• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help With Box-truck Rivets..

Sven

I have problems installing cut vinyl over box-truck rivets. I get wrinkles in the vinyl. The taped vinyl 'tents' over the rivets. Then I have problems peeling the tape without ripping or pulling the vinyl off. I can't push the vinyl down over the rivet with the tape on because the tape is stiff. What's the technique?..

Sven

That looks good for wrap vinyl, but what about cut vinyl and transfer tape, which is stiff. How would that work?

Sven

OK, that's news to me. How to pull the rivet then? Special tool? Do they all come out and go back in the same way?

Sven

Is there a softer transfer tape that will help me push the vinyl around the rivet? I think that might do the trick because the problem really is the tape, not the vinyl.

Sven

So the round part is a cap that pops off, and the rivet is really a screw? Sorry, it's new to me..

Billct2

Can't really explain it in words but it can be done. We use RTape conform, you go easy on the rivets and peel carefully and go back and work it down. Sometimes rivets or screws can be removed, but sometimes not. And depending on the design sometimes you can't "lose" the area on a rivet.

Last edited:

Sven

My problem in the past has been that the taped vinyl starts to wrinkle as we pass the rivet, and then the whole graphic is ruined.

CP Signs

I use a gold 3m squeegee with felt on it and never never have problems. No wrinkles at all, pull the tape then conform the vinyl around the rivet and done. Screws you can remove, rivets NEVER.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
CP Signs has it right. Squeegee over the rivets like they are not there.
Don't try to conform or tuck them in tight with the mask on, just let them tent over and finish off the rest of the graphic.
Pull the masking off and work the vinyl down around the rivets with a little heat.

wayne k
guam usa

tsgstl

Might as well just trim out the rivet instead of popping it off. I mean if your not going to cover it.

As far as working over it, experience is the only thing that's going to help. Every rivet is different and so is every vinyl. And temperature is even a factor. Sometimes you can just act like they aren't there and work out the air after you carefully remove the transfer tape. And then sometimes I treat it like a obstacle when I wrap, work around it trying to keep the rest of the material as level as possible. Then once again carefully remove the transfer tape and work it out. If its text I hinge everything and put down letters that will be effected by the rivet separately.

What I said probably makes no sense when you read it, it's easier to show.

Border

I most always apply wet over rivets when transfer tape is involved...

-OK, don't take that seriously...

stickerman12

When you get about 3" from rivet start using very light pressure until air is traped all the way around the rivet. Go back later and push air toward rivet until bubble is somewhat tight. punch hole and oush air out.

phototec

Leaned a neat trick from a old friend, it take a little extra planning, when applying app tape, you put down large pieces of app tape and leave about a 2" wide strip bare in the rough location of the vertical line of rivets/screws, then put a separate piece of app tape about 4" wide down the rivet/screw area, it over laps both the left and right pieces of app tape so it can be removed later.

Now, you place you cut graphics into position on the box truck, and align the rivet/screw app tape section with the actual rivets/screws on the box truck. When applying pressure to the flat areas of the main graphics on the flat surface, you leave the line of rivets just tented over the actual rivet/screw row (vertical), apply pressure to everything except the vertical rivet/screw area, now peel the 4" wide vertical strip from the row of rivets/screws, pulling down against it's self.

Then after the 4" wide piece of app tape is off the column of rivets/screws, which are slightly tented over the rivets/screws, you heat the area with the rivets slightly and use the Rollie Pro to conform the vinyl to the rivets/screws and roll out any air that would be trapped. Heat is important in these applications because it softens the vinyl, letting it conform to the irregular shapes of the rivet/screw heads.

I know some installers tear away a section of the app tape, bu I feel this method is better for me.

Works Great!

Here is a link to a tip from 3M for using a punch to cut the vinyl around the rivet head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq8ylkM6zjY

:smile: