• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help with adding some dimension

Hello,

Please help me with some ideas to add dimension to my sign. I posted another thread asking for installation advice so it might help to know that I plan to install this sign between two gas station sign posts that are ten feet apart.

The sign will be cut out to shape and the only other things I could think of doing would be to make the "AG" cutout and on some sort of stand off and making the "graphics" panel a cut out on stand offs.

Any ideas on what to do to add some dimension to this? Also, what about substrate material...Alumalite???

Thanks

Attachments

• New logo.jpg
    New logo.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 104
I've never used Sintra. Would I apply with Liquid nails or something such?

If I just bought white boards what type of paint would you suggest?

Last edited:

J Hill Designs

I would use black sintra - black returns add to the dimension - use vinyl for the faces - mount with vhb/silicone combo (or if sign is only single sided, screw from back for added strength)

SignManiac

Is the sign single face or double? If double, you panel is not symmetrical. Take that into consideration. Also you will need to think about how you plan to attach between 10' of space with regards to structural and your choice of materials based on that.

Sky Watch,

Due to the way I will have to install it will be single sided.

I started another thread about installation. If you would please, take a look and tell me what you think.

Thanks

J Hill Designs

Might as well throw this out here as well - it may help out others, it may not

for the dimension, use 1/2" black sintra covered in white and yellow (depending on which letters of course) - cut out the craze A in the circle as 2 pieces, and all of the lettering (ABOVE ALL) and the pill-box with GRAPHICS in in - back ground - probably 1/4" alumacore would work best - with the whole graphic printed/applied (might as well do the whole graphic, the lettering being there will aid in placement of your sintra dimensional pieces), and screw them in from the back.

horizontal angle iron with vertical supports where the panel will be sounds like a good plan.

Heres the extremely rough idea of putting the circle to the right (needs a bunch of fiddling, but it may work out [it may not])

Attachments

• aag.jpg
    aag.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 92

k.a.s.

I would cut patterns out of some cheap vinyl and apply those to the sintra and cut with a jig saw from that pattern. After they are all cut apply your final vinyl.

Kevin

Might as well throw this out here as well - it may help out others, it may not

for the dimension, use 1/2" black sintra covered in white and yellow (depending on which letters of course) - cut out the craze A in the circle as 2 pieces, and all of the lettering (ABOVE ALL) and the pill-box with GRAPHICS in in - back ground - probably 1/4" alumacore would work best - with the whole graphic printed/applied (might as well do the whole graphic, the lettering being there will aid in placement of your sintra dimensional pieces), and screw them in from the back.

horizontal angle iron with vertical supports where the panel will be sounds like a good plan.

Heres the extremely rough idea of putting the circle to the right (needs a bunch of fiddling, but it may work out [it may not])

Thanks Jhill,

I'm a bit confused. First let me ask can I use cut vinyl instead of a print? So the dimensional portions would be the words "Above All' and the crazy "a" and the yellow pill box in 1/2 sintra. This would all be mounted on 1/4 alumalite that is cut to shape?

Thanks....Tim

J Hill Designs

what I would do if you are hand cutting this is: fully cover the sintra in the final color (white or yellow depending) - then transfer tape - then apply the lettering to the transfer tape with cheap-o calendared -- cut using the calendared as a pattern, when done remove both cal vinyl and trasnfer tape. no matter any cutting inconsistencies, your letter will be fully covered in the correct vinyl color

what I would do if you are hand cutting this is: fully cover the sintra in the final color (white or yellow depending) - then transfer tape - then apply the lettering to the transfer tape with cheap-o calendared -- cut using the calendared as a pattern, when done remove both cal vinyl and trasnfer tape. no matter any cutting inconsistencies, your letter will be fully covered in the correct vinyl color

AWESOME IDEA....I would have never thought of doing that. Thanks a bunch!!!

I just wanted to add that I got more great ideas about how to make the total sign more "finished" from some other members on here.

Thanks!!!

Marlene

are you any good at cutting out things with a jigsaw? you don't want this to look like a kid did with a chainsaw. you might want to invest in some custom cut Gemini letters.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I asked Tim if he wanted to see some dimension on what he already has & here is the result.
Not something I would try with a skill saw or handheld router, but a little horse trading with the owner of a cnc table could get it there.

wayne k
guam usa

Attachments

• aag-ao_pass.jpg
    aag-ao_pass.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 96
  • aag-color.jpg
    aag-color.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 135