillseekers (& their poorly planned entrance into sign making, through buying cheap equipment, & offering cheap crap to unwitting sign customers) is responsible for making this business less profitable...

...don't flatter yourself thinking it is because of a true competitive marketplace that our work doesn't hold up to... it is because us veterans see fools come in, & go out of business every year, and all these fools have done is sell ugly, ineffective crap, below their own required prices to stay in business... and when the suckers they sold to realize that the poor design isn't effective, or the cheap materials, and shoddy workmanship has resulted in failed products... they realize the clueless n00b is out of business & come to us veterans thinking that the prices we offer are too high, because they already know how cheap prices should be from some of you fools!

So, that is where WE are coming from... by the way, as I mentioned, there are n00bs here every day... 99% of them have shown up with respect and courtesy & have been shown the same in return. It's the 1% who start by making insulting remarks, and don't even see the error of their ways within the first few posts... those are they guys that I really do think are malicious comedians... having a laugh at the expense of anyone who doesn't recognize that their post is just a little too perfect of an invitation for battle, & a recipe for disaster... me?, I think this is just another troll & not a n00b that is actually so dense as to not put in practice the old "better to catch flies with honey, than vinegar" theory... so my post is not to the fake fool who started this thread... it was written for the real fools who are defending him!
good post & we have also watched Many come in here with that attitude & cry because they lost their arse crowley is an aweful small town for an attitude like yours there was a noob on here last year that was going to take over the sign business in Fort Worth only to be NOwhere to be found today the place where he lived was auctioned in a foreclosure auction. I think it was bought by some sign guy in fort Worth,that he was gonna put out of business Oh well we watch :rock-n-roll:

Cadmn

guys think about it if he has had "customers"sign computers in his shop he probably has copies of their programs so no need to spend the bucks for his own

bella

an opinion is an opinion whether we choose to listen to that opinion or not. We live in a free world where people are allowed an opinion that's what makes the Internet such an interesting service.

Pro Image

an opinion is an opinion whether we choose to listen to that opinion or not. We live in a free world where people are allowed an opinion that's what makes the Internet such an interesting service.

Exactly.................

Read my signature.........The first bold black line........