• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help w vinyl cutting

toomeycustoms

Have you tried to download the cutting master 2 plugin from Graphtec?

I don't think you can direct print from corel to the graphtec using the printer driver, but don't quote me on that. I've always used a third party software, i.e. Flexi or cutting master.

I'm not familiar with the opus software, but it looks like it is looking for those registration marks and when it can't find them, the plotter will give you the mark scan error.

twocents

I have changed the plotter to GPGL and now I can cut circles and squares from coreldraw to the plotter. I have vector images I tried to open and cut but they will not work. Text wont cut either. Any idea what the GPGL setting is?

you can or at least you used to b able to cut direct from corel alternatively & easier you can use a bridge like cocut which used to have a free trial as well.

twocents

Yes it does seem to be working from corel direct to the plotter, I have managed to get some text cut too, but can not get any of the vector images to cut. It is also not cutting deep enough and it will not let me add more force, when I try to up the force it tells me: "media list change is failed code 1202"

twocents

ok I have managed to cut text and change the force to where it is perfect, but the text is very small, how can I make it larger? When I make it bigger in coreldraw when I send it to the printer it says it will not fit. I am using a vinyl roll, is there a setting I need to put in? Thanks to everyone for their help so far, much appreciated

in a couple years i hope you come back and re-read this post. are you SURE that you understand vector images? what is the source of the vector images you are trying to cut, if your lettering and shapes are 'cutting' or at least controlling the plotter something is most likely wrong with the files, are they converted to curves? are all points closed, etc?

as long as the plotter and computer are communicating the rest of it is getting you up to speed and dialing in the plotter (adjusting pressure), read the instructions for your plotter if memory serves me correctly there is built in options for multiple settings for that plotter. you will need to set them for the correct amount of force/etc.

make sure that there is a good blade in the plotter and that the cutting strip is not flawed, etc and that the blade is inserted properly into the blade holder and the blade holder inserted properly in the plotter.

sizing the text is done in your design software, you are going to have to educate yourself on these basics, lynda.com is a great place to start if you do not have the time/inclination to read the instructions and teach yourself

smdgrfx

You are doing it wrong. You need to download the software - cutting master 2 plugin from Graphtec. It is on the Graphtec website. I have a Graphtech and use Corel without any problems using the plugin.

twocents

in a couple years i hope you come back and re-read this post. are you SURE that you understand vector images? what is the source of the vector images you are trying to cut, if your lettering and shapes are 'cutting' or at least controlling the plotter something is most likely wrong with the files, are they converted to curves? are all points closed, etc?

as long as the plotter and computer are communicating the rest of it is getting you up to speed and dialing in the plotter (adjusting pressure), read the instructions for your plotter if memory serves me correctly there is built in options for multiple settings for that plotter. you will need to set them for the correct amount of force/etc.

make sure that there is a good blade in the plotter and that the cutting strip is not flawed, etc and that the blade is inserted properly into the blade holder and the blade holder inserted properly in the plotter.

sizing the text is done in your design software, you are going to have to educate yourself on these basics, lynda.com is a great place to start if you do not have the time/inclination to read the instructions and teach yourself

Yes I know I will look back at this and laugh and I cant wait for that day LOL I have almost given up several times now, but today have finally made some real progress and at least got it to cut. The vector image I used came from a cd that came with this stuff called vector art Mega collection. .ai and .eps file formats. When I open them with corel it looks like a large black shape, when I click it some flowers or whatever the images are show up but than go back to a black blotch again when I let go of the pointer. Going to check out lynda.com too I know I have a LOT to learn here.

i would suggest starting REALLY simple. create a rectangle that is obviously longer than it is tall like a 2"X8" send it to your plotter. then rotate it and send it to your plotter. then you will know the orientation x and y axis of your plotter...don't worry i already know it...i'm just concerned that you might not know why your plotter does what it does at this point, not trying to poke fun or anything, you just need to understand why it does what it does..and really they only do what we/you tell them to.

if your plotter detects material that is 15" wide and you are trying to send a design that is 18" it will send you an error. or you can switch the orientation (or panel the project) all depending on the project at hand.

my guess is you have multiple operator errors happening , you are going to have to learn the process so that you can create predictable useable results. if you are going to teach yourself this is going to be a tremendous amount of trial and error..but doable. you just have to keep plugging away and eliminating gliches/errors/etc.

twocents

Can you tell me what size I need to put i n for a roll of vinyl 24" wide? Everything I cut is tiny in comparision to the roll, the largest letters I can cut are .5"

twocents

Just trying to cut larger than the .5" letters that keep coming out, I am wondering if it is the size of the media I need to adjust in corel?

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
since it wasn't really stated that you know that you are indeed cutting vector files and not trying to take jpgs or gifs and throwing them into corel and trying to cut those ... except the one time "yes i'm cutting vector" ..

http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/aboutgraphics/a/bitmapvector.htm

Now on to how to resize. Get this book, it will help.

http://www.amazon.com/CorelDRAW-Off...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1315520423&sr=1-1

Lynda.com is also great for tutorials.

As for the plotter, the cutting software that lets you send straight from corel should have settings such as speed and pressure, but the graphtec I have at home also has a setting on the plotter, familiarize yourself with the plotters manual and ensure the plotter itself is set to the right pressure for the vinyl and that the blade in the holder is set to the correct depth.

and that your cutting strip isn't torn to crap.

twocents

since it wasn't really stated that you know that you are indeed cutting vector files and not trying to take jpgs or gifs and throwing them into corel and trying to cut those ... except the one time "yes i'm cutting vector" ..

http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/aboutgraphics/a/bitmapvector.htm

Now on to how to resize. Get this book, it will help.

http://www.amazon.com/CorelDRAW-Off...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1315520423&sr=1-1

Lynda.com is also great for tutorials.

As for the plotter, the cutting software that lets you send straight from corel should have settings such as speed and pressure, but the graphtec I have at home also has a setting on the plotter, familiarize yourself with the plotters manual and ensure the plotter itself is set to the right pressure for the vinyl and that the blade in the holder is set to the correct depth.

and that your cutting strip isn't torn to crap.

It all seems to be cutting correctly, just tiny letters. No matter what I do in corel it tells me it does not fit the media. I have it set at 24"x100" I can make it larger with corel but it will not fit the media when I send it to the graphtec to cut. It cuts tiny .5" letters. As for the vector images I have a cd of vector art mega collection and it will not cut any of those images.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
It all seems to be cutting correctly, just tiny letters. No matter what I do in corel it tells me it does not fit the media. I have it set at 24"x100" I can make it larger with corel but it will not fit the media when I send it to the graphtec to cut. It cuts tiny .5" letters. As for the vector images I have a cd of vector art mega collection and it will not cut any of those images.

My Vector Art cd also has bitmaps not just vector, ensure your files are properly imported (as they can be imported as a bitmap) and that you are in fact not loading the bitmap files.

You may need to just suck it up and invest $100 and get flexi starter.
http://www.uscutter.com/Flexi-Starter-8-6-Dongle-All-Driver-Edition-SASFLXSTDNGL

then just export from corel, load into flexi and cut.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.

Try setting it at 100"x24". You probably have the X and Y axes confused. Normally the media feed direction is the X direction and the left/right carriage travel direction is the Y direction.

Even at that you can't specify 24" wide on a roll of 24" media. The plotter requires both left and right margins for the feed rollers. In the printing industry this was called 'Gripper'. You should be able to set your feed rollers for whatever media you and, if your plotter and software are worth the powder to blow them across the street, have the software read back from the plotter the actual Y distance available to it.

Be sure and set the plotter's 'Condition Priority' in the background settings to 'Manual'. This will cause the plotter to not pay any attention to various setting that your software is trying to set. It only pays attention to the settings you have made on the plotter itself.

signage

Did you get the manual with the plotter?

Have you read it?

If not read it, if you didn't get one go to Graphtecs site and down load it.